PDA

View Full Version : Best Push Mower?

KennMack
09-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Looking to find a good push mower! Anybody have any suggestions on which push mower you recommend? Thanks for any suggestions! Also Hustler or Scagg? Which one do you think? Thanks

WH401
09-17-2009, 09:23 AM
You can't go wrong with a Honda, I love mine.

heybruck34
09-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Bobcat 21" push mowers from the 70's and 80's. 1/4" thick aluminum deck, easily replacable wheels, steel handle and the ubiquitous Briggs 5HP.

None of this blade brake, throttle cable, safety switch stuff. I have one and love it. This is not a picture of mine but Googled the Internet machine:

http://jnem2.home.att.net/pics/BC1.jpg

Shameless plug- I will be selling one of these mowers soon so if you are interested I can move that up. I picked up a couple on craigslist and want to swap some parts with the one I currently have. Once I'm done, both mowers will be for sale. Both units are fully functional and in good shape for a 30-40 year old mower. Let me know and I can send pics of the unit.

becpropertymaint.
01-18-2010, 10:36 AM
exmark or toro

echeandia
01-18-2010, 11:26 AM
We use a Honda residential self-propelled. Starts up on the first pull and works as promised by Honda. Sine we only use it on a couple of very small townhouse backyards a week it should last for years.

John Deere Mann
01-18-2010, 12:00 PM
I bought my frist Honda push mower this year. Not a problem!

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
01-18-2010, 12:44 PM
IMO, if you are a solo operation, any high end home model will do fine for at least 5 years. I can say this from experience. I just retired a cub cadet 21" (briggs) push mower that was 11 years old. On average over the 11 years it was used to cut 10 yards a week, some of those yards were in the 4000sq ft range. I have a 21" poulan pro (honda) that is going to be 5 years old and has mowed about 8 yards a week. It is in excellent condition.The poulan doesn't push as nice as the cadet and the air filter and spark plug are much more sensitive to age than the cadet. This year I will be using a toro self propelled that I purchased used from an estate sale, it was used 3 years. Now if you have employees, you need to buy a tank that will mow! I've seen crews drive Zs over the top of push mowers!

MJB
01-18-2010, 12:50 PM
We use a Honda residential self-propelled. Starts up on the first pull and works as promised by Honda. Sine we only use it on a couple of very small townhouse backyards a week it should last for years.

Stock up on wheels if you cut on any slopes. I had to buy new wheels because the tires peel off the rim while side hilling. Better yet get the commercial wheels from Honda, the residential wheels I bought lasted 2 weeks.

MOHUSTLER
01-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Honda, Snapper, Toro. They are all top of the line push mowers. Go with the best delaer between the 3.

Frierson
01-18-2010, 05:42 PM
i use hondas, and love them. I would suggest them to anyone
Posted via Mobile Device

EastCoast
01-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Very simple.... Honda!

mowerbrad
01-18-2010, 06:42 PM
My 20+ year old Deere 21 is awesome. It is used on a few smaller backyards now, so between 1-2 hours a week. It has held up awesomely, I only change the oil and sharpen the blade, no other issues.

But since you can't buy those anymore, I would say that in today's market the exmark metro 21 is probably the best right now.

ed2hess
01-18-2010, 07:43 PM
I bought my frist Honda push mower this year. Not a problem!

Push meaning no drive, and you had no problem with the weight of a Honda:confused:

Roger
01-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Stock up on wheels if you cut on any slopes. I had to buy new wheels because the tires peel off the rim while side hilling. Better yet get the commercial wheels from Honda, the residential wheels I bought lasted 2 weeks.

I bought a Honda 217HRX last Spring. It was used every day, some days as much 8 hours. It was used for about 700 service hours during the season. The 217HRX is a high-end consumer model, not the commercial machine.

All the wheels lasted fine, show little wear after heavy use for the entire year. Obviously, which model consumer model Honda is important. Wheels were not a problem for me.

TheLawnRangerLLC
01-18-2010, 10:00 PM
I have a toro push... yes its powered by me... anyhow, it will mulch up to 8" of grass with no left over clippings. I know this for a fact, cause I usually don't have the time to cut my yard till it gets that longs haha. Anyhow, it is an amazing mower. It is light because of the aluminum deck. hopefully this helps.

NoWeeds
01-19-2010, 08:13 PM
What about Lawnboy's with a Honda engine in them ? i am looking to get a new mower in the spring and i was looking into a lawnboy with a Honda engine.

Roger
01-19-2010, 09:14 PM
What about Lawnboy's with a Honda engine in them ? i am looking to get a new mower in the spring and i was looking into a lawnboy with a Honda engine.

I'm presuming you mean the LB commercial offering. I looked at these mowers in 2008 season. At that time, they were in very short supply, as a LawnBoy product. In the end, no inventories were available at the dealer. I was disappointed because I wanted to replace a LB 2 stroker, Dura-Force.

In Jan 2009, I learned the machine was rebadged as a Toro, painted red, and taken out of the LB lineup of products. This told me it was not intended as a serious product, as Toro already had commercial products.

However, in hindsight, I'm glad supplies were short in 2008. When I had to make a decision in early 2009 for the upcoming season, I discarded this machine.

What I liked:
1. Lightweight (only about 85#)
2. Honda GSV engine (upgrade from GCV found on consumer models)
3. Good bagger

What I didn't like:
1. Single speed transmission (only way to achieve a less-than-full-speed is to slip the drive belt)
2. Such limited interest and success in manufacturing, the machine was quick to become an orphan
3. Bag is pretty small

I'm so glad I scrapped my interest. I bought a Honda HRX217, Cruise Control. I am very happy that I choose the Honda mower over the LB/Toro. The Honda ran well for over 700 service hours in the 2009 season, with a couple of repairs. The GCV engine held up well. The bagger proved to be very good. The on-the-go, and no-tools, no extra-parts, feature of the Honda with a shutter was a huge time saver, saving bagging. The mulch feature (double blades) worked much better than either my former LB, or my Toro ProLine. I think the handling is a bit cumbersome, despite 90# weight.

I hope this helps answer your question from ONE viewpoint.

georgiagrass
01-20-2010, 03:29 AM
Honda Commercial. We've had pretty good luck with them, although they are pretty expensive. We've also experimented with the John Deere JS 40 and JS 63 which have the castor front wheels. They turn effortlessly on a dime, and they cost about half what the Hondas cost.

TheLawnRangerLLC
01-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Ya, the commercial toro that I have was quite pricy to have no self propel...but it cuts GREAT.

sawinredneck
01-20-2010, 09:11 PM
My 20+ year old Deere 21 is awesome. It is used on a few smaller backyards now, so between 1-2 hours a week. It has held up awesomely, I only change the oil and sharpen the blade, no other issues.

But since you can't buy those anymore, I would say that in today's market the exmark metro 21 is probably the best right now.

JD is re-releasing the JX-75, it's supposed to be ready for spring. Awsome machines if you have the nuts to drop the money on them!

Brothers_Landscaping
03-20-2010, 05:37 PM
I have a Toro Personalpace that's 4 years old, Love the thing, poor thing gets no attention from me thought, I don't even service it out side of sharpening the blades

Loadsmasher
03-21-2010, 02:05 AM
Snapper with Kawi or Honda motor. Excellent bagging or mulching, easy and cheap repairs for the drive system (though seldom needed).

joed
03-21-2010, 08:32 AM
JD is re-releasing the JX-75, it's supposed to be ready for spring. Awsome machines if you have the nuts to drop the money on them!

Does anyone have any information on these mowers?

EcoGreen Services
03-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Anything with a Honda GSV Engine.

I've had great luck with the Honda HRC series mowers. They just keep going forever. I run synthetic oil in them and I'm sure a couple are well over 2000 hours.

That being said.
I got a Poulin Pro rear bagger self propelled with the Honda GCV160 for $199 on clearance last year as a backup, and with a Gator blade it works pretty amazing.
Hell, you can't even buy a replacement motor for that.
The tunnel deck design used on the generic mowers made down in McRae Ga by Huskavarna (Formally AYP , American Yard Products) and sold as Poulin Pro, Cheap Ariens lines, Sears and others works surprisingly well considering the price. Funny how the deck design looks almost the same as the HRR Hondas ;)

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/267138_front500.jpg

sawinredneck
03-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Does anyone have any information on these mowers?

http://www.deere.com/specsapp/CustomerSpecificationServlet?sbu=CCE&pciModel=JX75%20GX&displayModelName=JX75%20Walk-Behind%20Mower&tM=HO&pNbr=0060GX1

http://www.3luxe.com/best_ofs/Lawnmowers/John_Deere_JX75