PDA

View Full Version : filling the void under basement steps

DVS Hardscaper
09-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Anyone have any good ideas / experiences for filling the void that occurs under outside basement steps?

We have a potential client who has a hell of a void under her basement steps. Water is finding it's way to the void and is then seeping through her concrete wall. So she called us to do some grading work.

Seems to me that flowable fill would be a perfect fix. But it seems we'd need to pump the fill through a hose to get it where we want it.

Anyone have any experiences with backfilling under steps?

wurkn with amish
09-17-2009, 05:24 PM
What about 200 cans of expanding foam?

ford550
09-17-2009, 07:16 PM
We pump in flowable fill. Then grade away. That is the sure way to end the problem. Don't try to fill it with soil or fill as you will never get the compaction and it will just settle again and leak.

DVS Hardscaper
09-17-2009, 08:17 PM
We pump in flowable fill. Then grade away. That is the sure way to end the problem. Don't try to fill it with soil or fill as you will never get the compaction and it will just settle again and leak.

My thoughts as well. how does you get the flowable fill under the steps? Do they have a hose or something?

zedosix
09-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Do you have any pictures Andrew of the site in question. I have pics of work we did under a bay window that may help.