PDA

View Full Version : VELKE- thoughts? Generic or expensive brand?

Right Touch
09-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Im looking into buying my first velke for my 48" exmark hydro walk behind. My exmark dealer just quoted me $325. I looked on ebay and they have new ones for $199. Is the generic brand ok or is it worth the extra $125 for the exmark? I'd imagine these things get pretty beat up so I wanna make sure its built tough enough.

heybruck34
09-17-2009, 09:47 AM
you're in NJ so your mowing season will be ending soon. Go to the local shops and find a used name brand for $100-150. Buy the bushings off J-thomas and maybe a wheel or two, voila- you have a functionally new, top quality unit for a couple hundred bucks. May not be new paint but if you want that, paint it over the winter.

I got a velke X2 for $90 and spent about $35 on parts. Painted it myself Scag Orange and until I sold it, looked like it was original.

eagleharborelite
09-17-2009, 09:53 AM
The main difference between the Ebay(Havener Ent) and Velke brand is transporting. The Velke brands allow you to hang single wheel units and store them out of the way. I have used Havener's products and the quality is good. They do come with quick release pins that help the situation but it's still a hassle, in my opinion. But still good quality. I have purchased a few of the scratch & dent items and really could only find painting flaws, no dents, scratches, etc.
Good Luck

lawns Etc
09-17-2009, 10:42 AM
I have 2 Haveners and 1 Velke X2 and have hundreds of miles on all of them with no issues The Haveners are a great buy and you can remove it with 1 pin.

Toy2
09-17-2009, 10:59 AM
I have 2 Haveners and 1 Velke X2 and have hundreds of miles on all of them with no issues The Haveners are a great buy and you can remove it with 1 pin. What he said^^^^^^^^I have the same type-Havener-got it in 05, use it a least once a week, worth the money, I could paint it red to match the Toro and claim its a Toro brand..........I wasn't about to pay $300.00 for something like that......

MikeKle
09-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I paid $330. for my velke X2!!! I didnt know dealers sold used stuff? I wish I did know this before! They are a bit over-priced I think, after all its just a metal plate with small wheels and decent roller bearings? and they want over 300. bucks for this?!! As long as the one you buy has all the grease fittings in the right places, I would get the cheapest one I could find. They are all basically the same thing anyway, some just have different pivot point set-ups but still performs the same function.

GraZHopA
09-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Im looking into buying my first velke for my 48" exmark hydro walk behind. My exmark dealer just quoted me $325. I looked on ebay and they have new ones for $199. Is the generic brand ok or is it worth the extra $125 for the exmark? I'd imagine these things get pretty beat up so I wanna make sure its built tough enough.
Your dealer actually gave you a good price for a new "Stand-On" (http://www.exmark.com/pdfs/StandOn_Sell%20Sheet.pdf), as the MSRP is ~$400. A used or new moderately priced single wheel velke would probably work well for you, but for me it would be worth the additional money to be able to fold the thing up out of the way.

Brad Ent
09-17-2009, 02:18 PM
$330 is cheap compared to the factory Toro units - $750+
The Toro unit is very nice, but way too much IMO.

GraZHopA
09-17-2009, 02:44 PM
It is a shame that you were not looking for a velke a month ago, as I had just what you are needing for sale (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=285151).

Right Touch
09-17-2009, 05:06 PM
i know the season is coming to an end soon, though i thought it would help fly over the lawns to bag leaves when there arent enough to blow them to the curb but you still want to give the property that "Right Touch" (pun intended). how about this? http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2-Wheel-Mower-Sulky-Scratch-Dent-TS-SD-2002_W0QQitemZ220475490088QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33555cff28&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Richard Martin
09-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Just to be clear... A Velke is a name brand sulky made by Wright. All Velkes are sulkies. Not all sulkies are Velkes.

The biggest difference I've usually noticed between the cheap sulkies and Velke is the ability for the platform you stand on to rotate 360 degrees. I believe (but I'm not sure) Wright has a patent on that function and that's why you don't see it on other stand on sulkies.

BigGreen1
09-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I purchased the swivel wheel Havener sulky(scratch and dent). ~$220 I think. The reason I got the swivel wheel is for backing up. If you don't have the "360 rotation" ability backing up would be a chore. Imagine backing up and the wheel jackknifing against the rear wheels. I have been very pleased with this unit. The chinaman that welded it was only a few degrees off!!

Tim

lawnboy dan
09-17-2009, 09:08 PM
buying a havner is false economy-they are poorly built and parts wear out quickly-even with daily greasing. just try to get parts for one! my 2 velkies has lasted 2X the havner and are much lighter and parts are easy to find. my havner now sits in my junk pile -where it belongs

Troyer
09-17-2009, 10:04 PM
I cant speak any other brand but Velke. I have used the same X2 unit for 9.5 years . No issues. Sold it to another LCO for a third the price of a new one. Just purchased a new unit. Love the quality and updates.

Its Velke for me.:usflag::usflag:

Right Touch
09-18-2009, 09:19 AM
ahh now im confused with this whole velke sulky thing. So when I called my exmark dealer and he said it was a velke, I would be buying a Wright manufactured product for my exmark?

GraZHopA
09-18-2009, 09:36 AM
It is very easy to get confused. The Wright Velke is a single wheel sulky. The Exmark Stand-On is a "Velke" type single wheel sulky. All one and two wheel units pulled behind a walk behind are sulkies.

If your Exmark dealer is also a Wright dealer it could very well be a Wright Velke. The easiest thing to do is look both units up on the web and then go visually check the one your dealer is talking about. Exmark's are red in color and Wright's are usually yellow. :)

brucec32
09-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Buy the best you can afford. That $126 difference in price? It's nothing.

These things last almost forever, and with some replacement parts they probably do. But for argument's sake say it is worn out in 5 years. During that time you might mow 7000 or more lawns with it. That's less than 2 cents per lawn more to have the best tool for the job.

Little things like how they hang underneath, how they swivel when backing up, how bulky they are when you have to step off and walk for a few paces, all matter more than 2 cents. This doesn't even consider resale value. A used velke or maybe even Exmark branded sulky will obviously be worth more used if you no longer need it than some no-name unit. That would probably erase most of the price difference right there.

MikeKle
09-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Not mentioned here is the Jungle wheel, My friend loves his, a little bit different pivot points but does the same basic thing, Im not sure if it can rotate 360 degrees but I dont think it can. Also the tires are quite a bit bigger than the velkes, that is what my friend like about his, says it is a better ride? plus the draw bar length is adjustable. I felt like I was riding too high up when I used it? As far as backing up on any sulky, it takes time to learn this skill without jackknifing it. My friend says he can run in reverse off the trailer at full speed while riding his jungle wheel, but i have never seen him do this and really dont buy it! I like the low riding velke x2, but wish it had wider tires.

Richard Martin
09-18-2009, 08:57 PM
It is very easy to get confused. The Wright Velke is a single wheel sulky. The Exmark Stand-On is a "Velke" type single wheel sulky. All one and two wheel units pulled behind a walk behind are sulkies.

If your Exmark dealer is also a Wright dealer it could very well be a Wright Velke. The easiest thing to do is look both units up on the web and then go visually check the one your dealer is talking about. Exmark's are red in color and Wright's are usually yellow. :)

Actually the easiest thing to do is look on the side of the sulky and see if it says VELKE. They're also red, not yellow. The Velkys that come attached to Wright mowers are the only ones that are yellow. Velkes come in both single and dual wheeled versions.