PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting attractant

1999frontier
09-16-2009, 10:36 PM
I was wondering how many of you like to hunt? I'm trying to figure out which deer attractant I want to use this year. I'm hunting Whitetail deer in NC. Which of these have you used and which are good. Vote for the best.

1999frontier
09-17-2009, 09:28 AM
if other please specify with what you use. I've just heard of those two being what I see in stores
Posted via Mobile Device

txgrassguy
09-17-2009, 09:49 AM
I marked other as you didn't have nothing as an option.

Deer populations here in Texas have exploded over the years to the point no bait, or attractant as you call, is necessary.

My primary hunting rifle is a T/C .50 Hawkins flintlock with a set trigger. I fire a patched round 178 grain ball over 110 grains of FFFg Goex blackpowder and prime with FFFFg Goex.

The load/rifle is good to 200 yards with iron sights - although I did drop a Coyote at a bit over 230 yards last year.

I will either stalk the deer where conditions permit or climb a tree. I used to hunt in a blind over corn but that is about as challenging as buying a burger at Wendy's.

Hoy landscaping
09-17-2009, 08:14 PM
c'meer deer over corn! that in the middle of a food plot. we have a hay wagon siting in a field because we needed room in the barn. so its been siting there for almost a year. now that the deer are used to it being there, we put a food plot 10 yards away. in the middle of the plot we put 50 pounds of corn out, then cmeer deere on the corn. its a deer magnet for us.

Mike Blevins
09-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Alot of scouting and washing hunting clothes with the scent wash. I use scent attractants but don't hunt over any "bait" as its illegal to do here in Va. Have had a cousin get caught hunting over bait (corn) and had to pay a fine. Not to mention a day off work to go to court that was 55 miles away twice because they postponed it the first time.

Junior M
09-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Corn.. :D :cool2:

No really, we do nothing but hunt over the corn/food plot or run dogs, which happens to be my favorite.. :cool2:

kootoomootoo
09-19-2009, 10:52 PM
how is sitting up a tree hunting.................sounds like a sport for pussies

Junior M
09-19-2009, 10:54 PM
how is sitting up a tree hunting.................sounds like a sport for pussies
If your not hunting over bait, it is a sport, its one hell of a challenge..

Grow some balls, get back to your roots and kill your food. Your the pussy..

lawns Etc
09-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Around here if you put out 500 lb of corn tommorrow its gone as there are about 200 turkeys there all day destroying the corn. Our Turkey season is a joke here 1 bird only in the spring and 1 in fall. As far as deer bait the king right now is hunt the trails that lead to the crops but in about 2 weeks any bait is a joke because when the 1st acorn falls thats where you want to be in the oaks. But when the acorns slow down carrots and sugarbeets are king for me.

Junior M
09-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Around here if you put out 500 lb of corn tommorrow its gone as there are about 200 turkeys there all day destroying the corn. Our Turkey season is a joke here 1 bird only in the spring and 1 in fall. As far as deer bait the king right now is hunt the trails that lead to the crops but in about 2 weeks any bait is a joke because when the 1st acorn falls thats where you want to be in the oaks. But when the acorns slow down carrots and sugarbeets are king for me.
Thats going to be my strategy in Ohio, hunting the trail to the food source because usually snow and freezing rain is falling during Thanksgiving. I normally hunted Muzzleloader season in Ohio(4 days afte christmas) just sitting on trails to where they bedded down, but I've got a feeling that isnt going to cut it this year being how cold it gets so quick..