PDA

View Full Version : What is growing in my new bermuda

blake711
09-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Hello I purchased a new home this spring and they put new Bermuda sod on the whole lot its in north eastern Oklahoma. I have watered and maintained it regularly. Early when the grass started growing I had some weeds that would come up I would pull them daily. Well with the heat of summer they got away with me. Now I have some type of weed all over my yard. It grows like a vine kinda like burmuda but I don't know what it is. Can you tell me what it is and the best way to get rid of it. Also fall is coming on any tips on what I should do to the yard this fall and next spring so I only have healthy grass and no weeds. Thanks.

Pictures below are one of good sod. Next is sod with weed. Next is Weed stood up and the vines pulled out of bermuda. Last is the weed pulled on the pavement. Thanks!

Blaken

suzook
09-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Looks like crabgrass.

RAlmaroad
09-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Yes, large smooth Crabgrass. Next spring use a pre-emergent such as "Gallery". Try to keep it mowed as not to produce seeds. Also pick up grass clippings this time of year with seeds in them. Hire a reputable professional to apply the correct herbicide and amount to clear up what you have growing.

Akita
09-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Looks like crabgrass is a common problem in new bermuda sod. Happened in my sod too.

ted putnam
09-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Others are correct. Crabgrass. Too late for post emergent anything this year. Pull it if you can. Don't worry about the rest and like others said, try to prevent it next season with a pre-emergent app in the Spring.

RigglePLC
09-17-2009, 11:05 PM
45 degress prevents further growth. Frost kills it.

Do not pull it. Cut it off flush with the ground with a big serrated steak knife. Its quick and you don't get a big hole from the root ball. The roots do not sprout.

jbrown5
09-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Be sure to use a good grassy weed pre-emergent like prodiamine or pendimethalin. Gallery will not control crabgrass, it strictly prevents broadleaf weeds.

JShe8918
09-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Wow. I just sodded my yard with tifway 419 and have crab grass and another weed i haven't been able to identify in it. I was considering doing a post m to get rid of the hideousness but i just might wait.

Think Green
09-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Up here in Arkansas, we have had serious outbreaks of Crab and Dallis in the 419 fields.
Out of each piece on the pallet, you can see 3-4 sprouts and stems of these weeds.
The seeds are already present in the upper inch of that sod. They will wait until the Bermuda starts to root because it takes about that long for them to start as well.
Around here, before the sod is cut from the fields, they reel mow it......just to get rid of the odd weeds like these. You can't tell when the sod is mowed low......then when new growth starts.............so does the weeds. Preemerge's aren't as redily used in the sod fields. To keep their costs at a minimal, they apply least as possible. High quality sod farms take good care of their sod, but the cost of a pallet reflects the overhead.
Where is the happy medium??

ted putnam
09-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Up here in Arkansas, we have had serious outbreaks of Crab and Dallis in the 419 fields.
Out of each piece on the pallet, you can see 3-4 sprouts and stems of these weeds.
The seeds are already present in the upper inch of that sod. They will wait until the Bermuda starts to root because it takes about that long for them to start as well.
Around here, before the sod is cut from the fields, they reel mow it......just to get rid of the odd weeds like these. You can't tell when the sod is mowed low......then when new growth starts.............so does the weeds. Preemerge's aren't as redily used in the sod fields. To keep their costs at a minimal, they apply least as possible. High quality sod farms take good care of their sod, but the cost of a pallet reflects the overhead.

The plant board and their certified sod program has done a pretty good job in slowing the spread of the Fire Ants. Unfortunately it has been too little too late. They are about 5-6 yrs behind where they should have been. They were bringing those things in literally by the container full from Louisiana in nursery stock until they got smart and quarantined it at the state line. Almost every newly sodded lawn I've seen this year has been full of buttonweed and nutgrass. You can tell the sod farms are in a financial crunch. They won't spend any money on specialty herbicides. They're operating on the philosophy that if 2,4 D won't get it then it just can't be controlled:dizzy:

suzook
09-20-2009, 01:20 PM

WOW, this would not be tolerated on Long Island. The sod farms out here are 99% weed free.

JShe8918
09-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Hello I purchased a new home this spring and they put new Bermuda sod on the whole lot its in north eastern Oklahoma. I have watered and maintained it regularly. Early when the grass started growing I had some weeds that would come up I would pull them daily. Well with the heat of summer they got away with me. Now I have some type of weed all over my yard. It grows like a vine kinda like burmuda but I don't know what it is. Can you tell me what it is and the best way to get rid of it. Also fall is coming on any tips on what I should do to the yard this fall and next spring so I only have healthy grass and no weeds. Thanks.

Pictures below are one of good sod. Next is sod with weed. Next is Weed stood up and the vines pulled out of bermuda. Last is the weed pulled on the pavement. Thanks!

Blaken

I have a recommendation for you. You should most definitely using a quality fertilizer. Then take that stuff DOWN to the ground nearly. I see more brown stem than i do green leaf. Bermuda is strange and takes a little getting use to when mowing it. But it has a stem above the ground and then the green leaf. So get rid of alot of the stem and let the leaf grow. Basically what i did was set my mower two notches lower than what i wanted to normally mow at and scalped it so to speak. Then mowed it in a few days one position higher and then another few days at the height i wanted. Now it looks so much better. Just my thoughts. i know that is off topic but i am just trying to help you out. Also if you mow more frequently like ever 4 days or something you actually train the grass to not grow vertically as much as horizontally. This makes for a yard that is thicker and more lush.

Jonathan

TPnTX
09-21-2009, 10:20 PM
there are still plenty of warm days left around here. Tulsa isn't that much different. Why wouldn't you go ahead and hit it with msma now?

ted putnam
09-22-2009, 12:14 AM
there are still plenty of warm days left around here. Tulsa isn't that much different. Why wouldn't you go ahead and hit it with msma now?

It may yellow it...a little. Knock it back...a little. But what's the point. Unless we're expected to bump 90 again for an extended period, it's a waste of time and material because it won't kill it. Not to mention the fact that it's not a very environmentally sound practice. Most, not all people are understanding that weather, specifically temperatures have to be in the right range for the herbicide to work. I am further south than Tulsa and see no point in spraying it at this time. JMO

greendoctor
09-22-2009, 01:35 AM
WOW, this would not be tolerated on Long Island. The sod farms out here are 99% weed free.

Nor would this be tolerated in Hawaii. Sod is bought with the expectation that it is the stated cultivar and there is zero contamination by weeds or wild grasses. Which is not asking too much considering what a sq ft of bermuda goes for here. $2.25 or more.

chaser2587
09-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey that looks just like my yard! The sad part is I put out a pre emergent for crabgrass circa march, I guess it was too late because it's everywhere.

JShe8918
09-22-2009, 03:10 PM
March is about 8 weeks to late. LoL. Pre m should be sprayed in late january or very early February in alabama and georgia. Don't forget to winterize and spray pre emergence at the end of this month or else your gonna have alot of pesky winter weeds. Bermuda gets lots of weeds when maintained at higher levels because it isn't as dense as if it were reel mowed.

chaser2587
09-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Ooops! Yeah I had no idea march was too late. I'll definitely put down the winterizer and pre emergence if it ever quits raining here in GA. Thanks for your help!

JShe8918
09-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Ooops! Yeah I had no idea march was too late. I'll definitely put down the winterizer and pre emergence if it ever quits raining here in GA. Thanks for your help!

You have more headed your way. It just started back today at 5.30 pm. We have been dry since yesterday morning until now. UGH... I am tired of all the rain it is going on two weeks of rain. and still 60% most of the week. Good luck with your bermuda. Read read read... What kind of Pre M are you using?

JShe8918
09-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Sorry I meant the end of october not the end of september. I was thinking it was already October.

chaser2587
09-22-2009, 10:38 PM
You have more headed your way. It just started back today at 5.30 pm. We have been dry since yesterday morning until now. UGH... I am tired of all the rain it is going on two weeks of rain. and still 60% most of the week. Good luck with your bermuda. Read read read... What kind of Pre M are you using?

Geees thanks for sending more rain. j/k :laugh:. I don't know really know yet, I haven't done too much research (yet) on the pre emergence stuff. Do you have any suggestions you would like to share???

chaser2587
09-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Sorry I meant the end of october not the end of september. I was thinking it was already October.

October already!.... its only about a week away. Maybe it will stop raining by October. lmao.

JShe8918
09-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Yep yep... Mid Sept/Mid Oct 5-10-20 Pre M or 0-0-7 Dimension. You can pick it us at Lesco. It is all granular so you get a quality spreader and set it up correctly. I have more info i can share with you if needed. Look at sandmantopdressing.com

chaser2587
09-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Yep yep... Mid Sept/Mid Oct 5-10-20 Pre M or 0-0-7 Dimension. You can pick it us at Lesco. It is all granular so you get a quality spreader and set it up correctly. I have more info i can share with you if needed. Look at sandmantopdressing.com

That's a very useful website, thanks. I'm definitely going to use the Lesco products, that seems to be the way to go. I would be very appreciative if you could share more info with me. I didn't get the house until december and didn't get a head start on the lawn. I didn't really know what to do other than fertilize. I grew up with a fescue lawn so taking care of bermuda is new to me. Any advice would be appreciated!

JShe8918
09-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Get your post count up so you can receive PM's and i we can talk further about care. I think it requires a minimum of 25 post before you can send or accept PM's.

Jonathan

chaser2587
09-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Get your post count up so you can receive PM's and i we can talk further about care. I think it requires a minimum of 25 post before you can send or accept PM's.

Jonathan

Ok I'll work on getting my post count up.

CAROLINALAWNMAN1
09-23-2009, 09:08 PM
definitely crabgrass....Dimension...to apps/year..few weeks before greening and another 5-6 months later..never see it again

chaser2587
09-24-2009, 11:13 AM
You definitely can't kill it after it's mature.

blake711
02-13-2010, 12:56 PM
bumping my thread from last fall. Its middle of February now. Temps in Tulsa have been averaging mid-30sto mid 40s each day with occasional 50 degree day. Of course we had some really cold weather a few days at a time with some snow also the last month. So what pre-emergent do I need to put down on my Bermuda grass to kill that crab grass before it comes back this year? Also when do I need to put it down? Do I need a certain temp for so many days? This is new grass that was installed last March.

Thanks,
Blake

Turfdoctor1
02-13-2010, 01:28 PM
I would suggest hiring a professional. I cannot imagine that buying a sprayer and chemicals and doing the work yourself is going to be cost effective.

The time is now to be putting down your pre-emergent. Anytime from now until mid march is fine. You must get it down before the crabgrass germinates, and the average date when soil temperatures reach levels that crabgrass can germinate is about March 15th in Tulsa. you just want to make sure you get it down before then.

If you are going to do this yourself, you can buy granular products with pendimethalin. But, these products would have fertilizer in them, driving up your cost. And, there is absolutely no need to add fertilizer to a dormant bermuda grass right now. If you have a sprayer and access to purchasing chemical, you could purchase pendimethalin in a liquid form and spray yourself. However, the life of this chemical is not going to last you all summer. If, on the other hand, you hire a professional, they will probably spray prodiamine. Prodiamine will prevent crabgrass throughout the growing season.

If you have a 1/4 acre lot, you can hire a pro for $300 a year. And, you are going to be much better off in the long run.

ksJoe
02-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Looks like he can buy Prodiamine (http://cgi.ebay.com/GUARDRAIL-65WDG-Prodiamine-Compare-to-Barricade-5lb_W0QQitemZ360197331473QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53dd6f1a11) too.

blake711
02-14-2010, 05:40 PM
If you have a 1/4 acre lot, you can hire a pro for $300 a year. And, you are going to be much better off in the long run.

I don't mind hiring a pro as long as I get pro results. Two guys that live right by me used a large chain company in Tulsa last year. They have white trucks with green writing is all I will say. They had little blue flowers and clover and all kinds of stuff growing after multiple applications. Complete waste of money imo. So how do I know if someone is for real or not? Do I need spraying a couple times a month? Or just twice during the year? Thanks

blake711
09-19-2010, 11:51 AM

Ok so now is the time for me to do treat my lawn this year correct?

I had a so called pro come out in spring and put down 0-0-7 dimension from lesco but I think he did it to late because I had grab grass and weeds so bad I had to spot treat all over with Ortho. Then I think I put it on two strong in spots as certain parts of my yard never got as thick and green as places I didn't treat.

Anyway its mid September I still have some grabgrass and some stuff that shoots up in little stalks like a green onion in places. I have a spreader so do I just need to get some more lesco and have at it? Also what lesco for next spring as a pre-emergent?

Turf Dawg
09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
You are several hours north of me so you might be a tad late, but I do not know what your temps have been. To really do it right you need to put down a pre-m for cool season broadleaves like Gallery and a pre-m for cool season grassy weeds [Poa] like the Pendi. If you have not fertilized in a while I would get the Fert & Pre-M combo from Lesco and then get some Gallery. I bet the onion looking weed you are describing is Nut Sedge.
Mid Feb or early March is when you want to apply the Dimension for the Crabgrass and again around June. If you can find some Prodiamine granular for your spreader I would use it instead of the Dimension because of the longer life.

blake711
09-21-2010, 12:26 AM
You are several hours north of me so you might be a tad late, but I do not know what your temps have been. To really do it right you need to put down a pre-m for cool season broadleaves like Gallery and a pre-m for cool season grassy weeds [Poa] like the Pendi. If you have not fertilized in a while I would get the Fert & Pre-M combo from Lesco and then get some Gallery. I bet the onion looking weed you are describing is Nut Sedge.
Mid Feb or early March is when you want to apply the Dimension for the Crabgrass and again around June. If you can find some Prodiamine granular for your spreader I would use it instead of the Dimension because of the longer life.
ITs been in low 90s hi and around 70s as low. A few days a couple weeks ago were cooler. What temps am I looking for?

Turf Dawg
09-21-2010, 08:36 AM
ITs been in low 90s hi and around 70s as low. A few days a couple weeks ago were cooler. What temps am I looking for?

You just want to be sure that you get it down and watered in before the seeds germinate. I cannot remember the exact soil temps but since you have still been in the 90's you should be safe if you go ahead and do it now. I have several more I need to do also.

blake711
09-22-2010, 10:34 PM
You just want to be sure that you get it down and watered in before the seeds germinate. I cannot remember the exact soil temps but since you have still been in the 90's you should be safe if you go ahead and do it now. I have several more I need to do also.

Called Lesco today talked to them. They said I was still ok to put it down now. They told me to use 5-10-20 pre-m right now. Then 0-0-7 early next spring before Crabgrass germinates.

So I got a 50# bag of each and put down the 5-10-20 today and watered it in with 1/4 per their instructions.

How long does it normally take to see pre-m start killing stuff. Also for my spreader it said use setting of 5.5-7.25 so I did 6.

Thanks again for your help.

Turf Dawg
09-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Called Lesco today talked to them. They said I was still ok to put it down now. They told me to use 5-10-20 pre-m right now. Then 0-0-7 early next spring before Crabgrass germinates.

So I got a 50# bag of each and put down the 5-10-20 today and watered it in with 1/4 per their instructions.

How long does it normally take to see pre-m start killing stuff. Also for my spreader it said use setting of 5.5-7.25 so I did 6.

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry, but the pre-m does not kill anything that has already germinated and growing [existing weeds]. What it does is keep weed seeds from germinating [the ones you do not see yet]. If you need to kill what you can see, then you have to use a post emergent weed killer. Personally as far North as you are, I would not worry about trying to kill the Crabgrass you have now because it just has a couple of months left to live anyway. Just be sure to get that 007 pre-m down in the mid Feb to early March [depending on soil temp] to keep the Crabgrass from retuning next season. BTW, if you have sandy soil then use the lower rate of 007 and if you have clay soil use the high rate of 007.

blake711
09-23-2010, 11:43 AM
So Pre-M doesn't kill anything that's growing? So did I even need an application of it now?

I thought the Crabgrass dies each year and that the spring application will kill it when it germinates.

So did I do any good putting it down right now?

Turf Dawg
09-23-2010, 08:36 PM
So Pre-M doesn't kill anything that's growing? So did I even need an application of it now?

I thought the Crabgrass dies each year and that the spring application will kill it when it germinates.

So did I do any good putting it down right now?

Fall application helps with Poa and some of the other cool season broadleaves. I generally recommend a Gallery brand pre-m to really help with the broadleaves in the fall and also the pre-m fert combo that you put down for the fall feeding and Poa control.
You are right about the Crabgrass. It does die with a good frost, so the spring app will keep the seeds from germinating. That is why it might be better for you to do some split apps of 007 Dimension instead of the 007Pendi in the spring, because the Dimension pre-m will actually kill early stage Crabgrass that has germinated.
Just remember any Herbicide that has "Pre" in the heading will not do any good on weeds that have already germinated.

blake711
02-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Ok back again I checked my soil and its 52 degress this morning been warm last week after two weeks of snow on the ground. Also agweather shows my area in low 50s. http://agweather.mesonet.org/index.php/data/section/soil_water

I have a spreader and some Pre-M 0-0-7 so now is the time right?

RigglePLC
02-21-2011, 11:50 AM
I am not near your state. But I would say time is right for pre-emergent crabgrass control, if your soil temp is 52. That should mean you air temps have hit around 70 a few times, right? If crabgrass has been a problem be sure to use the maximum rate allowed on the bag. And be sure and do a second application about 6 to 8 weeks later. Don't be surprised if you need some broadleaf weed control before long also. Normal to need more broadleaf weed control later in the season also.

blake711
06-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Ok so I am just starting summer now. I Switched from Pre-M to Dimension this year. It has done a much better job imo than Pre-M last 2 years, but I still have some small spots of Crabgrass and the occasional other nuisance weed or grass. Can you tell me what I can use now to combat the growing nuisances that will not hurt my Bermuda? I need to fertilize again so if its a mixture that will work also.

Thanks.

RigglePLC
06-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Ortho weed and crabgrass killer would be a good bet. Be sure to follow the label directions carefully. Treat early and often--you don't want crabgrass to get big and tough before you spray. Or weeds for that matter.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod70146&itemId=cat50064

blake711
03-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Ok so back again this season. About 3 weeks ago I put down some Dimension crab grass preventer (http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/green-light-crabgrass-preventer%3Csub%3E2%3C-sub%3E-with-dimension/prod10780070/) Now I have some weeds popping up that I want to know if I can go after them now. My bermuda is still dormant and hasn't started greening up next to driveway or bricks yet. I was planning on using Ortho Weed B Gon Max for Sothern Lawns (http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/ortho-weed-b-gon-max-southern-lawns-concentrate/prod70238/http://) Looks like main ingredient is 2,4-D others are listed on that page.

I have some dandelions along with the following weeds that I am unsure of the name.
Weed #1 Henbit ??
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8085/8552616572_477971555c.jpg

Weed #2
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8388/8552616180_bc678d9c18.jpg

Similar to weed 2
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8086/8552650802_6dcd35bcb0.jpg
Some other flowery looking weed
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8249/8552615828_8723b16d01.jpg

Small grassy weed mixed with first weed.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8371/8551513253_7f7094a841.jpg

Have a few 70 degree days coming up was planning on spraying the weed-b-gone then. As always thanks for the help.

RigglePLC
03-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Looks like henbit.
http://www.msuturfweeds.net/details/_/henbit_10/
Second weed is hairy bittercress. The Ortho product is a good choice for those.

The weedy grass is poa annua...more difficult problem. I am not from bermuda country so you will have to relie on more local advice for that problem.

georgialawn88
03-12-2013, 09:25 PM
blake711, its too late to get rid of the poa annua. itll die off on its own when temps start warming and bermuda will replace it. im fromgeorgia it sticks around through mid april if you have it but it will die. to prevent next yr use a pre-emergent september and maybe oct depending on your weather. im not familiar with

georgialawn88
03-12-2013, 09:26 PM
and if you dont have a lot of the bittercress just pull it up roots should b very shallow

ted putnam
03-12-2013, 11:47 PM
Since you are in Tulsa, you are north of me. I just quit spraying Glyphosate in dormant bermuda on large areas last week. I might still spot spray it in certain areas(still dormant) but probably only this week. After that, no more using it for me unless it is used as a non-selective. Bermuda is beginning to green a little in thin areas and close to concrete and brick. You are probably running about a week behind me so you still have time...but not much. The little flower weed is called "Star of Bethlehem". 3-way won't kill it but R-Up will. If not killed it will go dormant through summer only to return next spring. 3-way will also do nothing for the annual bluegrass(poa annua) and yes, it will die with the heat but R-Up will take it out too if caught in time.

If you mix according to directions on the label, a misting of your herbicide of choice should be all it takes.

blake711
03-13-2013, 04:35 AM
and if you dont have a lot of the bittercress just pull it up roots should b very shallow

That is actually my worst one Its pretty bad on my back yard. The front is pretty clean.

georgialawn88
03-13-2013, 10:10 PM
That is actually my worst one Its pretty bad on my back yard. The front is pretty clean.

use 3-way if you can get some if not i guess from home depot weed b gone. i guess i really dont know its week but its a week weed. text me ill be happy to speak w u. 4045575782

blake711
07-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Ok guys so my yard is growing pretty well and for most part all the weeds are gone and don't have crabgrass all over it.

I do have a couple things that I need to get rid of.

First not sure what this is but its growing next to one of my sidewalks. Is there anyway to kill this without damaging my burmuda? Its hot here in Oklahoma now 90-100 everyday right now. also the last picture is growing in a dirt spot behind one of my fences. Can I get rid of this also?

The main thing is getting rid of the stuff in the top two photos without killing my Bermuda.

Thanks.

macgyver_GA
07-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Ok guys so my yard is growing pretty well and for most part all the weeds are gone and don't have crabgrass all over it.

I do have a couple things that I need to get rid of.

First not sure what this is but its growing next to one of my sidewalks. Is there anyway to kill this without damaging my burmuda? Its hot here in Oklahoma now 90-100 everyday right now. also the last picture is growing in a dirt spot behind one of my fences. Can I get rid of this also?

The main thing is getting rid of the stuff in the top two photos without killing my Bermuda.

Thanks.

First photo is crabgrass. Second is spurge. Celcius at max rate should take care of both.