PDA

View Full Version : Can you move the rear tires outward (spacers)?

tacoma200
09-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I would like to move the rear tires on my Turf Tiger out by about 1/4" to 3/8" to give it a wider stance. Is there a correct way to do this? Do they make spacers to put between the wheel and hub? It's no big deal but I would like the extra clearance.

Why? Because I cut such steep area's that the tire can flex and rub the parking brake bolt after a long period of time. I could put more air in the tires but that would reduce traction.

shovelracer
09-15-2009, 10:19 PM
The answer is yes there are spacers available, but perhaps it would be better to find a different set of wheels with a smaller backspacing.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/WHEEL_SPACERS?ID=12;0;0;0;100001;ProductName;0;0;0;0;2003969;0

zman2307
09-15-2009, 11:41 PM
yeah just get some 12" by, say, 10" ATV wheels. I think that 4 lug pattern is pretty universal. People put those wheels on golf cars. There was a dealer not too long ago that did that to some Toros. They were were offset out quite a bit and looked tight. Easy to clean. You have more leeway for offset on the trim side than the discharge side, but shouldn't have a problem.

Get the widest wheel you can for that 12" tire to get the most width out of those tires.

MikeKle
09-16-2009, 10:00 AM
If it is a hydro wheel motor type set-up which I think it is, you can move the wheels out as much as you want. If you can fabricate and weld fairly well, this would be an easy project. I thought about doing this on my turf tracer HP. I will post pics if I try it this season.

milo
09-16-2009, 01:07 PM
maybe a real easy way,, measure where your wheel mount holes are to the outer rim and then check other side sometimes just turning them around you can make wider because some have off set wheels :dancing:

sjessen
09-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I would like to move the rear tires on my Turf Tiger out by about 1/4" to 3/8" to give it a wider stance. Is there a correct way to do this? Do they make spacers to put between the wheel and hub? It's no big deal but I would like the extra clearance.

Why? Because I cut such steep area's that the tire can flex and rub the parking brake bolt after a long period of time. I could put more air in the tires but that would reduce traction.

You might go to a welding/fabrication shop and have them cut a couple of pieces of steel in the desired thickness with holes drilled to match the bolt pattern on your wheel motors and slide them over the bolts. I did this on a Toro I had and it worked fine.

GravelyNut
09-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Different makes of mowers have different offsets on the tires. Unfortunately, the Tigers rims are already offset about as far as any go. Longer studs and a half inch plate of steel will do what you want.