PDA

View Full Version : New Mower Help

JCLawn and more
09-16-2009, 10:15 PM
The bottom line is I want a new ztr mower with a 60inch cut for no more than $6000 I am looking a bad boy from TSC a Toro Titan 6050 and a JD 465. The JD has a 25 hp Kawasaki, the Toro has a 26hp Kawasaki and the Badboy has a 25h Kohler. They all have 60in decks except the JD and it has a 62in. TSC said the badboy will do 9-12mph but the web site said it will do 7mph so I think TSC is giving me a line. The toro will do 7.5 mph and the JD will do 9mph. The toro has a fabricated 10 gauge deck from EXmark. Not sure on the badboy but its thick, and the JD is a 10 gauge stamped deck. All the JD's have stamped decks(even the commercial ones). The badboy and toro has a hydro gear pump/transmission and the JD has one commercial style pump with 2 wheel motors. the badboy is the cheapest at like $5300 and the JD is $6000

The question is which should I buy? What would you guys buy and why? If anyone has any of these tell me how you like them.

unkownfl
09-16-2009, 11:49 PM
they all look like they are from home depot. I doubt those are the real manufacturers.

birdman0494
09-17-2009, 02:39 AM
Your price shouldnt be a defining factor, if I remember I was cutting st augistine 22/48 and at 4 inches and wot sometimes id bog down downsize your deck

JCLawn and more
09-17-2009, 06:46 AM
they all look like they are from home depot. I doubt those are the real manufacturers.

normally I would have to agree but toro and Badboy does not outsource. The JD looks way better in person and the components are beefy. You all must remember that I am using a toro Time cutter 17/42Z(cheap mower) that I put up to 30 hours a week on and that thing has about 1000hrs on it if not more. I can still beat most any professional company in our area as far as cut wise with the stupid thing. I can not justify going out to buy something $9000-$17000. This is only my first year of mowing! I also have to finance whatever I get, but if it is $6,000 then I can pay it off in one year and then get something else the next if I have problems.

JCLawn and more
09-17-2009, 06:53 AM
Your price shouldnt be a defining factor, if I remember I was cutting st augistine 22/48 and at 4 inches and wot sometimes id bog down downsize your deck

what mower was that? I drove a brush hog that did 10mph and had a 25hp motor and thing did a perfect cut, bit I admit it did bog down. I don't do tall stuff all that often. I have mowed stuff over 4foot high with my 17/42z(had to go over it twice though)

topsites
09-17-2009, 06:58 AM
Why not consider a walker instead?

JCLawn and more
09-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Why not consider a walker instead?

would you mow up to 7 acres with a walk behind? one 7 and 6 and one 5. those are my biggest lawns.

John deer Z
09-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Those are all residential mowers. They are not going to be as rigid and tough and as long lasting as a commercial mower. I have JD equipment and love my stuff. If you are not wanting to spend more than 6000 then why not get a good low hour commercial mower that will last you a while.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
09-17-2009, 09:55 AM
JCLawn - I would purchase a good condition used commercial mower if I were you. There are a LOT of them that people are selling this time of year when they quit mowing lawns on the side. Check local classifieds and Craigslist....lots of good deals and you'll be better off in the long run.

MS_SURVEYOR
09-17-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm a Bad Boy Pup owner. I looked at the ZT series hard. I did not like the engines. But ease of maintenance was great. The Toro was ok. Good looking mower. Hard to do maintenance because everything was hard to get to. I didn't look at the EZtrak Z465. But I did the EZtrak Z445. There was a lot I liked. Ease of maintenance was good. In fact I liked the way JD turned the engine so the oil filter was hanging behind the mower so getting oil all over the mower wasn't going to be a problem. I really liked the 9 gauge 54-inch Edge™ High Capacity deck. JD's get high marks here for their mow. The Z465 and Z445 share the same engine. The Z465 is 0.5 mph faster. I didn't like the air filter systems on any of the listed mowers.

I have found looking at ease of maintenance, engines, deck, service, then price works best for me.

ms

fastbs
09-17-2009, 11:50 AM
JUST MY OPINION!!!
If you have ur heart set on one of these my order of liking would be
TORO
BAD BOY
JD (just because of deck and my experiance)

I would go for a walk behind or stander commercial if i had to go under 6,000. yes even on a 7 acre weekly job.

MOHUSTLER
09-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Pleaes please please dont jump into buying from a box store. There are many brands that are dealer backed and are way better then what you are looking at for around the same amount of money. Concider the Hustler Fastrack SD Its got a 60" cut and a 25hp kawasaki 4 year warranty and lots better quality then that junk. You can pick one up for around 6500. And its 2x the mower that your looking at.

JCLawn and more
09-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Gerrrrrrrrrr. All these commercial dealers are hours from my house! toro is bad enough, its 40min john deere is only 10min and TSC is the only BB dealer. We have a scag one, but they don't sell anything new. I have no idea where there is a Hustler around. What about the small Scag's? anyone like them?

JCLawn and more
09-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Pleaes please please dont jump into buying from a box store. There are many brands that are dealer backed and are way better then what you are looking at for around the same amount of money. Concider the Hustler Fastrack SD Its got a 60" cut and a 25hp kawasaki 4 year warranty and lots better quality then that junk. You can pick one up for around 6500. And its 2x the mower that your looking at.

that is one nice machine. Thx