PDA

View Full Version : Deere X300 versus Quick 36" Hydro

jweiner
09-15-2009, 06:10 PM
So I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the Quick 36" hydro, but I visited my local dealer one last time to see just how overpriced his 36" walk behinds were. I told him that I was looking to step up from my current Honda 21" mulching mower to a larger mower. I told him that I really like to mulch and even told him about the pricing on the Quick units. He wanted to make sure I knew all my options and he showed me the Deere X300 tractor, 42" cut, Kaw engine. He said that I should consider the standard side discharge deck and then add the mulching kit. The price is about $3000 which is about what I'd pay to get a Quick 36" hydro delivered. So . . . . what do people think about these two options? I have about 3/4 of an acre - rather flat, but I do have a partial rear exposure which means that both sides of my lot slope down about 4-5 feet over about a 30 foot distance. Thanks in advance. Joel

sunstateturk
09-15-2009, 06:28 PM
I cut a ten acre job at 4.5" every two weeks down here in florida. it is bahia grass and it takes me about 2 hours. cuts like a beauty every time. not sure if i'd do commercial work but definitely a nice mower for residential. saves the lower back, too.

jweiner
09-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Which mower are you referring to, the Quick or the Deere?

THC
09-15-2009, 07:14 PM
He's talking 10 acres in two hours that is definitely not the Quick he's talking about. You'd be lucky to get 2 acres done with a 36"wb in 2 hours.

sunstateturk
09-15-2009, 07:20 PM
sorry... i use a 48" john deere homeowner tractor that belongs to a customer... he's got a 25 degree pitch septic hill which i can mow most of without scalping. gotta use your discretion... weed eat the stuff you can't...

Richard Martin
09-15-2009, 07:39 PM
I'd take the Quick. Something about using low end residential mowers to cut grass for a living just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not a big fan of the Quick but it has advantages over the Deere. I believe it has a better, heavier duty deck. The warranty on the Quick doesn't run out after 300 hours. What kind of engine is on the Deere? The website doesn't say. It just says "17-hp V-twin, air-cooled John Deere iTorque™ Power System". What does that mean? The Quicks come with both Briggs (ugh) and Kawasaki. I would NOT want to have to change a drive belt on that Deere. The belts and most other parts are relatively easy to service on the Quick.

You do get pretty Green and Yellow paint on the Deere though.

sunstateturk
09-15-2009, 08:10 PM
yah right at 60 hrs the owner of the mower got an oil change and blades sharpened... he didn't tell me what it cost but it was a pretty penny. you'd need ramps, etc... to work on it and it looks like a pain. motor access is easy from top end, that's about it...

THC
09-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Before I was in the mowing business I mowed a large yard for my window cleaning customer because they went to germany on vacation. He's very rich but likes to think he's thrifty so instead of paying someone to mow he bought a $5000 John Deere tractor mower and this was like 5 years ago. So I used his mower and it was a piece of crap. I couldn't even get the damn thing started for half an hour.

That being said, I didn't know anything about mowing back then and around here I see john deere tractors all day long. And in three years I've only seen one other guy with a toro 36 wb. It's all 21's, john deere tractors, some z's and some walkers.

jweiner
09-15-2009, 09:41 PM
What kind of engine is on the Deere? The website doesn't say. It just says "17-hp V-twin, air-cooled John Deere iTorque™ Power System". What does that mean? The Quicks come with both Briggs (ugh) and Kawasaki.

The Deere that I am looking with - the X300 - comes with a Kawasaki engine and has a 4 year warranty.

doubleedge
09-15-2009, 10:54 PM
I have an x304 that I have retired to mowing my lawn; it has been a good mower. I also have a quick 36" dually, and I would much rather use my x304 for larger areas.

jweiner
09-15-2009, 11:09 PM
doubleedge - so all things being equal (I have about a 3/4 acre lawn), which is a better unit? Will one do a better job mulching than the other? They both sell for about the same price. I am a little nervous about the lack of local support for the Quick units. I don't have a preference between riding or pushing and am just interested in the best machine. Thanks in advance.

Richard Martin
09-16-2009, 05:21 AM
The Deere that I am looking with - the X300 - comes with a Kawasaki engine and has a 4 year warranty.

I got my info from the Deere website.

That warranty is 4 years or 300 hours. Whichever occurs first. It's your money, not mine.

jweiner
09-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Yes, but the mower will be for personal use only, so 300 hours would probably be about 3-4 years. I am still wondering which mower (the JD X300 or the Quick 36" WB) is a better unit for about a one acre lot. I prefer to mulch and have only a couple slight slopes on both sides of my property as I have a partial rear exposure and therefore the ground slopes down about 4-5' over about a 30' distance on both sides of my property. Any opinions would still be greatly appreciated.