PDA

View Full Version : Need help with coil gapping

MCSSPimpin
09-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey, I have a limited knowledge of engine repair, so any help would be appreciated.

I have removed the engine from a John Deere Z trak mower in order to clean it and replace the plug wires and coils. The engine is a Kohler ch23s 76553. I have installed the plug wires/coils, now I would like to have instructions on the coil gapping process. Currently the flywheel magnet makes contact with the metal surrounding the coil.
Also, what type of head or bit is on the screw holding the magnet to the flywheel, and does it need to be removed? I've heard that the exact location of the magnet needs to be carefully marked if removed.

Thanks

Restrorob
09-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Pull the new coil away from the flywheel and just snug the two screws.

Rotate the flywheel magnet in front of the new coil and insert any business card between the two. Loosen the two screws and let the magnet pull the coil to the flywheel, Hold a slight pressure on the coil pushing it against the flywheel and tighten the screws. Rotate the flywheel to remove the business card, Then re-install the cover and go mow.

MCSSPimpin
09-16-2009, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the info

Merkava_4
09-16-2009, 05:47 AM
Rotate the flywheel magnet in front of the new coil and insert any business card between the two.

Is that business card set at .010" ? :D

Restrorob
09-16-2009, 07:07 AM
The average business card is .010" which works just fine on all engines, It's easier to use over trying to bend a standard length feeler gage around the flywheel....

Merkava_4
09-16-2009, 07:17 AM
The average business card is .010" which works just fine on all engines, It's easier to use over trying to bend a standard length feeler gage around the flywheel....

I got one .010" feeler leaf that I leave out of the holder just for that purpose -- it's already taken on a permanent arch. :D

loafycleetus
09-16-2009, 10:26 AM
I bought a coil a while back for a lawnboy. It said on the box to open it flat and use it as the gauge. Just for grins I took a caliper to it.... .010 on the dot.

Restrorob
09-16-2009, 12:13 PM
I got one .010" feeler leaf that I leave out of the holder just for that purpose -- it's already taken on a permanent arch. :D

Well, Your average home owner/do it yourself-er doesn't own a set of feeler gages. That's why I stipulate a business card in my copy/paste how too. :D