PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner looking for advice on laying Belgium block curb

sjg
09-15-2009, 04:08 AM
I a homeowner planning to lay Belgian /Belgium block (jumbo size) along my existing asphalt driveway (50') as an edge. I want to lay the blocks at an angle (vs placing them vertically) in concrete (using sakrete mix). I have dug trenches 10" wide and 7" deep along the edges of the driveway. My questions

a) the current edge of the asphalt driveway is jagged in places and not straight -some places small pieces have broken off. Overall however the asphalt is in good shape - no cracks etc. If I place a line I can trim off most of the jagged edges to get mostly a straight line except one section which has broken off where I may have to come back and fill it in later.Is this advisable?

b) Once I lay block on concrete I expect that there will be varying gaps of upto an inch or more between the block edge and the asphalt edge because the edges of the blocks are rough. What would you suggest so that I can get a clean edge? Is there something I can do to make it look pleasing? Do I fill the gap with stone dust/sand or mortar?

I am really not understanding :confused:how to make where the edge of the blocks meet the asphalt meet look good. I have seen driveways where the blocks are laid first using a concrete form and then the driveway asphalt is poured-these have the asphalt coming upto the concrete edge and look nice a straight- want to know what is normally done when installing the blocks along an existing asphalt driveway.

c)Any tips on laying the blocks in concrete on an angle - how do I get the blocks to stay aligned at an angle once I place them in the concrete?

Also plan to leave 1 inch gaps between the blocks and fill them with mortar later.

Would appreciate any and all advice. :)

Moneypit
09-15-2009, 09:56 PM
a) the current edge of the asphalt driveway is jagged in places and not straight -some places small pieces have broken off. Overall however the asphalt is in good shape - no cracks etc. If I place a line I can trim off most of the jagged edges to get mostly a straight line except one section which has broken off where I may have to come back and fill it in later.Is this advisable?

Thats a perfect game plan.

b) Once I lay block on concrete I expect that there will be varying gaps of upto an inch or more between the block edge and the asphalt edge because the edges of the blocks are rough. What would you suggest so that I can get a clean edge? Is there something I can do to make it look pleasing? Do I fill the gap with stone dust/sand or mortar?

Why do you say the gaps will be an inch or more? I have cut many existing driveways to install a belgium block curb but never end up with more then maybe half an inch gap. Perhaps your stones or more irregular? I always filled the gaps with the same concrete that I used to lay the stones and it looks fine. If you want to get a little creative, you could always add black dye to your mix so the gaps will have black cement to match the driveway rather than white.

c)Any tips on laying the blocks in concrete on an angle - how do I get the blocks to stay aligned at an angle once I place them in the concrete?

Im not sure what kind of look your going for here. I have never installed them this way and I dont think I have ever seen them angled either. Either way, your going to be following a string line. The bottom of the block will be against your straight cut (hopefully) of the driveway, and the top will be against your stringline which will be further back then the driveway cut. This will create the angle your looking for if I understand you correctly. What keeps them in place from falling backwards is the mound of concrete you will place continuously behind all of the stones. Good luck.

sjg
09-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Thank you for your helpful reply-

Perhaps I was exgaggerating with the gaps :) - but some of the blocks have quite irregular edges (concave) -not sure how it will pan out when placed against the asphalt edge -will take your advice and fill with concrete or perhaps mortar?

On the angled install of belgium block - its fairly common in this part of central NJ. I tried to find some pictures to illustrate the look that I am going after -these will give you an idea (none of them are exact- I am installing them against existing driveway, some of these are where the driveway came later). I will be installing with the longest edge of the block (10") against the driveway edge.

http://snconcretepavers.com/images/Portfolio%202/13.jpg
http://www.rosecitypaving.com/nss-folder/gallery/belgium_block.jpg
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bladegardencenter.com/gallery/albums/album13/drive_belg_blck_5_059.thumb.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bladegardencenter.com/gallery/album13&usg=__TWz3-nxq2BUTJF645qeE20lX1Cc=&h=188&w=250&sz=25&hl=en&start=590&sig2=l_ELPHtilEYSxMNcQTYMmA&tbnid=IBEelONGLyvz6M:&tbnh=83&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbelgium%2Bblock%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D576&ei=0kGwSuaBK4af8Aby4bWlDA