PDA

View Full Version : And you thought you had bad luck...

yardatwork
09-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Geesh...can these past few weeks get worse...well with my luck...probably! So many of you know that a few weeks back I almost cut off three fingers after shoving my hand under the mower deck while the blades were still spinning...ALL MY FAULT, but the fingers have healed nicely.

Two weeks ago my John Deere M655 blew a hose and all the hydro fluid dropped into a high end clients yard...burnt up his grass and the tractor repair cost me around $100.00 for a blown hose, fluid, and labor. That was on a Wednesday. Then on Saturday, the Deere started "growling" because...the hydro pump went cause the lack of fluid for those few seconds ruined it. So, back to the mechanic (9/11), $712.00 later and a new pump the Deere is fixed. Go to drive the Deere off the trailer and it won't start. When I turn the key over, smoke starts pouring out from under the seat/ignition/throttle area...almost sure it's the ignition switch. At this point the Deere can sit for a few weeks before that repair.

One of my Toro Z400s has been leaking hydro oil all year. I finally have the time to get it fixed after pinpointing that the drive motor needs replaced. So last Friday they put in a new motor and I picked it up on Saturday (9/12)...that ran me $585.00. Only to find out that the other side is starting to leak...not bad, but none the less.

Well...my OTHER Toro Z400 was backed off the trailer last Thursday and low and behold...hydro oil on the trailer. Checked the hydro fluid and it was down a half quart. Can you see where this is going??!!! Already spent $1300.00 to fix one Toro and the Deere. The one Toro still needs fixed and now this Toro is going to need fixed...AHHHHH!

With all that being said, what else can go wrong? How about the Husqvarna trimmer starting to lose power yesterday. I feel the motor area and it's burning hot. I decide to put the trimmer in the bed of the truck and grab the other Husq trimmer to finish the job. When I put the one giving me trouble in the bed, like a sign from above, it flipped upside down showing an interesting sight...oil and lube mixed with what looked like metal shaving around the gearbox area.

Geesh...I almost forgot about the "commercial" Craftsman trimmer breaking down last Tuesday. It was a quick purchase to complete a days worth of work while another trimmer was being fixed last year...I didn't have any big dreams for this thing and it showed it's true "commercial" ability...one year of use. This trimmer is identical in design to the Husqvarna 125L. Probably made in the same factory, but just different body casing. However, this trimmer has a lot of low grade, plastic internal parts

If you had trouble following all that, I apologize. All I know is that I'm writing checks like crazy for repairs and I'm getting pissed!!! And to make things worse...today Quarter 3 taxes were due. Thousands of dollars all gone in a few days!

But guess what...I'M SELF EMPLOYEED AND LOVE IT!!!

Pietro
09-15-2009, 09:18 PM
My Z was leaking a LITTLE bit of hydro oil around the fittings, where the hose is clamped onto the metal fitting. Being under warrenty I took it to the dealer 4 times for this problem. The dealer even said, they all leak SLIGHTLY. There is so much pressure in those hoses. I dont care what anyone says about their Z not leaking hydro oil. Look at the hoses, I bet ya theyre dirty by the connections.

lawnfreak09
09-15-2009, 09:21 PM
how old are the toro z400s? have you like them so far? i am in the market for a new ztr and am going to demo on friday just looking for any imput. thanks. btw sounds like you have had a week like mine. Although i would say yours was a bit worse. thanks

greengiant9963
09-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Sometimes when it rains it pours. Sorry about your luck.

STIHL GUY
09-15-2009, 10:53 PM
damn. sorrry about your bad luck. hope things turn around

cam185
09-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Man! sorry to hear all the bad news... hope everything goes better. I thought my luck was bad when two nights ago a deer ran out in front of my truck while pullin the trailer so i couldnt avoid it, totaled my passenger door. Then yesterday went to open to the tool box on the truck to get my oil out and the lock cylinder had broke and i couldnt get into my box. Things now seem not so bad after reading your post....

fastcat
09-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Sounds like you should sell some equipment and buy some new stuff
Posted via Mobile Device

LushGreenLawn
09-16-2009, 12:15 AM
I would consider diving in and trying to fix some of that stuff yourself. A hydro system is basically a pump, two hoses, and a motor. Sometimes a pump, 4 hoses, and two motors.

If a pump or hydro motor goes, you just replace it. Bolt off, bolt on, connect hoses.

A leak is usually in a line somewhere or a connection point. replace the line or the connection, slightly more complicated than working on a garden hose.

It will save you alot of money over paying a dealer for repairs, especially once you start finding sources for aftermarket hydro motors and pumps.

lifetree
09-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Sounds like you should sell some equipment and buy some new stuff
Posted via Mobile Device

My thought exactly !!

P.Services
09-16-2009, 12:46 AM
so whats the problem? sounds like the average day.

brucec32
09-16-2009, 01:45 PM
My Z was leaking a LITTLE bit of hydro oil around the fittings, where the hose is clamped onto the metal fitting. Being under warrenty I took it to the dealer 4 times for this problem. The dealer even said, they all leak SLIGHTLY. There is so much pressure in those hoses. I dont care what anyone says about their Z not leaking hydro oil. Look at the hoses, I bet ya theyre dirty by the connections.

I dunno about that. 10 combined years of use on 2 Exmark Lazer hp's , the direct equivilent of the Toro z400, and I've never had to add an ounce of oil to the hydro resevoirs and never noticed any leaks. And so far a Gravely 144z is leak free.

Maybe high speed running does it? I mostly do lawns where you can't get up to max speed very often.

yardatwork
09-16-2009, 05:26 PM
I would consider diving in and trying to fix some of that stuff yourself. A hydro system is basically a pump, two hoses, and a motor. Sometimes a pump, 4 hoses, and two motors.

If a pump or hydro motor goes, you just replace it. Bolt off, bolt on, connect hoses.

A leak is usually in a line somewhere or a connection point. replace the line or the connection, slightly more complicated than working on a garden hose.

It will save you alot of money over paying a dealer for repairs, especially once you start finding sources for aftermarket hydro motors and pumps.

The fixing wasn't the problem. Two hours to replace the pump and an hour for the drive motor. The labor charges weren't bad. The pump was about $600 and the drive motor is around $500. That's where they get you...parts!

So I had to ask...can it get worse. Well maybe not worse, but it's still pouring on me! Today the throttle cable broke on the one Z400. When I dropped it off at the mechanics I had them also look at the Husqvarna weed wacker that was losing power...yep...the motor is blown. So I had to purchase a new weed wacker...another $300.

LushGreenLawn
09-16-2009, 06:00 PM
I dunno about that. 10 combined years of use on 2 Exmark Lazer hp's , the direct equivilent of the Toro z400, and I've never had to add an ounce of oil to the hydro resevoirs and never noticed any leaks. And so far a Gravely 144z is leak free.

Maybe high speed running does it? I mostly do lawns where you can't get up to max speed very often.

Not to mention a leak under pressure can spray out with enough force to penetrate skin. Does toro/exmark know about this potential fatal flaw in their hyro system design?

BTW, my mower is a deere with almost 800 hours on it, and my connections are clean clean.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardatwork
09-16-2009, 06:26 PM
My JD M655 has 2000 hours so having the line blow wasn't a big deal...the pump failing was due to the lack of hydro oil after the line blew. If we caught the line early enough I could have released the pressure and pushed the tractor instead of not noticing and driving until the tank/hydro fluid was empty. The tractor is around 10 years old.

The Toros both have 1000 hours and are 5 years old. Something has been going wrong almost every 200 hours on both machines. If something goes on one...yep...it's going to go on the other. I think Toro built some lemons and I was the recipient of two of those lemons!!!