PDA

View Full Version : Generac isnt going anywhere....

gunner4green
09-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Ive been studying these mowers now for approximately 8 months, due to having a strong 2 acres to mow mostly flat and smooth. The machines Im lookin at are hustler, and BB and BobCat....with a nice vanguard, or a generac for ponies. the hustler doesnt carry the VG or the Gen, so that kinda blows cause it fits me pretty good ( I am 6'6 and 3/4 and 480# I know my motors pretty good, and I dont sneeze at the Kaw's to much but I just know that VG's and the Gen motor are outstanding for their power and fuel intake etc...The BB has the VG, however the brake and the H O C mechanism is kinda scary as far as changing the H O C and returning it to the previous setting etc...I'm leaning real hard on the Bobcat due to it having the Gen motor option, and thats cool too...However, I been learning and puttin together a hypothetical package, and Ive seen on here that Bobcat wasnt gonna carry the Gen motor no longer....that isnt entirely true....:nono: I just talked to a rep at CGC or schiller grounds care in Johnson Creek WI. about this rumor. He pointed straight out that the Gen motor was still going to be continued as an option...and that the rumor was a farce...The other reason for leaning on the Bobcat idea is that my Son has Spina Bifida, and has no use of his legs, and I wanted to put his butt to work cuttin grass. The HOC mechanism is more feasible for him unlike the other mowers. Since he is in a wheel chair, learning the control levers will be nothing for him to learn, other than being hell on wheels and learning to turn the machine without tearing turf up etc...so....Im pleased to hear that Generac is still an option for these Bobcat mowers....here is the number I called to get this 411... 1 866 469 1242 BB and the bobcat are more friendly in price too, so thats keepin mama happy LOL :cool2:

pugs
09-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Check with your dealer. See if they have had good luck getting parts for Generac. We have not and currently send anything with a generac packing.

White Gardens
09-15-2009, 04:58 PM
I've always loved the Generac for power.

They do consume a little oil and are definite gas guzzlers, but the cylinders are tough. (that's why the consume a little oil)

Green King
09-15-2009, 06:22 PM
I would say go with the Bobcat but wait for the DFI 37hp kawasaki engine! I would suspect it will be available in the spring!

HenryB
09-15-2009, 06:38 PM
I would say go with the Bobcat but wait for the DFI 37hp kawasaki engine! I would suspect it will be available in the spring!

From experience I'd avoid the 37 Kawy like a plague. They have some issues My Generac has been amazing. Flawless, powerful 1.5GPH.

gunner4green
09-15-2009, 07:33 PM
From experience I'd avoid the 37 Kawy like a plague. They have some issues My Generac has been amazing. Flawless, powerful 1.5GPH.
Yes sir I heard all that...I dont sneeze at the kaws to hard but from experience they are a lil bit steep to fix sometimes, and they dont hold up to the big blocks IMO...Ive made guys like puppypaws, retrodog, and tacoma just to name a few my mentors so to speak LOL... and yes Pugs i did bring the parts issue up with the rep when I talked to him, and he mentioned thats pretty much up with the dealer proficiency, The dealers that are close by me are in NC, in the charlotte area. I ve read that the dealers down that way are pretty up to snuff with their after sales concept so thats a plus maybe... I am gonna wait til spring to make this all happen so Ive got time. I appreciate you fellas responding, your remarks are considered.. So far whitleys down in Marion are whom Im leaning towards

Razorblades
09-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Yes sir I heard all that...I dont sneeze at the kaws to hard but from experience they are a lil bit steep to fix sometimes, and they dont hold up to the big blocks IMO...Ive made guys like puppypaws, retrodog, and tacoma just to name a few my mentors so to speak LOL... and yes Pugs i did bring the parts issue up with the rep when I talked to him, and he mentioned thats pretty much up with the dealer proficiency, The dealers that are close by me are in NC, in the charlotte area. I ve read that the dealers down that way are pretty up to snuff with their after sales concept so thats a plus maybe... I am gonna wait til spring to make this all happen so Ive got time. I appreciate you fellas responding, your remarks are considered.. So far whitleys down in Marion are whom Im leaning towards

My Lastec with the 32 HP Generac has been great for 2 yrs now with 400 hrs (i know that's not many hrs) but it doesn't use oil and gets about 1.6 gph on fuel, which seems to be alot less than has been reported with the 34 and 37 HP Kawi's.

Green King
09-15-2009, 08:37 PM
I did not say the current 37hp kawasaki! I was referring to the new DFI 37hp kawasaki! DIGITAL FUEL INJECTION!!!!!

Richard Martin
09-15-2009, 08:50 PM
For the little bit you'll be using the mower (an hour every week) I wouldn't let the engine be a factor in my purchase decision. Whether it's a Kawasaki, Briggs-Dihatsu, Kohler or Generac, they'll all work fine for you for years to come.

Razorblades
09-15-2009, 08:58 PM
I did not say the current 37hp kawasaki! I was referring to the new DFI 37hp kawasaki! DIGITAL FUEL INJECTION!!!!!

If you're statement was mean't for me, I wasn't referring to your post at all. Also, I DO KNOW WHAT DFI STANDS FOR.

Green King
09-15-2009, 09:23 PM
It was not meant for you and I do agree on the generac good engine I have one and it is a fine engine! What I was trying to say is I would try and wait for the new DFI Kaw engine which should be even better on fuel than the generac!

gunner4green
09-15-2009, 09:52 PM
For the little bit you'll be using the mower (an hour every week) I wouldn't let the engine be a factor in my purchase decision. Whether it's a Kawasaki, Briggs-Dihatsu, Kohler or Generac, they'll all work fine for you for years to come.

you are absolutely correct richard. We are looking to put it to use commercially later on. So, Im just gonna get one thats ready to fly when called upon... know what I mean?? and out of curiosity...does anyone know the projected outcome on the fuel intake on the kaw 37 dfi's

HenryB
09-16-2009, 12:43 PM

My 37 Kawy blew at less than a hundred hours. That will dissappoint a pro or homeowner.

Richard Martin
09-16-2009, 04:32 PM
My 37 Kawy blew at less than a hundred hours. That will dissappoint a pro or homeowner.

Come on Henry. Just how many engines have you ever had that went significantly longer without any problems? It's also well known that if you're going to have a problem that it will probably happen when the engine is new or pretty old.

gunner4green
09-21-2009, 02:05 PM
any of you pros would like to share some experiences with parts and services with these Generac motors would be cool, or, any experiences on the DFI motor fuel consumptions, with all conditions and types of decks used, share your thoughts... be safe... :waving:

pugs
09-21-2009, 03:24 PM
The update I have from early 2009 has some info on those Kawasakis. Says reduces fuel consumption by 15-30%.

Also a neat feature is no more throttle cables. I assume they use some kind of rheostat attached to a throttle lever...which feeds the data into the ECU. So no more throttle cables to go bad. Although its more wiring to go bad...LOL

They said they currently had every engine they make operating on DFI in their labs for testing purposes and what not...Just going to see more and more of it

Robin-Subaru has a 7HP engine that is fuel injected: http://www.robinsubaru.com/series.aspx?sid=60

Razorblades
09-21-2009, 03:49 PM
I've got about 400 hrs on my 32 HP Generac engine with no issues or parts needed. Great power, starts easy, uses about 1.6 GPH in normal cutting conditions and uses no oil between changes.

I hope that Generac has deep enough pockets to be able to afford the switch to some form of fuel injection when it becomes nessacary to meet the emission stds or they will go the way of the Onan engines. (the old opposed twin, side valve configuration)

Richard Martin
09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Robin-Subaru has a 7HP engine that is fuel injected: http://www.robinsubaru.com/series.aspx?sid=60

Cool beans. It looks like a TBI low pressure system this is significantly simplier than the systems offered by Kohler and Kawasaki.

pugs
09-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Cool beans. It looks like a TBI low pressure system this is significantly simplier than the systems offered by Kohler and Kawasaki.

Yah actually the new DFI on those 37HP Kawasaki's is a lower pressure setup also. I wanna say it was just using a pulse pump or something...no electric pump on it. I dont remember for sure now. I will have to grab my 2009 update book.