PDA

View Full Version : Toro

ctclawncare
09-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Is a Toro 400 series mower good 52"? Is the 21 hp. Motor enough.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

ctclawncare
09-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Anybody that can help me on this please do I am thinking of buying 1?
Posted via Mobile Device

Joeypole
09-16-2009, 03:21 PM
What deck? Year? Hours?

I have an 05 Z453 with a 52 inch Turbo Force Deck and 23 hp Kawasaki and love it. I cut a lot of crab grass and weeds and it does a great job for what I'm cutting.

I bought mine with 500 hours.

yardatwork
09-16-2009, 05:35 PM
I have two Z400s with the Turbo Force deck and the 23 hp Kawasaki. I also have striping kits and baggers on both. I hate Kawasaki motors. I have three Zs with Kawasaki motors and every Z has/had motor issues. I have another Z with a Kohler Command and that thing has 2000 hours on it...Kohler wins my vote. As for the Toro Z400...I love the design, easy access to everything, the cut is nice, the ride is nice. However, I may have just bought some lemons. I haven't had much luck with my Toros. Always breaking down. From a simple cable breaking to drive motor problems to bearings in the bagger blower needing repaired twice on the same machine to having the whole blower rebuilt to the head rebuilt on one of the motors at 400 hours...the list goes on.

ctclawncare
09-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Well dang, geuss its just bad luck. Haven't really had a problem with kawasaki. But irun exmark TT so its hard to choose.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
09-16-2009, 05:47 PM
As I found out from toro's website, the mower your looking at should have the kawi engine, and the 7 gauge deck. I have experience with the turbo force deck and can tell you that they cut great. But since yours would come with the 7-gauge, it wouldn't be the same. But I can tell you that the 7-gauge deck is basically a "scaled down" version of the turbo force, so it still is a pretty good deck just without the bull nose front edge, adjustable baffle, etc. My dealer tells me that most people buy the kawi engines on the mowers (at least from my dealer), if that tells you anything. That engine should be able to handle the deck, but if you put the spindle driven collection system on it, then you may like a bigger engine for some of the clean-ups or spring growth. So if you can afford to upgrade to a Z450 with the 23 kawi and turbo force deck, you should be really happy.

CHRIS MELROSE
09-16-2009, 05:50 PM
They use to make this same machine with the old SFS deck with only a 19hp Kaw. You could obviously bog the motor in real heavy grass but for the most part it worked great. The 21hp they have now on their standard 7-gauge deck has plenty of power.