PDA

View Full Version : Oak Tree Help!

dwc
09-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Can someone help me identify whats going on with this oak tree? As you can see in the pics, the tree is thinning and yellowing. The leaves that are still on the tree have small brown spots on them and you can see it in the pics of the leaves that have fell.

Any ideas?

integrityman
09-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Some type of Fungal leaf spot. Probably fungus Taphrina deformans You should take a sample to a local extension office for their opinion. I would recommend an application of high quality fertilizer.

integrityman
09-15-2009, 12:40 AM
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/images/Pests/Pest1345.jpg

turf hokie
09-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Before I even look at the leaves or begin to diagnose, my first question is how long ago was that tiny, good for nuthin tree ring put in?

dwc
09-15-2009, 09:23 PM
thats just a dirt ring around it just to keep the grass away from the trunk.

thanks integrity!

turf hokie
09-15-2009, 09:33 PM
I just always start with mechanical issues before I start to diagnose fungus etc.

If there is no ring cut into the ground that would have cut feeder roots recently then Integrity starts to look like he has it nailed.

Good luck

integrityman
09-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Again, take a few samples in for your extension agent to look at. Seek their recommendations for treatment.

dwc
09-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Nothing has disturbed the root zone. I will see if I can take some samples in and see what they think also but it looks like you have it narrowed down. Thanks for the help!

RigglePLC
09-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Is it a pin oak? They have a reputation for getting iron deficiency. Yellow leaves with green veins--brown spots. Common unless the soil is acid. An iron spray will help this situation a lot. Also if you acidify the soil or apply iron chelatee to the soil it will correct an iron deficiency. http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2006/8-23/deficiency.html
Actually leaves do not look like pin oak--try to identify the type of tree first. Red oak has a reputation for dying from oak wilt.
http://www.anr.msu.edu/robertsd/oakwilt/

Smallaxe
09-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Oak wilt has hit Wisco now and may very well do what it did 60 years ago. Does OK have that problem?

garydale
09-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Look into this one.

Bacterial Leaf Scorch

Bacterial leaf scorch is a relatively new disease of shade trees and affects a large number of plants including elm, oak (see above photo), sycamore, maple, mulberry and hickory in the landscape. Symptoms typically appear in mid to late summer on lower branches as irregular marginal browning on interior leaves. Symptoms progress along the branch towards the tip. Symptoms will occur every year and progress through the crown. Scorched areas may have a yellow halo around them depending on the tree species. Reduced growth and dieback are also common in severely infected plants. These symptoms are sometimes mistaken for drought, environmental stress, or other diseases.

Bacterial scorch symptoms differ from drought scorch symptoms, in that they appear first on the lower branches and on the older interior leaves. Drought scorch symptoms will be more uniform and will first appear near the upper branches and on the younger leaves near the tips of the branches.

Management: There are not treatments for bacterial leaf scorch. However, infected trees may continue to persist in the landscape if symptomatic branches and dead wood is pruned out promptly. Antibiotic trunk injections have shown promise but they only relieve symptoms and donít provide a cure.

turfman07
09-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Looks like Tubakia Leaf Spot.

gunsnroses
09-17-2009, 12:20 AM
It could be a few different leaf fungus. It is normal. Have you had pretty good moisture in the past few weeks? or high humidity? It looks to me like the side of the tree we are looking at is the North side, and I bet you took the pic at about almost 6pm. If that is true and you recieved some good afternoon showers then that water sat on the leaf all night and a few hours into the morning until the sun came up over the other trees on the left to dry it out. Wet or dry weather patterns can make or break a region for fall leaf color due to fungus levels on leaves and leaf drop . It seems like it is kinda one sided...like you had a larger tree removed on the right that made it sort of grow wierd. If I was you I would not stress unless you have some large branch loss. Fert and prune it in early spring.