PDA

View Full Version : Tire Shortage

HydroGearHead
09-16-2009, 12:58 AM
I was at my dealer on Monday and the owner told me Carisle tires factory burned down and this has caused a shortage of tires in the lawn mower industry. Anyone else hear this? I noticed his tires shelves were basically empty and this is a dealer that seriously had TONS f tires in stock all sizes all of time.

MS_SURVEYOR
09-16-2009, 01:09 AM
Yea! I had to loan a mower to my neighbor because he blew a tire on his JD L165. He couldn't get a tire because a Carlisle tires factory burned down in Bowden, Georgia. Took him like 2 months to a new tire.

http://www.firegeezer.com/2008/11/18/atf-called-in-to-georgia-tire-plant-fire/

HydroGearHead
09-16-2009, 01:16 AM
I heard they are getting tires from China now. My dealer seriously always has TONS in stock but his shelves are bare and he said he's had tires on order over 2 months. He had only 2 24X12X12 tires left so I bought both just to have as spares!

Smithco Lawncare
09-16-2009, 02:07 AM
What are we going to do??? No more carlisle?????

dgfitz
09-16-2009, 02:49 AM
What are we going to do??? No more carlisle?????

A blight has infested the rubber tree plantations in Asia, crimping the
world market, and Carlisle got a double whammy by having one its
largest manufacturing facilities burn down.

topsites
09-16-2009, 03:23 AM
Somehow this is just sounding all too familiar...

If I had to guess, this means they're raising the price, but what do I know?

Richard Martin
09-16-2009, 05:48 AM
If you want Chinese tires you'd better get them now. Obama's talking about slapping a 40% tariff on them.

I get a lot of my tires here -->> www.cedarrapidstire.com

Nosmo
09-16-2009, 05:54 AM
That fire happened last November - 2008. Looks like Carlisle would step up production in their other plants.

If there is truly a shortage looks like the competition would begin supplying the demand for replacement mower tires. I haven't been out window shopping for new mowers but since reading this thread I wonder which brand of tires is on most of the new mowers ?

Nosmo

ed2hess
09-16-2009, 07:12 PM
If you want Chinese tires you'd better get them now. Obama's talking about slapping a 40% tariff on them.

I get a lot of my tires here -->> www.cedarrapidstire.com
That is just exactly what I was thinking.....used to see a lot of China tires on mowers but Carlisle seemed to get the majority across the last few years. Our prez really is helping the middle class..

Littleriver1
09-16-2009, 09:00 PM
That is just exactly what I was thinking.....used to see a lot of China tires on mowers but Carlisle seemed to get the majority across the last few years. Our prez really is helping the middle class..

Ya think? Looks like the only one he's helping is himself, to our money.

Frontier-Lawn
09-16-2009, 09:35 PM
my brother may be able to get in mower tires quicker through hos rim and tire shop then what some dealers can get them.

johndeereguy
09-16-2009, 10:36 PM
cedar rapids tire is the best place for tires for us guys, and I can say that I had a 24-12-12 tire come in today that was ordered over a month ago, usually its next day

whole9er
09-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Wow, I just got a turf master no problem 100 bucks down from 130 from my dealer, he doesn't stock many tires but he had it there in 3 days. I had no clue.

STIHL GUY
09-17-2009, 12:25 AM
hopefully i wont need new tires utill this mess is sorted out

ALC-GregH
09-17-2009, 08:50 AM
BOP uses Kenda tires! hummmm

Roger
09-17-2009, 06:49 PM

I think the tense of the statement is wrong -- already happened last week. I did think it was 35%, not 40%, but the tariff has already been imposed. This immediately led China to retaliate by imposing new tariffs on US made goods. Auto parts and chickens were the two that I remember.

Protectionism could become a sticky-wicket quickly.

Richard Martin
09-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Sometimes it takes time for details to come out. The tariff is apparently only on automobile and light truck tires. There is no mention of turf tires being included. Read all about it here:

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2009/09/obama-risks-global-trade-war-with.html

Scagguy
09-17-2009, 08:19 PM
I just replaced 2 sets of Carlisle tires on my Z's last week. Got them at Discount Tire Co.

pugs
09-17-2009, 09:57 PM
As far as I know the shortage was more in the spring time. Also if your dealer is using a tire supplier tell them to check with stens or Oregon. They seem to be better supplied than the tire distributors were during the shortage.

Also, watch out switching brands of tires. I know from experience that not all 20x10-8 tires are created equal. Had a customer buy a different brand and bring it to our shop to be put on. We put it on, he took it back and put it on his Wright Stander...and that tire was like 1.5 inches shorter than the Carlisle on the other side.

Tires&wheels
10-29-2009, 02:26 PM
The Carlisle plant that burned down was a semi-pneumatic facility and didn't produce pneumatic tire such as the Turf Master and MTCS. They’re plenty available.

grassman177
10-29-2009, 04:29 PM
either way to this story, we should be good for a while. we have at least one to three sets of spare tires for all machines we own. all the tires we are using on the machines are all pretty good too.