PDA

View Full Version : My new ride!!-Scag diesel STT31BSD

johnnybravo8802
09-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey guys, I just wanted to show off my new ride-well, new to me. I hadn't planned to buy anything at the end of the season but I couldn't pass this up. I had pretty much decided on a Hustler SuperZ with a 72" rear discharge but I heard a ton of negative comments on the rear discharge. Honestly, I wanted to stay with Scag-I have two great dealers 30 minutes from me and I like having the same brand and same parts. Anyway, my idea machine has always been a Scag 72" with a diesel but I didn't want to drop $16,000 on a new one. I also didn't want to have to take a CAT to a CAT dealer and have them be reluctant to work on it and have to wait forever to get it back. The guy who had this machine mows for a living and has 5-6 of them + he trades every 2-3 yrs.:confused:This machine has a Daihatsu 31 diesel and 393 hours(Practically new). I bought it for $9900+$1200shipping, which is a steal compared to a new one. It came out of Wisconsin. Just wanted to share. I'll be mowing a lot of grass next year!!!!!!:dizzy::dizzy:

DaddyRabbit
09-16-2009, 10:23 AM
That looks sweet! Sounds like you got one heck of a deal too. Hit us up with some feedback later.

mowerbrad
09-16-2009, 11:28 AM
That looks like an awesome mower and in great shape too. It looks like it will mow ALOT of grass. Congrats on the purchase!

MOHUSTLER
09-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Enjoy that sweet ride, Scags are hard to beat. And you made the right call not going with cat! Its just to hard to get them worked on.

mowerbrad
09-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Enjoy that sweet ride, Scags are hard to beat. And you made the right call not going with cat! Its just to hard to get them worked on.

CAT's are great engines! The only down side is getting them worked on, the mower dealer can't touch the engine and I believe can only change the oil and a couple filters.

johnnybravo8802
09-16-2009, 12:19 PM
CAT's are great engines! The only down side is getting them worked on, the mower dealer can't touch the engine and I believe can only change the oil and a couple filters.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yea, that was the deciding factor for me on the CAT. I could just see my mower sitting at a CAT dealer for 3-4 weeks and I"m drowning trying to get my stuff done. It's not like they can give you a loaner either. With the CAT, most of the brands were out of the question. I started looking at grasshopper with the Kubota and they were $15,000+ also. The Hustler with the diesel got some bad reviews + it's only 25HP and this thing is 31HP. It seems like anything under 30HP is getting bad reviews about not having enough power. I feel like I made the right decision, especially since I have 60 acres between only 2 of my jobs. I"ll see what it's made of!!!:clapping::clapping:

FastMan
09-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Nice rig, Jonny. I bet it's going to serve you well for a long time

MOHUSTLER
09-16-2009, 01:58 PM

Sorry I should of went into more detail, I do not belive cats are bad engiens at all. Im jsut a dealer and I hate that if I sell a customer a cat that I cant be the one doing the repair on it.

But they are fantastic engines. Although the best diesels we have sold so far are either kubota or yanmar. We just dont see many problems with thoes at all.

Pietro
09-16-2009, 04:50 PM
I have 2 disesls. Youll love it. Sips fuel.

highlander316
09-16-2009, 07:08 PM
that's one big mower. Looks good!

grassman177
09-16-2009, 07:37 PM
the sabre tooth, all but extinct. i mowed with one, although it was a 27 lc kaw. it was great. the advatage deck is pretty good, too bad it iwas not a velocity plus though as it was the best thing scag ever did. and it is a winner i think. but not to be negative, that is a very nice machine and will do you well

nmanley
09-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Sweeet!!!!

johnnybravo8802
09-16-2009, 09:57 PM
the sabre tooth, all but extinct. i mowed with one, although it was a 27 lc kaw. it was great. the advatage deck is pretty good, too bad it iwas not a velocity plus though as it was the best thing scag ever did. and it is a winner i think. but not to be negative, that is a very nice machine and will do you well
Yea, the advantage seemed to be the only choice in the 72" range. I'm not even sure about the difference between the advantage and the velocity-they look exactly alike. Knowing Scag, I'm sure it will cut good. I really like my velocity plus on my 61" TT.

razor1
09-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Looks like a sweet ride. I don't mean to curb your enthusiam but I thought I read some negative reviews on the Diahutsu motors and that's why the tractor company's stopped using them. I hope my memory is wrong and you never have a problem.

johnnybravo8802
09-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Looks like a sweet ride. I don't mean to curb your enthusiam but I thought I read some negative reviews on the Diahutsu motors and that's why the tractor company's stopped using them. I hope my memory is wrong and you never have a problem.
Yea, there doesn't seem to be a lot of good choices out there in the diesel market. I think Kubota is still at the top. I had a gas Daihatsu that was problematic but it seemed to be one of the few lemons. All I've heard about other gas Daihatsu's has been about how tough they are and how long they last. I have heard some negative comments about the Diesel Daihatsu's but you here that about any engine. I also hear a ton of comments about how the 29Kawi is underpowered but I can't seem to stall mine. I'm hoping for some good luck with the new STT also. I'll let you know.

EvenCutLawnCare
09-16-2009, 10:35 PM
You'll absolutely love the 31hp Daihatsu! I have one on a 60" gravely and it is by far the best small engine I own. 1600 hours and not one problem. Have fun with your new machine!

johnnybravo8802
09-16-2009, 11:07 PM
You'll absolutely love the 31hp Daihatsu! I have one on a 60" gravely and it is by far the best small engine I own. 1600 hours and not one problem. Have fun with your new machine!
Is your a diesel? That's music to my ears. Thanks!!!

STIHL GUY
09-16-2009, 11:22 PM
nice mower. thats a great deal as well

02DURAMAX
09-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Awesome Buy!!!!!!

razor1
09-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Yea, there doesn't seem to be a lot of good choices out there in the diesel market. I think Kubota is still at the top. I had a gas Daihatsu that was problematic but it seemed to be one of the few lemons. All I've heard about other gas Daihatsu's has been about how tough they are and how long they last. I have heard some negative comments about the Diesel Daihatsu's but you here that about any engine. I also hear a ton of comments about how the 29Kawi is underpowered but I can't seem to stall mine. I'm hoping for some good luck with the new STT also. I'll let you know.

I had a 22 Kawi LC and a 27 Kawi LC and both had more than enough power and of couse they always ran cool. Good luck with the diesel.

greenred
09-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Congrats Jonny on your new purchase. I would LOVE to have a diesel powered Scag. That mower looks awesome for the hours. Good luck with it. :waving:

dwost
09-18-2009, 01:45 PM
nice rig, that is a beast!

johnnybravo8802
09-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Congrats Jonny on your new purchase. I would LOVE to have a diesel powered Scag. That mower looks awesome for the hours. Good luck with it. :waving:
Thanks man, I'm excited about it, especially about a diesel. I used to drive Class A Big rigs and so I know what diesel engines can do-they take a beating and keep on ticking.

greenred
09-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks man, I'm excited about it, especially about a diesel. I used to drive Class A Big rigs and so I know what diesel engines can do-they take a beating and keep on ticking.

We need to start a club called Team Scag :weightlifter:

Our Motto could be - " Bleed orange or go home"

JShe8918
09-18-2009, 07:05 PM
That thing is sweet! I wanted the Sabre tooth tiger too but they had discontinued it when i went to buy my mower. TEAR tear... The local golf course has one and i have tried it out on the rough and it is a BEAST.

johnnybravo8802
09-18-2009, 07:16 PM
We need to start a club called Team Scag :weightlifter:

Our Motto could be - " Bleed orange or go home"
I hear ya!!!!!!:drinkup:Yea, I looked at the STT back in 01' and decided on a 72" Ferris IS 4000 instead. The Ferris was a flop and I wish I had bought the STT. Well, now I have one!!!!:clapping::clapping:I just like the name.:)