PDA

View Full Version : 28" RER-Ariens vs. Snapper

rccola
05-01-2002, 12:28 PM
Most people agree that both snapper and ariens make fine rer's.
For a residential lot under 1/2 acre both recommend their 28".
But which will produce the best finish cut? Because ariens has rollers and snapper doesn't it appears ariens would have the edge. Local snapper dealers say that the snapper 33" will give a better cut that the 28" because of the roller's, but that an additional $800-900. But I guess I'd bite the bulet if is just that much better then the ariens 28". Need to decide soon. Any feed back would be appreciated. Lot is a flat corner lot with slight roll down at the curb.

James234
05-04-2002, 02:08 AM
"Rollers" don't have anything to do with the cut. The rollers should never touch the ground while you are mowing. If you are going to spend that much money on one or the other, then have the dealers haul them out to your house and let you test the cut on your own lawn. In short, one strike against the salesman that told you the roller story.:angry:

snuggleman308
06-19-2002, 09:47 AM
My '99 snapper 28" high-vac has 3 rollers, one in front of deck and two on the back.

John

Eng Mwr Guy
06-19-2002, 10:27 AM
Unless the roller is the length of the deck width, rollers would not matter for quality of cut / appearance.

The 1028 has been a reliable performer for us over the years.

I agree with James234 that the proof is in the testing.

Good luck in your purchase decision

Barry
Ariens Company
Product Manager/Team Leader
Consumer Products

wodinsc
06-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Until I moved two years ago, I had used an Ariens 30" r.e. rider on a 3/4 acre lot for 16 years. At the time I bought it, Consumer Reports had just rated it best in cut quality for a r.e. rider and it was a little less expensive than a Snapper. It was a great mower and the cut was excellent. No rollers of any kind on the deck. Just skid bars on the sides to keep it from digging in if it hit the ground. My stepson is still using it. The design has not really changed much over the years and I would still recommend it.

Eng Mwr Guy
06-21-2002, 09:29 AM
And that will be changing soon..... :-)

Barry