PDA

View Full Version : Power rake

EarthWorks
07-12-2000, 10:49 PM
Recently bought a power rake. Bought the one by land pride. The set up is very similar to the harley. I bought it as a skid steer attachment. I would highly recomend one to anyone. I bought it mainly for rennovation of existing lawns but....have found it very usefull for grading. On new installations we simply spread the dirt somewhat close then run it over with the rake. Marvelous. Looks perfect after a couple passes. It also leaves a perfect seed or sod bed, not to mention that it kicks the rock out ahead of the unit. From what I have seen I think this will be a great new toy. I get a lot of questions asking "What is that thing?" Many of my customers love to watch it work.

paul
07-14-2000, 12:49 AM
Best part is when other landscapers stop by to watch!<p>----------<br>paul<br>

Guido
07-14-2000, 01:46 PM
Yeah, they are great tools!! Your model sounds a little different then what I'm used to though. We use Bobcat/melroe OEM powerrake with our bobcats. They're great!! We usually finish grade with a D-4 dozer or a backhoe/loader, then go straight to the power rake. The difference with ours is that it catches all the rocks and debris in the bucket. It does a great job sifting and leveling and barely no raking at al by hand. Great attachment, rent one and try it out!!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

paul
07-14-2000, 09:33 PM
Guido, we use a FFC preperator for our finish work, we can grade and lay sod in just about one step. Figure a three man crew to grade and install 2000 yds(big rolls) a day. Best part is all the other landscapers that stop to watch, have had those mutli-millon company owners stop and see what we do and question how we can do it. Don't you just love it. :)<p>----------<br>paul<br>

EarthWorks
07-14-2000, 10:57 PM
I considered the preparator but didn't like its bulkiness. A lot of places we work in are tight. The unit I bought seems pretty simple. Few moving parts. It does take an extra step to scoop up the rocks though. Keep in mind I am in Arkansas and we are a little behind. I had a hard time locating sales people that even knew what I was talking about when I asked about a power rake. I do mostly residential because I am in a small town. I believe I was one of the first to start using big rolls around. I am the first and only for now to do hydro-seed on residential. Most people here just rubber neck when they see me spraying green stuff. I just love being first. On the cutting edge (around here anyway). I have also laid 2000 yards in a day. rolls are the greatest. My guys hate to lay squares anymore.

paul
07-14-2000, 11:13 PM
Earthworks, I like the Landpride power rake, it just didn't pickup the rocks, as to bulk of the FFC yes it's big you still can get it in places you can a bucket for the skid steer. Only two parts move on the Preperator the drum and the brush so it's simple as far as up keep.<p>----------<br>paul<br>

Guido
07-15-2000, 02:35 AM
Paul, is there anywhere on the net I could check out this FFC preperator?? Let me know, it sounds interesting! By the way, I put your pictures up on my site. Hear from ya soon!<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

steveair
07-15-2000, 09:09 AM
Hello,<p>Powerrakes are Great! I've used the landpride quite a few times and think its a rock solid set up.<p>By me, wish I could say the same about the 'uniqueness' of owning one though. Now a days, every other landscaper, excavator, fly-by-nighter has a power rake.<p>About 5 years ago, guys who had rakes were making a fortune. Now, because everyone has one, competition has become much more competitive. Every rental shop now just about has one to rent. Funny how 'technology' develops faster in different parts of the country.<p>steveair<br>

John DiMartino
07-15-2000, 09:28 PM
I have access to a haley rake,which goes on my 3pt hitch .It is an amazing implement,doing the work of 20 men in seconds.Steve-air is right-now everyone has the neat stuff and its driving prices down for work-its a cycle,theyll go down so much a lot of guys will get out of it and then it turns around when no one is doing it and there's lots of work.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

Scraper
07-19-2000, 09:38 AM
Hey Earthworks. Just wanted to say hello. I think we know someone in common. Does Southern Scapes ring a bell? :) Old friend of mine from up north. Been trying to get him to come here for some time now.

EarthWorks
07-19-2000, 09:13 PM
Scraper<br>I know who you're referring to. They are not on here yet I guess. Maybe just a little behind.LOL but that's alright I like them that way since they are competition.

Scraper
07-20-2000, 09:56 AM
That's funny...he said the same thing too! :) He mentioned the name of your company and I said...damn that sounds familiar! Small world it is! Nice to meet you! Someday I'll make it down that way. He says the fishing is great! Gotta catch me one of them Arkansas River Channel Cats!!!