PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Trimmer

STIHL GUY
09-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Recently my Stihl FS55R has been acting up. IT doesnt seem to have any power and bogs down in normal weekly growth. When the throttle is wide open it sounds like its struggling and still idling. then today it was smoking out the exhaust and i flipped it over and saw a line of oil running down the side which is wierd cause i mixed it a little on the lean side (2.2 gallons of gas for a 5.2 oz oil)
today when i was working it would stall out if the throttle was not wide open

ricky86
09-17-2009, 01:46 AM
It sounds as if the exhaust screen is clogged.

4.3mudder
09-17-2009, 01:48 AM
Ya, I would pull that screen out of the muffler and see if it is clean.

STIHL GUY
09-18-2009, 07:36 AM
thanks. i puled the screen and torched it and cleaned it with a wire brush. it looks good as new

underPSI
09-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Okay, so did that fix the problem? BTW, the screen is called a spark arrestor. I pull mine out as soon as I get a piece of equipment that has one.

JCLawn and more
09-18-2009, 10:38 PM
NEVER GO LEAN ON OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just learned that yesterday. Well I did the 40:1 ratio every time, but I still burned it up. Not enough oil, destroyed the side walls and lost compression.

Remosid
09-19-2009, 09:04 AM
NEVER GO LEAN ON OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just learned that yesterday. Well I did the 40:1 ratio every time, but I still burned it up. Not enough oil, destroyed the side walls and lost compression.

Always mix oil as per manufacturer specs. Carb settings are important too. A little rich is best. two cycles crave punishment, they are meant to run at full throttle.

too much oil will cause carbon buildup under the rings forcing them outward causing premature failure as you described.

JCLawn and more
09-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Always mix oil as per manufacturer specs. Carb settings are important too. A little rich is best. two cycles crave punishment, they are meant to run at full throttle.

too much oil will cause carbon buildup under the rings forcing them outward causing premature failure as you described.

Hum. How do you tell if its is getting to much or to little? The guy at the dealer said it did not have enough. I am going to try amsoil synthetic blend next. Which does not make since to me, because synthetic motor oil does not burn. I want to try a 4 stroke. I like 4 strokes better

underPSI
09-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Sounds to me like you need to talk to a different guy or possibly a different dealer. 40:1 is richer that Stihl recommends. Also, synthetic oil does burn. I use Klotz synthetic in all my 2-stroke equipment and Mobil1 in all my 4-stroke stuff. I am still using a Stihl FS85 as a piece of my front line equipment (not backup) that I bought back in '01. The only thing I've ever had to do to that thing is replace the air filter and spark plug. Never had to make one adjustment on that thing at all.

ricky86
09-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Well , you just doomed that trimmer. I agree. Synthetics are superior, but people moan and groan about the price. Typical. "I cant see the forest, all the dam trees are in the way."

JCLawn and more
09-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Im stuck with MTD weed whackers right now because I run different attachments. I did like the one I had. It was a 31cc and it ran rings around my friends 25cc echo. All I could find to replace it was a 25cc and that needs to be adjusted and it takes a special tool. This next year I want to get a big one. I want a chainsaw with a trimming end basically, any ideas? I also saw in the owners manual not to use marine 2stroke oil. I did, worked well until it did not work at all. Anyone know the difference?