PDA

View Full Version : Cut Quality on my ****-Z 52" is just not good enough. Time for a change.

cookedonphonics
09-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Not looking to badmouth H******. Good company. My local dealer really takes care of me, etc... Problem is the quality of cut is just not up to par unless I cut at or below 2.5 inches (which I think just looks like garbage on the lawns I do). Not to mention that my lawns become weed city when I cut it that low. UGH! For 2 years I've tried every imaginable combination of blades, run doubles, adjusting deck pitch, etc... I've just had it. Today I had a really good customer very politely ask if I would be opposed to just using their mower on the lawn because it just looks nicer than when I use mine and then I wouldn't have to go over it twice. They actually feel bad for me....???!!!!
That was the final straw. I'm done. I'm going to sell the thing at a loss and buy something that actually does what I need it to do.
SO... Northeast LCO's.... any suggestions? I'm open to anything(brand) at this point really. Thinking 60" with a deeper deck (this may be part of my current problem, but I can't change that). Pros/cons...I'm all ears....
Thanks.

Fox Landscape Services
09-16-2009, 04:49 PM
I don't know much about your area grasses but we use Walker mowers and the quality of cut is unmatched. If you have a dealer close they will allow you to demo one at no cost to you. I believe once you try one out you will be very impressed. We have been using Walkers over 14 years now.

milo
09-16-2009, 05:03 PM
check your pm i sent you a message. as for 30 miles from you 1 of the cleanest cuts from a mower i got was from a yazoo max2 60 inch. i really think that had the best cut of any mower i ever used. exmarks perty good, scags perty good and dixie choppers a little better than exmark and scag but the yazoo was a really super clean cut, it has the worst ride but best cut lol.

Pietro
09-16-2009, 05:45 PM
We use toros in central NJ. They work well.

THC
09-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Today I had a really good customer very politely ask if I would be opposed to just using their mower on the lawn because it just looks nicer than when I use mine and then I wouldn't have to go over it twice. They actually feel bad for me....???!!!!
That was the final straw.
oh no:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: That would be embarrassing.

I'll just throw this out here just in case though you probably know a lot more about mowing then I do.. I had cut problems with year with my toro turbo force deck. I improve when I rose my deck from the ground and lowered my blades inside the deck. Now my blades just inside the bottom edge of the deck.

But I mulch so I don't know.

lawnspecialties
09-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Sold my Hustlers two seasons ago and bought three new Gravelys. Similar pump/wheel motor/engine setups but a far better quality of cut.

mowerbrad
09-16-2009, 08:00 PM
I have used a number of mowers and have seen plenty other mowers cut. Around me I like the Deere 7-ironII deck, Toro turbo force, Dixie Chopper, and exmark ultra cut. Those are easily the best cuts around me. But I would highly suggest that you demo as many mowers as you can and see which one you like best.

tacoma200
09-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Don't feel bad I was asked not to use my Hustler on certain lawns. Ultra Cuts are very good for a table top cut buy you may scrape the deck a bit more than some. Of course Walker. The Scag Velocity has been my best "all around" deck for trouble lawns and the Ultra Cut the best for manicured lawns. Just my experience.

gene gls
09-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Not looking to badmouth H******. Good company. My local dealer really takes care of me, etc... Problem is the quality of cut is just not up to par unless I cut at or below 2.5 inches (which I think just looks like garbage on the lawns I do). Not to mention that my lawns become weed city when I cut it that low. UGH! For 2 years I've tried every imaginable combination of blades, run doubles, adjusting deck pitch, etc... I've just had it. Today I had a really good customer very politely ask if I would be opposed to just using their mower on the lawn because it just looks nicer than when I use mine and then I wouldn't have to go over it twice. They actually feel bad for me....???!!!!
That was the final straw. I'm done. I'm going to sell the thing at a loss and buy something that actually does what I need it to do.
SO... Northeast LCO's.... any suggestions? I'm open to anything(brand) at this point really. Thinking 60" with a deeper deck (this may be part of my current problem, but I can't change that). Pros/cons...I'm all ears....
Thanks.
So, what are you mowing with thats not working?

Turf Dawg
09-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Please try out a Walker Super B, and then please demo all the other brands you can get. I would never buy a expensive mower without trying it. Just because Joe Bob likes X and Jim Bob swears by Z does not mean they will work well for you.

kendallhadden
09-17-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm very interested in the replies to this thread.

cookedonphonics
09-17-2009, 02:02 PM
So, what are you mowing with thats not working?

Hustler mini-Z 52" 19 HP Kawasaki

BigSkyMower
09-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Find the best local dealers and have them bring their best rigs for a 'beauty contest'. I demoed two 60" mowers for two days and I was able to avoid a popular 'brand name' mistake for my application. Dealers do this all the time.

lilweeds
09-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Since your using Hustlers and from Reading, I assume you are buying from Walker's??? Demo what he has, Toro's, Scags, Exmarks..... I love my Grandstand, if you'd like come cut with me one day!

punt66
09-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Ferris with their new deck design! Briggs BB!

punt66
09-17-2009, 05:00 PM

That is underpowered for a 52. My ferris 52" is a 25 kawi.

gene gls
09-17-2009, 06:15 PM

That stands to reason, most every one is having problems with the Mini Z's. Its a home owner model, under powered for sure and the deck probely has baffles in it to recut the clippings whitch creates another problem.

AnonomousDealer
09-17-2009, 07:45 PM
I am a Hustler dealer. I believe I have a solution to your problem. I have this come up frequently in my dealership, not just with Hustler but with Scags, Toros and Choppers (we sell all 4 brands)

Have GOOD DEALER contact the factory and get the pitch (also known as rake) specs on you model deck. The pitch of the mower deck is essential to cut quality and can make a a HUGE difference. It could have been set wrong from the factory. However, most of the time its gets out of adjustment becasue a mower operater has struck an object...root, concret...limb...whatever... "just right" or awkwardly to change the setting. As little as less than 1/8th of an inch makes a HUGE difference. Also, good dealers know certain types of grasses cut better at certain pitch ratios and can manipulate the pitch to improve cut.

I promise you your mini-z 52" Hustler can and will cut equally as good or better than anything on the market with the same size engine. You need a good, high volume dealer with lost of experience to fix this. Contact PJ (and no i dont work for hustler) He can get you the specs you need but find the right dealer becasue like I said a good dealer will know what works well in your area.

Also, run some Hustler brand blades. I know they are expensive but I promise you it will help in conjunction with your deck being reset. Check RPMs too. It is perfectly safe and ok to raise your RPMs on any brand of engine to 3850 no load or 3900 even without fear of damage.

Don't take a loss on your mower in a recession and be a Hustler hater until all of this had been done by a GOOD DEALER.

Good luck!

NEWGUYRI
09-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Kubota ZTR, very deep deck.

lifetree
09-17-2009, 10:33 PM
I'll chime in here and say the others that recommend doing demo's before you buy anything are absolutely right on point !!

JCLawn and more
09-17-2009, 10:41 PM
If your blades are to high in the deck and the deck is hitting the ground, then I would do a little deck trimming with a torch. Sounds like a stupid thing to do, but it works if that is the problem. I would be sure that the deck is level when its that low.

LilesLawn
09-17-2009, 10:48 PM
My best cutting mower is the John Deere 48" Floating Deck Hydrostatic with Mulch Kit.

G. Ramey
09-17-2009, 11:25 PM
The mini z deck is an old design maybe a newer hustler with a different deck wwould solve your problem. I feel your pain I have a 19/52 too. It does a terrible job at 3 and a half inches or higher.

marksc
09-18-2009, 12:09 AM
You could try Passmore Service above Boyertown they carry Exmark, Scag, Dixie and Walker. They are a pretty big dealer and are happy to let you demo. They dropped off a 35 briggs Turf Tiger for me to try, and they dropped off and picked up when they said. There inventory is getting low but they still have a couple good deals. A friend of mine got a next Lazer Hp 27 Kohler 60 Ultracut 4 for $8700.

cookedonphonics
09-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Since your using Hustlers and from Reading, I assume you are buying from Walker's??? Demo what he has, Toro's, Scags, Exmarks..... I love my Grandstand, if you'd like come cut with me one day!

Yeah, Walker's. Good guys there. Talked to Nate this morning about demoing a Scag Tiger cat, but he doesn't have any Scag demos yet because he changed distributors recently, so he's going to let me take out a Toro G3 60" with a Turbo Force deck. He says a lot of his customers swear by the cut quality on them. He mentioned the adjustable baffle that really seems to be a hit with the people who have tried it. We'll see...

Thanks to everybody for their input. The search continue. I'll post the results of my demo.

RonAyersMotorsports
09-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Unfortunately the Mini Z decks and Super Duty decks are not best decks for commercial cutting above 2.5". Talk to your dealer about trading your old Mini Z for a New Hustler Z or Super Z with an XR-7 deck. These decks perform great no complaints on the units with this deck setup. I can understand your fustration with the Mini Z deck I have been trying to convince my rep and Hustler to even put the XR-7 decks on the New Z4 and this unit would blow the competition out of the water. I understand they are trying to keep the cost down but even with the added cost of the XR-7 deck we could still be very competitive on pricing with our competition and out cut their units all day long.

RonAyersMotorsports
09-18-2009, 11:25 AM
We just got a new 31hp 54" Super Z with an XR-7 deck. This machine is absolutely awsome. I would put it up against ANY mower and even out cut most 60" units.

The 19 hp is way to small for anything more than residental homeowner cutting. I'm sorry your dealer recommended that unit for commercial cutting. I can't believe he expected you to be satisfied. You say he's a good dealer so again see if he'll trade you up on a new Hustler Z or Super Z.

MOHUSTLER
09-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Ya thats an outdated hustler by 5 years. Its not in production anymore for a reason. Go with something with an XR7. They offer an amazing cut! The old style decks are "homeowner ONLY"

puppypaws
09-18-2009, 09:19 PM
We just got a new 31hp 54" Super Z with an XR-7 deck. This machine is absolutely awsome. I would put it up against ANY mower and even out cut most 60" units.

That is the big difference, enough hp so as to never notice any rpm drop. No rpm drop, no under performance from deck, the deck functions to its design capability at all times. Any amount of rpm drop and you are operating a different mower, with different deck capabilities.

You can put the same mower with marginal hp in damp grass, if the rpms drop slightly you will be looking at chunks of wet grass coming out the discharge. Take the same mower with excessive hp, zero rpm drop and the damp grass will be fanned out in force, like being sprayed from a fire hose. A large number of people think they have a poor performing deck, when in all actuality they don't have enough hp to keep the deck functioning to its maximum potential. Wet grass can pull a great deal of hp (5+ or more easily), from an engine attempting to deliver it to the cutting deck, and if the delivered power goes through a mule drive, you've lost about 3 more hp.

You have a top of the line setup, 31 hp on a 54" deck will get the job done to maximum performance in all cutting situations. Don't be bashful, go ahead and tell the people there are very few 72" deck mowers you can't mow close to as much grass in a days time because of the Super Z's extra speed and never slowing down from lack of power. When you take a 72" deck mower that is marginal on power and put it into heavy cutting, your 31/54 will run circles around it, right or wrong?

JCLawn and more
09-18-2009, 09:47 PM
That is the big difference, enough hp so as to never notice any rpm drop. No rpm drop, no under performance from deck, the deck functions to its design capability at all times. Any amount of rpm drop and you are operating a different mower, with different deck capabilities.

You can put the same mower with marginal hp in damp grass, if the rpms drop slightly you will be looking at chunks of wet grass coming out the discharge. Take the same mower with excessive hp, zero rpm drop and the damp grass will be fanned out in force, like being sprayed from a fire hose. A large number of people think they have a poor performing deck, when in all actuality they don't have enough hp to keep the deck functioning to its maximum potential. Wet grass can pull a great deal of hp (5+ or more easily), from an engine attempting to deliver it to the cutting deck, and if the delivered power goes through a mule drive, you've lost about 3 more hp.

You have a top of the line setup, 31 hp on a 54" deck will get the job done to maximum performance in all cutting situations. Don't be bashful, go ahead and tell the people there are very few 72" deck mowers you can't mow close to as much grass in a days time because of the Super Z's extra speed and never slowing down from lack of power. When you take a 72" deck mower that is marginal on power and put it into heavy cutting, your 31/54 will run circles around it, right or wrong?

just put a 350 in the thing. know that would be a mower wouldn't it? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

JCLawn and more
09-18-2009, 10:51 PM
think this would work?

grassman177
09-18-2009, 11:41 PM
i would like to mow withthat thiing, i bet you woould get more than looks as you were mowing!

Turf Dawg
09-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Please be sure to try and demo a Walker Super B before you make your final decision.

JCLawn and more
09-19-2009, 09:17 AM
I think the deck is not heavy enough for the mower though

RonAyersMotorsports
09-19-2009, 10:05 AM
In wet grass, tall grass the 31hp 54" would cut circles around anything else we or other competitors have. Just don't throw the sticks forward to quickly on this monster with 21cc Hydraulic pumps you may find yourself riding on the wheely wheels for the first 3ft.:weightlifter:

Jail Bird
10-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Super B all day long

Hoy landscaping
10-03-2009, 05:04 PM
i run scag in Hatfield, PA. its amazing

dgw
10-03-2009, 09:17 PM
gravely , walker

im a little biased though