PDA

View Full Version : another Florida question

I.M. Green
09-14-2009, 06:12 PM
why don't we use mulch kits? The only reason I don't is because that's the way I learned when I worked for someone else. However, I know that alot of homeowners with the little push mowers, that's all they do and the grass looks great! I have asked at the shop and they say "just put a shoot blocker on it" which I have done, but it leaves a "snail trail". So I am thinking of a mulching kit for my Exmark but don't want to throw money away.

GravelyNut
09-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Mulch kits are iffy in this area. We install them when a customer asks for them. But sometimes less than 2 weeks later end up pulling them off. Others swear by them so it's all up to the customers. Reason some don't work is visible outside right now. Cut the grass Saturday night ( finished at 2030) and it could use it already. Actually, it could have used it again by Sunday morning. :( The rain before and after mowing didn't help except that it drove the clippings into the grass.

ed2hess
09-14-2009, 06:46 PM
We have run mulch plates on mowers for over 30 years and cut exactly the same grass you have. And that little bit that falls out on the right side is simply picked up on the next round by overlapping the mower a little bit. All our yards are cut in CW manner starting on outside.

lawnboy dan
09-14-2009, 07:17 PM
same here -only mulching

a clear difference lawn
09-14-2009, 08:36 PM
I service close to 60 lawns a week and mulch them all year round. Wavy blades in spring and summer - gators in fall and winter. Works great for me and saves lots of time on cleanup. Much less blowing.

justanotherlawnguy
09-14-2009, 08:54 PM
we mulch exclusively, i see guys who side discharge and the mess is just ungodly!!!!! I have mulched st augustine from 7" down to 4.75 and it looks beautiful. Bahia gets iffy sumetimes, but as long as it is cut real short it mulchs nice.

the grass has to be real wet for it to be ineffective...

fobaum
09-14-2009, 08:58 PM
I had a mulching kit on my gravely and it sucked, worked pretty good for floratam(st augustine)but not heavy growth. And bohia :nono:forget about it.

C4chris70
09-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Year round mulching for all 130 accounts.

unkownfl
09-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Mulch everyday. I have the real mulching kit for my toro not just a plate.

lot0210
09-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Not only does it leave a nice finish but muching also gets nutriants back to the grass sooner and there for makes the lawn healthier

LouisianaLawnboy
09-15-2009, 12:42 AM
I have the real mulching kit for my Gravely and it works great for St. Augustine. Don't bother with the chute blocker, it leaves a whole bunch of clippings.
Posted via Mobile Device