PDA

View Full Version : Full time SOLO guys

grass pro llc
09-15-2009, 11:00 PM
For those who do lawn care full time and are a solo operation, how many accounts do you have and what do you roughly make annually doing it.

sweetz
09-16-2009, 12:03 AM
I have about 10,000 accounts, but I only make about .50 per day. Can't figure out why I don't make more, I work about 22 hours per day.:hammerhead:

1 person might have 1 account that takes him the whole week and another might have 100 postage stamp size yards.

sweetz
09-16-2009, 12:32 AM
What I am trying to say is that you won't get any serious answers that will mean anything to you or anybody else for that matter. Just like accounts will vary with size and your location in the US/world, Your gross income could be 3 million and you could be making less (after expenses) than someone grossing 75k per year.

Mowbizz
09-16-2009, 12:35 AM
For those who do lawn care full time and are a solo operation, how many accounts do you have and what do you roughly make annually doing it.

Hmmm...another potential solo operator that wants to "jump in" to the mowing arena?? What makes you think anyone in their right mind wants to share personal info with a total stranger on the internet?? Some things you just have to find out for yourself...:hammerhead:

THC
09-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Hmmm...another potential solo operator that wants to "jump in" to the mowing arena?? What makes you think anyone in their right mind wants to share personal info with a total stranger on the internet?? Some things you just have to find out for yourself...:hammerhead:

That's the whole point of the internet and this forum:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead ::hammerhead::hammerhead:

That being said, I'm not telling him either:laugh:

WGLandscapeMaintenance
09-16-2009, 12:55 AM
Well, I'm solo, got about 300 accounts, gross about $650,000 a week, every week, 6 months outta the year. Put together those numbers, that's what I make.

Here's a pic of my Rarri when I was at Mizner Park in Boca last week.
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq157/dowork614/ferrari-4.jpg

slamjamrockinman
09-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Wow, another one of these threads. Just a tip for you, VERY few if any people on here will tell you what they honestly make. Secondly, the number of accounts that someone does is almost irrelevant (size of accts differs). Just some advice if you hadn't figured out that not many will give you a serious answer.

tacoma200
09-16-2009, 01:56 AM
If you are going solo you need to think big as in being productive. You need the most efficient equipment you can get for the type lawns you plan to service because time is money and with out a helper you need to make up for that lost time. You need to plan routes carefully, be innovative and find ways to get the job done as quickly as possible while keeping quality high. I have to hire some help, it has rained all year so learning to delegate responsibility has not been fun (but a learning experience).

corey4671
09-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Like has been said, account size greatly varies. I did ONE acount today. BIG account. BY contrast, I did 10 yesterday and tomorrow I'll do 7 while Thursday I have 10 and five Friday. They can range anywhere from 7k sq ft up to 4 acres. I've always felt like if I were exclusively in an area where I had nothing but 10K sq and smaller lots I could easily knock out 10-12 of them a day getting anywhere from $30-$40 each so say average of 11 @ $35 you have roughly $385/day 5 days $1925/wk x 32 weeks and you're looking at $60k GROSS. Granted with small lots like that you won't need a BIG ZTR so your cost there is down. With a good tight route your fuel stays low. A good 1/2 ton truck with either a WB or stander will get the job done. Guesstimate roughly $25/day in fuel for mower and $30/day for truck now your looking at around $10k a year in fuel. Figure in taxes, license and ins. This is purely an EXAMPLE of a perfect world but it gives you something to chew on.

willretire@40
09-16-2009, 08:26 AM
If you are solo I would say keep your prices high and only have a stander and a 21" and a cheap truck. $40 x 12 a day times 5 days= $2,400 x 28 weeks for your area= $67,000. In the spring and fall on saturdays do 10 aerations 16 weeks out of the year $75x160= $12,000. You will make $75k a year with very low overhead.

delphied
09-16-2009, 08:49 AM
If you are solo I would say keep your prices high and only have a stander and a 21" and a cheap truck. $40 x 12 a day times 5 days= $2,400 x 28 weeks for your area= $67,000. In the spring and fall on saturdays do 10 aerations 16 weeks out of the year $75x160= $12,000. You will make $75k a year with very low overhead.

Dreaming big sells lawn mowers.

MikeKle
09-16-2009, 10:48 AM
I am a solo operator most of the time, I do have someone that works with me when I get really swamped though. You have to also figure in times like this when it is very dry and most people dont need it cut more than bi-weekly! I have been doing this full time for around 4 years and it has been good, but i get alot of referral clients, you may not get that many? Like the above posters talked about the differences in yard size and number of accts, and overhead. there is just too many variables in this industry, my cheapest yard is $25. but the priciest is $75. Most are $35-40. Being solo I try to stick with average size subdivision yards so when you get rain days and get behind, it will be easy to get caught up. I got rid of all my huge yards because of this. Good luck

willretire@40
09-16-2009, 11:16 AM
The way I said is for a hard worker and not for someone taking the easy way out. also you will not do that amount the first year but maybe by your 3rd year.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Well, I'm solo, got about 300 accounts, gross about $650,000 a week, every week, 6 months outta the year. Put together those numbers, that's what I make.

Here's a pic of my Rarri when I was at Mizner Park in Boca last week.
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq157/dowork614/ferrari-4.jpg

Thanks for the morning chuckle....I can sign off now:laugh:

WGLandscapeMaintenance
09-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the morning chuckle....I can sign off now:laugh:

You're welcome, I always enjoy enlightening someone's day haha.

HighGrass
09-16-2009, 04:36 PM
I have 50 accounts and at the rate I'm going, I should have 8-10 more net year. If I do top out at 60, it would put me right where I need to be.
I generally quote a price that allows me to make about $60-$70/hr while I'm mowing with no more than 10 minutes down time/transient time between lawns. I usually work real hard at the first few days of the week and coast a bit come Friday. If it rains at all during the week, I mow until I'm done.
In my area, I'm sorry to say that the area is getting flooded with wanna be weekend warriors. The problem always seems to be the same. Some guy goes out and buys a boat load of equipment and either doesn't have any business sense and/or has absolutely no people/communications skills. That's just about the time I get a call and step in.
I've gotten customers from several fallout's with "newbies, weekend warriors" whatever. If you can make someones lawn look good, that's only 25% of the game.

Mowbizz
09-16-2009, 05:01 PM
That's the whole point of the internet and this forum:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead ::hammerhead::hammerhead:

That being said, I'm not telling him either:laugh:

**:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: