PDA

View Full Version : Standard Wright pics (not much of a review)

tacoma200
09-16-2009, 01:01 AM
I've put a few hours on this demo Wright for the last two weeks. Nice little unit, very simple and basic. I have a few pics of it cutting some crabgrass which I was surprised it didn't miss any or leave a big mess. It will really climb a hill but side to side/along the slope it doesn't have as much traction as my Turf Tiger. That was basically my main reason for testing it. It's kind of hard not to like this unit though. It has a very small footprint, it's light, probably could tow it with a golf cart, cuts pretty well dry, didn't get a chance to test it wet, and it can work well in some tight spots. This is not a comparison against the Toro Grandstand, you would need to use a Wright ZK for that. Just thought I would share a few pics. Nothing special. They have been working on the lawn on the pic with my helper going up a hill, that is not scalping. He was just testing it on the hill. Second and third pic is pure crabgrass, it was sew with fescue seed during a drought and never came up.

Smithco Lawncare
09-16-2009, 01:14 AM
cool pics....Im glad you like it

02DURAMAX
09-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Good thing you demoed a stander!

there Great mowers!

FastMan
09-16-2009, 03:48 AM
How's that learning curve coming? Did you get the hang of it? So far, I've only tried the ZK in the parking lot, but it felt pretty natural. Looking forward to giving it a go on real lawns the next couple days.

tacoma200
09-16-2009, 03:53 AM
How's that learning curve coming? Did you get the hang of it? So far, I've only tried the ZK in the parking lot, but it felt pretty natural. Looking forward to giving it a go on real lawns the next couple days.

Pretty good on the flat ground, but if it get to sliding on a hill I forget what to do. They are not as hill stable as the ZK's. It would probably help if I weighed more. That junk grass is a real test compared to pure fescue. Most mowers have a lot of trouble here late Summer when the crabgrass is at it's peak. There are very few stands of pure turf here.

FastMan
09-16-2009, 04:08 AM
There are very few stands of pure turf here.

Yeah, here either. I end up cutting lots of pretty spindley wild flower type stuff that can be really tough to cut. It's actually a bigger challenge here than the thick and wet I had to deal with in Buffalo. Very dry air climate up here in the mountains. No dew in the morning, rain usually blasts through quickly in the afternoon, then things dry out fast. Never see mud. Actually finding it a pretty pleasant environment to mow in, compared to the East.

delphied
09-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Pretty good on the flat ground, but if it get to sliding on a hill I forget what to do. They are not as hill stable as the ZK's. It would probably help if I weighed more. That junk grass is a real test compared to pure fescue. Most mowers have a lot of trouble here late Summer when the crabgrass is at it's peak. There are very few stands of pure turf here.

After using my Grandstand for over 50 hours now, driving on the hills is second nature. it wasnt at first. Im not trying to pitch for Toro but you should try a Grandstand. I know that traction is far better than my Exmark 66. I have demoed the Wrights as well.

tacoma200
09-16-2009, 03:48 PM
After using my Grandstand for over 50 hours now, driving on the hills is second nature. it wasnt at first. Im not trying to pitch for Toro but you should try a Grandstand. I know that traction is far better than my Exmark 66. I have demoed the Wrights as well.

Yes the Grandstand and Wright ZK are supposed to be much better across a slope. I may get to demo both. We actually don't have a Toro dealer close that carries commercial equipment (and Wright is 90 miles away). So both brands are problematic as far as service goes. The only reason I have a Wright to demo is they have a distributor trying to get some dealerships in the area and I had written Wright an email about the ZK. Not sure why my local Toro dealer doesn't carry commercial, he could order one I guess. Yes I would definitively demo a Grandstand.

lilweeds
09-17-2009, 10:58 AM
The ZK and GS are not the comparison. The ZK is supposed to compete with Z mowers. They have larger motor, pumps, ect. The GS is supposed to compete with the standard stander/rapid height.

JayD
12-17-2009, 07:49 PM
I've put a few hours on this demo Wright for the last two weeks. Nice little unit, very simple and basic. I have a few pics of it cutting some crabgrass which I was surprised it didn't miss any or leave a big mess. It will really climb a hill but side to side/along the slope it doesn't have as much traction as my Turf Tiger. That was basically my main reason for testing it. It's kind of hard not to like this unit though. It has a very small footprint, it's light, probably could tow it with a golf cart, cuts pretty well dry, didn't get a chance to test it wet, and it can work well in some tight spots. This is not a comparison against the Toro Grandstand, you would need to use a Wright ZK for that. Just thought I would share a few pics. Nothing special. They have been working on the lawn on the pic with my helper going up a hill, that is not scalping. He was just testing it on the hill. Second and third pic is pure crabgrass, it was sew with fescue seed during a drought and never came up.

Wow, they really do work on hills

Pat'sPerfectLawnService
12-17-2009, 08:23 PM
looks like it cuts pretty good and handles the hills good as well