PDA

View Full Version : MSN's View of us Landscapers

Szafranman
09-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Here is an article posted today on MSN which discusses what us Landscapers do. What do you think?

http://realestate.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=21618627&GT1=35000

pinecrestwoods
09-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Pretty irresponsible story. Yes, there are crooks out there. How about the good ones? Is it too much for Smartmoney to mention 1 good example?

One person talked about paying their landscaper a couple grand up front and didn't see him for A WHOLE WEEK!!!! The horror!!!!!! And what reason was given? Can you believe it was too cold and then too wet? What crap!!!!!!!!!!!! Since when have you seen it too cold or too wet to do landcaping work?!?!??! (I'm being VERY sarcastic, here, btw). Based on a $4k bill- I'm assuming this was to be some fairly extensive work, requiring the running of equipment on the property. Hmmmmmm...... what would this person say if the lawn had been torn to shreds? A whole week delay?..... Wow..... live in the real world. Try building a house.

Another crap example was "showing your landscaper nice lush grass next to recently installed plants" to prove that you watered sufficiently. Hmmmm.... the water needs of a plant with an established root system is the same as a freshly installed flower? Really?!?!? Since when? Why then, must I keep new sod soggy for a period of time or it will dry up and die, but another part of the existing lawn does not need to be soggy? WOW!!!!.... I'm SO confused.

Whatever, I gotta go steal some plants, because that's what we do.

93Chevy
09-15-2009, 03:29 PM
I don't see what the bid deal about stealing plants is. That's common practice around here.

I installed an irrigation system last week and tapped directly into the cold water line under the kitchen sink.

I also charged a customer $2 grand, payable up front, to install 6 sky rockets under a 6' pool deck, buried up to the second branch.

While the article put a negative spin on us, I think it's important that the homeowners know the dangers of hiring ignoramuses.

pinecrestwoods
09-15-2009, 04:00 PM
I installed an irrigation system last week and tapped directly into the cold water line under the kitchen sink.
While the article put a negative spin on us, I think it's important that the homeowners know the dangers of hiring ignoramuses.

Gosh.... I hope you meant you tapped into the NEIGHBOR'S water line, so your client doesn't have to pay for it.

As for the "education" aspect of it..... fine- I'll buy that. But... they shouldn't be scared to hire a landscaper, either.

hackitdown
09-15-2009, 04:08 PM
I have a local competitor who regularly bills customers for services that they didn't understand that they signed up for. Double-cut fees, waste removal fees, fuel surcharges, cleanups that they didn't order, and so on. Some have dropped him and called other LCOs. But he finds that many of the customers just pay.

If I were his customer he might get a different reaction.

93Chevy
09-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Gosh.... I hope you meant you tapped into the NEIGHBOR'S water line, so your client doesn't have to pay for it.

As for the "education" aspect of it..... fine- I'll buy that. But... they shouldn't be scared to hire a landscaper, either.

Yeah, it was the neighbor's. Sorry I left that out.

And you're right, they shouldn't be scared to hire us. Just be knowledgeable in their decision about who to hire.

Like me and not you. :p :p :p :waving: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

WGLandscapeMaintenance
09-15-2009, 06:01 PM
I like this part "To avoid such foul-ups, make sure the landscaper has liability insurance — about $1 million is a reasonable amount of coverage"
The part about the guy hiring the lawn jockey in FL to put in the irri system, they are stupid for hiring him to do it. I do like the part about the pickup lawn jockeys with magnet signs, it said painted logos, but who here has their logo painted onto their trucks? They're vinyl usually.

BrandonV
09-15-2009, 06:13 PM
lot of truth to that article but I'd blame the HO on most of those cases for trying to save a buck, there are plenty of us out there that are the "expensive/ reputable" guys that try to convince we're worth the cost but to no avail a good deal is a good deal till it goes bad.

J&R Landscaping
09-15-2009, 10:00 PM
That article seems to only allow the customer to vent for their stupid mistakes.

I'd like to know how the landscapers gained access to those 2 mentioned homes to steal the pills and drink the beer.

On the other hand, we could print that article out and show it to our potential customers when they gripe about our prices being higher than Larry's lowball landscaping.. Might give them a good reason to hire us over him.. lol

pinecrestwoods
09-15-2009, 10:41 PM
...Larry's lowball landscaping..

I like that. It's got a nice ring to it. Can you come up with one for Jeff?

sweetz
09-15-2009, 10:56 PM
That article seems to only allow the customer to vent for their stupid mistakes.

I'd like to know how the landscapers gained access to those 2 mentioned homes to steal the pills and drink the beer.

On the other hand, we could print that article out and show it to our potential customers when they gripe about our prices being higher than Larry's lowball landscaping.. Might give them a good reason to hire us over him.. lol

Kind of what I was thinking.:drinkup:

WGLandscapeMaintenance
09-15-2009, 11:04 PM

It does have a very nice ring to it. :usflag:

J&R Landscaping
09-15-2009, 11:06 PM

Haha, I can try on that but I doub't it.. With the L's like that, its easy.. :laugh:

mowerbrad
09-16-2009, 12:07 AM
So msn takes examples from people who were too stupid to hire licensed contractors to do their work. They take examples of the worst people around. They don't realize that there is "scum" in other industries as well (ie, used car sales, car repair, "accountants", plumbers, etc.).

corey4671
09-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Glad I don't work in Palo Alto CA!!

WGLandscapeMaintenance
09-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Glad I don't work in Palo Alto CA!!

Me too!! I'm glad I don't live anywhere in California, hell anywhere on the west coast.:dizzy:

FastMan
09-16-2009, 02:51 AM
Just makes the good guys stand out as even better.

BrandonV
09-16-2009, 06:39 AM
I think the article address some of the major problems with the industry most importantly we're all call "landscapers" Some of us on here simply mow grass, we're called landscapers. Others here are experts in plant id, pathology and upkeep, call again "landscapers." Yet another group too are graders, hardscape builders, lighting installers, irrigation contractors and frankly craftsmen, we too are called landscapers. The problem is our lack of terminology, somewhere along the path of history "maintenance men" or "lawn man" got merged into "landscaper" which I feel probably should be reserved for those in the construction side of things. People can't help but be confused when we all have landscaping on the side of our truck. I guess its too late not, I occasionally try to think up a new term to call my self but to no avail.

MarcSmith
09-16-2009, 07:25 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=289872

more comments here....

piste
09-16-2009, 09:03 PM
So msn takes examples from people who were too stupid to hire licensed contractors to do their work. They take examples of the worst people around. They don't realize that there is "scum" in other industries as well (ie, used car sales, car repair, "accountants", plumbers, etc.).

Well...actually they wrote it because the percentage of scum varies by industry. The higher the percentage...the harder for a customer to find a good one. Thus the article.