PDA

View Full Version : One of the days you just want to scream!

4.3mudder
09-17-2009, 01:46 AM
So, the first half of today was literally horrible. First off, get to the second property I need to cut, this has been the second time to mow. There was this stupid dog cable that i guess was tied to the branch and went to something in the ground. Well, I was making a corner then wam here it comes just pulling itself in.

So, didnt have a pair of bolt cutters, so finally only thing I could do was take the blade off. Had minimal tools, had a small cresent wrench that would work.

What a mess.

So, later on, I was cutting a new place and was turning around a power pole, when all of a sudden wam something undernieth the deck starts clonkin. I back up real quick, well, the sound does not go away. So, shut everything down, and look underneith blade and everything looked fine, then i look real close, and there is a chunk of the spindle housing gone!. The hit must have hit so hard that it broke part of it off. So, I had 9 more yards to do, and I needed that ZTR on everyone one of them. I managed to get everything vut, but it was one rough day. I'm glad those days don't come to often.

I don't know what that thing is, but it had like a 3/4 to 1 inch cable coming up to that piece you see on the ground That thing was about a foot from the pole itself.

Kennedy Landscaping
09-17-2009, 01:53 AM
Thats a ground stake, they usually have a copper or gold wire that connects to them. They do just what they're called. Ground the wires that are on the pole.

LouisianaLawnboy
09-17-2009, 02:31 AM
Was this there last time? If not then charge the customer for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

birdman0494
09-17-2009, 03:31 AM
IN my subdivision they are almost always there at time of construction, Just my advice with the customers consent weed whack harder i mean 1-3 inches lower then the rest every time

Ben's Landscape
09-17-2009, 07:14 AM
Yeah those are inprotatant for grounding out the electric poles!! I would contact the electric company before something goes wrong. The ones near my house are very visible even from the street!!

topsites
09-17-2009, 07:25 AM
Aggravating, yes, but it's par for the course, come prepared grasshoppers.

Was this there last time? If not then charge the customer for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

:nono: :nono: :nono:

Lco's need to come prepared for these eventualities, this is why they hire us, they don't want the hassle,
we already charge a premium price, this price includes these irregular annoyances.

bonefisher101
09-17-2009, 08:55 AM
That is a pole tensioner if it is 8' to 15' away from a pole.....not for grounding the pole! We use copper wire which you have steel there! The grounding is up close to the pole!

4.3mudder
09-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Na, these were like 1 foot away from the pole.

The first 2 pics were from something else, but the last 2 were what broke my spindle.

That thing, was a foot away from the pole, it was not connected to anything
There is one on the other side that sticks out of the gorund almost straight up a foot
I saw that one for sure, but not this other

unkownfl
09-17-2009, 11:52 AM
That is a pole tensioner if it is 8' to 15' away from a pole.....not for grounding the pole! We use copper wire which you have steel there! The grounding is up close to the pole!

Dude look at it its a a-corn on a ground rod how in the hell is that going to be a guy stake? Don't worry I am sure the neutral will do its job. If you didn't see a bare cooper wire hooked up to it its either old or some stole the pole bond already. A guy stake is galvanized and has a head on it like a eye bolt not a clamp. Don't worry about it just take a BFH to it or remember where it is. Oh and don't try to take up the rod its about 20ft deep and isn't even cooper.