PDA

View Full Version : anybody have a john deere gs30 mower?

sunstateturk
09-15-2009, 06:26 PM
i'm looking at a 36", 2002 john deere gs30 mower with very few hours on it...

anybody own one? any opinions, problems or concerns?

thanks,
turk
longwood, fl

whole9er
09-15-2009, 08:15 PM
I just bought one about a month ago, I found out mines a 99. Its leaves a great cut and im having fun figuring the thing out. I really like the drive system, its little tricks like if you hold the brake half way it sets the machine it neutral and you can pull back so you can make perfect stripes with a belt drive, and its light enough so you can pull it back and muscle it around just about anywhere. The thing has tons of power, it being a 36 I dont really see a need for a sulky because Im using it in tighter spots, I use it anywhere I cant fit my Z. Its my first walk behind so im not speaking from much experience, I have been running a my 737 for the last 4 years, so it was a change for me. I bought it to supplement using a 21 so far it has really helped me save time and be more productive.

sunstateturk
09-15-2009, 08:31 PM
thanks for the review man. yah my buddy's dad's been running kohler 13 motors in his toros and never complained about power. i too have to get through gates on 25% of my yards so it'll be a nice step up from my 21.

i found this 2002 for $950 obo. i'll be eyeballing it really close as money is non-existent! lol :)

whole9er
09-16-2009, 12:08 AM
I got mine for 800 bucks but I bought all new belts, filters, plug, grips, blades, the works. I wanted the thing running in perfect working order to start with, It was running and working fine when I got it but now I just am going to use the old stuff as backups. You'll be suprised how much time it saves you, It cuts 10 push mower stripes into 3 or 4, so much quicker. Second gear is just about as fast as my 21, third is a pretty fast walk but you can do it on a more open lawn.

heybruck34
09-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I had one with a blown engine. Bought it cheap, fixed it up and sold it all in 2003 or 2004. I put a Kohler 15 on it because it was much cheaper than the 13 OEM. I was happy with it but it was only a 36" and I already had a Scag 48". I used the Deere intermittently for about 6 months. The guy I sold it to still uses it and loves it.

It cut really good but JD is not the brand for me. I don't like the fact that you have to buy OEM parts- plus the parts guy at the local dealer was a moron. Seriously, I would have to show him how to use his parts computer by leaning over the counter and telling him what to click. It got to be a pain.

MarkC
01-24-2010, 06:41 PM
What did the kohler 15 cost you and did you have to do any mods?

stroker51
01-24-2010, 09:30 PM
I've got one and for the money they are hard to beat. I wound up giving like $600 for mine I think, had another co. that owed me money, and i was like hey i'll knock $600 off your bill if you just give me the mower lol. It hasn't been bad, cuts nice but I have a toro T-bar hydro 44 now and me and the workers can't stand the pistol grips after using the t bar.

tylerharley
08-15-2011, 06:31 PM
I have a gs30 and it has been the worst mower i have bought. Purchased a couple of years ago with 2 hours on it. We still use it but the quality of cut is not as good as our others and it is useless mulching leaves. Worst of all if the grass is damp the drive belts slip really bad. It works and we use it but I would not buy another one.

johnhlt63
08-16-2013, 01:09 AM
Did you wind up getting the GS 30? I just got one this year, totally new to "commercial walk behind". I've been using riders, bought a yard that is sloped & everybody told me I need a walk behind. Trying to figure out how not to tear up the yard where it is sloped. Anyhow, my GS 30 is Kohler 13HP, the thing looked like brand new. I don't yet know how to learn the age from the serial numbers, etc. Anybody know, let me know.