PDA

View Full Version : Edging Flower Beds

mr.rightlandscaping
09-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi all of you out there. I just wanted some input or some advise. I do a lot of flower bed edging and lately my edging has not been looking real professional. I'm not sure what the problem is. The method I'm using is I use a water hose to outline the edge and take my half moon and go about 3 to 4 inches into the ground and then from inside the flower bed I move in 3 inches and dig at a 45 deg angle toward the outside of the bed. Am I doing something wrong? Should I start using a stick edger or rent a bed edger. I also thought about trying the Baxter perfect edge I stumbled across on the internet at http://www.baxtersperfectedge.com

pinecrestwoods
09-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Well..... what looks bad about yours. The technique sounds like you should be fine. Post a pic.

The link you provide is for another look altogether from what I could see.

terrapro
09-15-2009, 04:16 PM
:laugh: :waving:

pinecrestwoods
09-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Terrapro.... whatchoo talkin' bout?

Exmark Guy
09-15-2009, 04:50 PM
I cant really help you on the look, but i have a suggestion about using the hose thing, as it didnt work for me. What i use is a chalk box, or some thin rope and tie it tight to 2 screwdrives and push them into the ground. I think its easier and you dont need to wory about moving the hose by accident. Oh, and for trees and if you need to make a circle, place a mark on the rope for the distance of the cirle you want, tie it to the tree, and just walk around it while sprinkiling down some flour so you have a percise mark to dig aloong. when your done edging, you can hose the flour or blow it in the dirt, NOT THE NEW MULCH if you laid mulch. Help this could help you shread some time on your edging, evern if it wasent your actual question.

whoopassonthebluegrass
09-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Once I determine my lines, I drag my edger backwards through the sod to make my initial cut. Then it's time to bust out the shovel...

Runner
09-15-2009, 05:26 PM
This perfect edge system is not only totally unnecessary, but would be a complete waste of alot of valuable time, as well. The same thing can be accomplished with the half moon edgers, a flat spade, or better yet, a power edger or bed edger. The layout and design is only a small part of the edging job. The trenching is the majority of it. All this work just to lay out a line....please....
I wouldn't waste my money on this stuff even if it DID look like it had any valuable looking designs. Stick to the hose and spade method, and just practice a little bit. There is no reason why this can't be done like it always has.

mr.rightlandscaping
09-15-2009, 05:40 PM
This perfect edge system is not only totally unnecessary, but would be a complete waste of alot of valuable time, as well. The same thing can be accomplished with the half moon edgers, a flat spade, or better yet, a power edger or bed edger. The layout and design is only a small part of the edging job. The trenching is the majority of it. All this work just to lay out a line....please....
I wouldn't waste my money on this stuff even if it DID look like it had any valuable looking designs. Stick to the hose and spade method, and just practice a little bit. There is no reason why this can't be done like it always has.
Posted via Mobile Device

mr.rightlandscaping
09-15-2009, 05:43 PM
i was wondering if any of u had any pic u can post of using the methods u have described or a brief clip
Posted via Mobile Device

clean_cut
09-15-2009, 06:36 PM
I still don't understand what the hose is for, do you leave it on the ground and use it as a guide to cut along or what? I thougt you just cut at the edge of the grass.

Runner
09-16-2009, 12:16 AM
The hose trick is to lay it out to get a view at some nice round gentle curves. this way, you can adjust it and such to whatever looks good for you and use it as a guide. Old trick.

mr.rightlandscaping
09-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks Joe, that's what I was going to say. I use the house to get a visual of the design that I'm going to end up with and also as a guide. Thanks for all the replys. Does anyone have any pictures of any beds that they have done with just a half moon and spade that they can post.

gandk06
09-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Rent a bed edger. for 50 bucks it makes the job go very quickly. A shovel works well too just takes a lot longer.

White Gardens
09-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Once I determine my lines, I drag my edger backwards through the sod to make my initial cut. Then it's time to bust out the shovel...

exactly.

Using just a shovel I haven't been able to get an absolute clean line around my beds.

I outline the bed with marker paint and then use my yard-boss tiller head with one tine to cut the line. (just like an edger). I like the tiller tine as I can get a wider groove, but a stick edger is just as effective.

I'm sure TrenchBlade will chime in if he's still around.

I don't like the curve of a standard spade, so I use a strait spaid instead of pointed or curved.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3129470&postcount=98

mr.rightlandscaping
09-16-2009, 04:13 PM
thanks, that bed looks great...where can i find the boss yard tiller head to attach to my string trimmer and once you went around your bed with the tiller head, you just came to the inside of the bed a few inches and used a shovel at a angle toward the edge you cut?

Sweet Tater
09-16-2009, 08:27 PM
thanks, that bed looks great...where can i find the boss yard tiller head to attach to my string trimmer and once you went around your bed with the tiller head, you just came to the inside of the bed a few inches and used a shovel at a angle toward the edge you cut?

The Yard Boss is a complete tiller not an attachment you can use 1,2,3 or all 4 tines on the tiller

White Gardens
09-16-2009, 09:30 PM

I bought the gear head and tines off of e-bay for $150.00. Used once. Came with a short shaft for the Kombi system.

Strait blade spade. 90 degree angle. No back cut. The grass doesn't do so well if the angle is more than 90 degrees.

When done, I run my string trimmer at a 90 degree angle to clean up the lines.

White Gardens
09-16-2009, 09:36 PM
The Yard Boss is a complete tiller not an attachment you can use 1,2,3 or all 4 tines on the tiller

I've been to the dealer and they said it's the same gearbox they use on the yard boss as they use also on the Kombi system.

I have the cultivator tines on it, but when they wear out, I might switch to a tiller tine.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-17-2009, 12:33 AM
I just use my stick edger to maintain the lines. Cutting new ones, I paint them out with marking paint, use my spade and then come through and clean it up with my stick edger.

White Gardens
09-17-2009, 10:35 AM
One other thing I meant to mention is that after I spade out the edging, I put all the tiller tines or at the minimum two, and re-define the edge to clean it up.

I also use it once every spring on my other properties that already have a managed edge. Once I re-establish the edge I keep up with it with the string trimmer.

Keeps me from having to rent a bed edger.

The thing I love the most about the tiller head is that I use it to pile rocks when I go to tear out existing rock beds. I go really slow and it pops the rocks out of the muck without having to use a rake, hoe, etc...

mr.rightlandscaping
09-18-2009, 10:31 AM
Does anyone else have any pictures they can share of their edging

Sweet Tater
09-18-2009, 07:42 PM
One other thing I meant to mention is that after I spade out the edging, I put all the tiller tines or at the minimum two, and re-define the edge to clean it up.

I also use it once every spring on my other properties that already have a managed edge. Once I re-establish the edge I keep up with it with the string trimmer.

Keeps me from having to rent a bed edger.

The thing I love the most about the tiller head is that I use it to pile rocks when I go to tear out existing rock beds. I go really slow and it pops the rocks out of the muck without having to use a rake, hoe, etc...

that dont ruin the tines?

White Gardens
09-18-2009, 08:19 PM
that dont ruin the tines?

Nah, doesn't seem to make them wear any faster.

I've used the thing a lot the last couple of years and I think I'm at %50 left of wear before I need to replace them.

Occasionally you'll wedge a rock between the tines and the gear head, but it just stops the tines before you bend them.