PDA

View Full Version : Single versus Dual Hydro Question - Quick Mower

jweiner
09-15-2009, 12:10 PM
I think I am going to pull the trigger and purchase a Quick 36" mower. Can someone please tell me the main difference(s) between the unit that has single hydrostatic drive versus the unit called the Dually with dual hydrostatic drive? Thanks in advance!

luis@NJ
09-15-2009, 12:32 PM
The single means you kinda have to steer it by hand but the dually goes in any direction via triggers on top.

jweiner
09-15-2009, 01:30 PM
So does that mean when I am cutting in a straight line with a Dually, I have to squeeze two triggers the same amount or I'll end up drifting off in one direction? With a single hydro, do both wheels just go straight when one trigger is pulled? If that is the case, a single hydro almost sounds better.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-15-2009, 01:41 PM
weiner.

To simplify, I call BOP's Dually line 'full power steering' aka the only effort it takes by you to steer is to push the levers. The single hydros do require you to physically turn the machine - there is a single grip lever that controls your speed and with the differential, the machine will travel straight unless you physically turn it. The biggest thing to get used to is turning 180's at the end of a pass, you have to 'throw' your weight a bit and swing er around at reduced ground speed. It is not too difficult once you get the hang of it. The Dually, however, makes things that much easier:)

HighFiveBassin
09-15-2009, 02:18 PM
I have the Quick 36 single that I use for my own lawn. It takes a little effort to turn but it certainly isn't hard. My yard is flat except one small area that has a slight grade. I can feel the quick wanting to fall off to the downhill side and turning up the grade takes a little more effort but as I said, the grade is slight and the area small. The Dually would be overkill for me but if you have a yard with hills the Dually will be easier to use and the better choice.

jweiner
09-15-2009, 02:42 PM
So just to clarify - if there aren't any hills or other significant grade changes, the single hydro is adequate without to much effort needed for 180 degree turns? Or . . is making 180 degree turns with a single hydro a bit of a pain?

clinicalengineer
09-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Have you ever operated a self-propelled snow blower? Its basically like that. You have 1 lever to engage your drive. All of the the steering comes from your effort :weightlifter:. The dually requires little to no effort to turn, the machine is doing all of the turning for you.

jkilov
09-15-2009, 04:40 PM
So just to clarify - if there aren't any hills or other significant grade changes, the single hydro is adequate without to much effort needed for 180 degree turns? Or . . is making 180 degree turns with a single hydro a bit of a pain?

You got it right bro. On flat terrain and a skilled person a single hydro performs as well as dual. 180 turns are a breeze, just remember to use the machine's momentum to your advantage. It's easier to do than explain: To turn 180 left, when you're moving to the end of the row, gently start turning left, when you reach the end slam in reverse. This transfers forward momentum into turning momentum. Once you're near 150 or so just pop in forward and it straightens out, a simple K turn. Only to start turns do you need to apply force. Easiest way of explaining it would be if you were to slam a truck in reverse during a high speed turn it would spin out.

A few other advantages: Single hydro is nearly $1k cheaper, reliable, easy to service, does'nt need tracking adjustments and practically never ruts. One hand is free to hold tree branches out of the way and such.

On hills the single is worthless compared to dual, the deck wants to dive down, top wheel likes to spin out, requires sumo-wrestling effort.

jweiner
09-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Yeah - so now I just went to take a look at a local dealer and he thinks I should go with a Deere x300 with a Mulching kit. It was fun to drive. He said commercial walk-behinds aren't popular at all anymore?!?

HighFiveBassin
09-15-2009, 05:33 PM

Before buying my Quick that was the biggest question in my mind and I read everything I could find about the Quick. It's hard to explain how much effort is needed. I don't consider it hard to turn but it will take a little more effort then a Dual Hydro. I don't consider it tiring to turn on level ground. It's all about technique and giving it the proper amount of forward control while turning which just takes practice. I find it is easier when turning at the end of a row to turn about 110 to 120 degrees in forward and finish the turn in reverse. It feels to me like I take less steps and don't "swing around" in a arc as much. You also don't cut divets with the inside tire although this isn't a big problem unless the turf is real soft since the Quick is light.

I don't know about the slamming it in reverse thing. I'll give it a try. As far as having a free hand to move branches, the left handlebar has a safety lever and if you take your hand off of it with the blades engaged the mower will stop and the engine will die.

Hawkshot99
09-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah - so now I just went to take a look at a local dealer and he thinks I should go with a Deere x300 with a Mulching kit. It was fun to drive. He said commercial walk-behinds aren't popular at all anymore?!?

Let me guess. Your not looking at any walk behinds with him are you? Walk behinds are alive and very popular.

CharlotteOutdoorImpact
09-15-2009, 07:10 PM
I have a very nice quick 36 single hydro. Its for sale at a cheap price. I really like it and am only selling because I need money for a skid sprayer... I will have to use a regular 21 inch mower for gated yards until I have money again for another 36. I am selling it at a real good price, you should check it out.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=287855

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-15-2009, 07:35 PM
If you are mowing flat yards only, go with the single hydro Ninja or Samurai. Take the savings, you can't go wrong with either machine.

stephen424
09-15-2009, 08:07 PM
yeah, it really depends on what you're mowing. if you're ONLY mowing flat lawns, go with a single hydro. But if you have ANY hills and don't feel like putting in effort to zero turn, go with a dual. it's worth it.
you'll notice in the classified section on this board, there are about 5 quick singles for sale, NO duals.
That should tell you something...

Go with the dual.

CharlotteOutdoorImpact
09-15-2009, 08:17 PM
yeah, it really depends on what you're mowing. if you're ONLY mowing flat lawns, go with a single hydro. But if you have ANY hills and don't feel like putting in effort to zero turn, go with a dual. it's worth it.
you'll notice in the classified section on this board, there are about 5 quick singles for sale, NO duals.
That should tell you something...

Go with the dual.

The reason there aren't any duals for sale is they are relatively new. Better Outdoor Products just started making them. Is $1000 or more worth it?

For something light, easy to work on and do maintenance, reliable, powerful, and inexpensive you cant beat it. With the Aluminum Accelerator Catcher it is also very handy for fall clean ups. just suck up the leaves and dump, repeat until done. Nice tool for those smaller gated yards.

david shumaker
09-15-2009, 08:28 PM
I've got the 32" single. It's OK on flat ground, but the single hydro seems to want to pull to the right like a grocery cart with a bad wheel. I'd get the dual hydro.

I've also got a 36" belt drive Exmark walkbehind and it's easier to turn than the single hydro and handles better on slopes.

THC
09-15-2009, 08:40 PM
If a single hydro handles like a snow blower (something I'm extremely familiar with) then I would rather have a belt machine. I'd go for dually.

ed2hess
09-15-2009, 09:43 PM
I would buy a Scag belt drive machine before buying any single hydro. You can't image how annoying it is to hold those units on a straight line even on small grades. I suggest the Scag because it is reliable and likely priced a little closer to the single hydro. And if you don't stay in the business a long time the Scag will sell ....not sure about a single hydro.

jweiner
09-15-2009, 10:17 PM
DA Quality Lawn - Are you pleased with how your Quick 36 mulches with the mulching accessory?

ALC-GregH
09-15-2009, 10:26 PM
I love my Dually. :D

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC01696.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC01699.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC01660.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC01664.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC01678.jpg
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC01674.jpg

THC
09-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Now I see why you can't go up and down a curb with those things. Look how far that bumper sticks out behind the rear tires, and how low it is.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/DSC01696.jpg

lifetree
09-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Now I see why you can't go up and down a curb with those things. Look how far that bumper sticks out behind the rear tires, and how low it is. ...

Yes, that is somewhat of an issue ... however, what I did was simply build 2 small curb ramps made from wood which are 10" in length and 6" in height and now I can get the Quick 36" Dually up and down curbs without a problem !!

jkilov
09-16-2009, 06:00 PM
I don't know about the slamming it in reverse thing. I'll give it a try. As far as having a free hand to move branches, the left handlebar has a safety lever and if you take your hand off of it with the blades engaged the mower will stop and the engine will die.
I'm not sure about the quick since mine is a ferris and the contols are different, but in terms of handling I'd expect it to be similar.

I'm deffinetively more interested in how a belt drive compares to single hydro. Problem is I've never owned or demoed a belt.