PDA

View Full Version : Spike aerator

firstchoice1
09-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Does anyone have any experience with these? Thinking about going spike since it doesn't leave plugs on the ground. Any pros/cons?

Thanks,

-Travis

Kutz Lawns
09-16-2009, 10:57 PM
I thought a core aerator was the best from what I've read!

Do some research on the web and do some reading, everybody says core is the best!

jfoxtrot9
09-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Think about this... Where does the dirt go from the space you just created with the spike? ( how about you just pushed it outward, compacting the area around it even moreso.) This is not aerating.

Besides whats the proble with the plugs left behind? They are gone in a few weeks.

grass4gas
09-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Think about this... Where does the dirt go from the space you just created with the spike? ( how about you just pushed it outward, compacting the area around it even moreso.) This is not aerating.

Besides whats the proble with the plugs left behind? They are gone in a few weeks.

Exactly!!!

Spike aeration...that's an oxymoron I think, does nothing but compact the soil. The same principal behind those goofy shoes with spikes attached. It simply does not work.

You want the cores to filter down so as to get some OM to help breakdown any thatch that is present. By pulling cores, you help relieve compaction, stimulate root growth, allow water and oxygen to be more prevelant for good plant health.

phasthound
09-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Exactly!!!

Spike aeration...that's an oxymoron I think, does nothing but compact the soil. The same principal behind those goofy shoes with spikes attached. It simply does not work.

You want the cores to filter down so as to get some OM to help breakdown any thatch that is present. By pulling cores, you help relieve compaction, stimulate root growth, allow water and oxygen to be more prevelant for good plant health.

Yea, what he said! Then top dress with compost for best results.

Creative1
09-18-2009, 12:48 PM
If you go to customers that have ever used a quality lawn care company and mention spike aerating. They will probably run you off. Because their previous lawn care companies have educated them in this area and know that spiking is a complete waste of their money. Plugging is the only way to go. And in my opinion, don't show up at a customers yard with the pull behind plugger you got on clearance at lowes either. Most people go that route to save money up front but ends up costing them jobs b/c customers call you back when they see results, which you will get much more of with a quality aerator. Those plugs are actually good for the lawn. Hope this helps......

Runner
09-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Spike aeration - One of the best ways to help compact a lawn.