PDA

View Full Version : Sub Contracting and just starting up

MikeWeingand
09-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Hey guys first post here as im new to the forum. Anyway I'm a full time college student in bloomington,il and work for a local LCO but am planning on starting my own business and going to school part time in the spring. Since we have two insurance national headquarters (State Farm and Country) and 4 colleges in this town there are alot of people with alot of money with yards that they want mowed haha. Anyway my main question is my girlfriends dad is the regional manager of tru-green here and has a bunch of yards to sub contract out for mowing and im curious what some of the more experienced, professionals thoughts are on sub contracting. I know it would be a good way to get my name out there but im not sure if the money is there. I attached an image of my logo that i made as well just for some thoughts on it :laugh: Any other starting up tips would be appreciated.

HOOLIE
09-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Subcontracting is not a bad thing necessarily, you just want to have a good idea of how you'll be paid, and when :) Since you have connections hopefully it will be a good situation. I sub out work and pay promptly but I seem to be out of the norm.

MikeWeingand
09-15-2009, 01:39 PM
thats good to know.. should i still do a bid on it or just let them dictate the pricing on the lawns

CSL&L
09-16-2009, 08:36 PM
The contrator is the one who bids the properties. Then hires you. Do not bid on the properties

SangerLawn
09-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Few things here that concern me.

First it is for your girl friend’s dad. If you two break up is he going to boot you? Don’t give me the line you don’t believe you will ever break up because no one ever plans on that…..think about what if you do.

Second, subcontracting normally means you get the crappy left over work that no one else wants.

Third, it is for tru-green. I don’t know if you know much about the green industry or not? I have lived in 3 states and all 3 of them had tru-gree/chemlawn. Almost all lawn care professionals look down on that company. They hire anyone and tell them they have to do so much in production a day. As a result most of them don’t have a clue about lawn care and run through the lawns just trying to get them done not doing them correctly. In return they have the largest turn around rate of almost any lawn care company in the country. If you don’t believe me ask him why they have to keep telemarketers on the phone getting leads…..yes, I worked for them for 2 years when I was out of high school…….long story short…once it is seen that you do work for them I promise your reputation will go down.

A few more thoughts…….if he gets fired are you going to loose the work? Is the work close together or are you going to be driving all over the country trying to cut $30 yards? O yea…there subbed so you will probably make $20 for a $30 lawn.

I would have to say it is a bad idea…… go get your own work and build your own reputation or subcontract to better company.

LouisianaLawnboy
09-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Subcontracting isn't necessarily a bad thing, but like sanger said just not for TruGreen if they are that bad(don't have them here).

You might have to though, when just starting out. BTW no-one but the customer would know u were subcontracting for TruGreen.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-17-2009, 02:17 AM
Hope everything works out for you.

cylinder3missfire
09-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Im no expert but I think the logo looks alright. You might want to think about what colors you will be putting it against though. That toothpaste blue might be difficult to read from any distance. Good luck with your venture! I too am trying to get my ducks in a row for a 2010 startup. Gathering items slowly but surely!

landscapedesignpros
09-20-2009, 10:01 PM
I might have a couple of lawns you can have, I never liked mowing and did another landscaping friend a favor and have been doing a couple of his mowing accounts and Im just to busey to be dealing with that, I dont offer mowing services Good luck who are you working for?

MikeWeingand
09-21-2009, 07:49 PM
alright guys sorry it took so long to get back to you ive been pretty busy.. ive decided to take the sub contracting through tru green jsut as a way to get my name out there and since pretty much nobody will really know im working through tru-green haha. its quite a few commercial jobs so it wont just be 30 bucks here and there. I really appreciate all the input and will keep everyone updated with pictures once i start getting things together for the business