PDA

View Full Version : Firefighter Headlight Flashers???

LouisianaLawnboy
09-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Hey, I would like to know how firefighters, cops, and utility workers make their headlights flash?

ALC-GregH
09-17-2009, 12:36 PM
come on now, you can't type it in google and do a search? People are getting more and more lazy by the day. :hammerhead:

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=headlight+strobes

clinicalengineer
09-17-2009, 12:42 PM
If your talking about the high beams flashing back and fourth, there is a module that is installed and it produces the flashing. There are like 4 flash patterns to it.

If your talking about hide-away strobe/led's, the strobe or led head is placed in a 1" hole drilled in the light housing. It is powered by a remote power supply which controls the flash patterns. You see these type in the headlights, turnsignals, brakelights, and backup lights.

MarcSmith
09-17-2009, 01:00 PM
the back and forth flashing are called wigwags...

http://www.swps.com/headtailflas.html?gclid=CNLopouP-ZwCFcpB5god93ZebQ

hondarancher4435
09-17-2009, 04:08 PM
if you don't have experience with strobes it would be easier to install self contained lights. i personally like to use led's as they last forever and are very bright even though they are a little pricey. take a look at wheelen tir 3's they are perfect for putting almost anywhere on your truck.

K/B
09-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Check with state laws before installing headlight wig-wags...in some states it is illegal unless you're an emergency responder.

MarcSmith
09-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Check with state laws before installing headlight wig-wags...in some states it is illegal unless you're an emergency responder.

generally that kind of stuff is frowned upon by most police departments. FWIW I had em in my 94 impala SS amazing how fast cars move out of your way when you headlight flash and you car looks like a cop car....

many disclaimers will say on the packaging "for off road use only" ie for car shows and such...so just be careful...

mowerbrad
09-17-2009, 05:14 PM
The hide away strobes are actually legal in most states for utility/service vehicles. It all depends on where you install them on your vehicle. If you install them in your turn signals (amber colored light) then you can get away with them as a utility vehicle. But once you put them in the headlights either as the hide away strobes or the actually flashers, then it becomes completely illegal in all states unless you are an emergency vehicle.

Junior M
09-17-2009, 05:17 PM
The hide away strobes are actually legal in most states for utility/service vehicles. It all depends on where you install them on your vehicle. If you install them in your turn signals (amber colored light) then you can get away with them as a utility vehicle. But once you put them in the headlights either as the hide away strobes or the actually flashers, then it becomes completely illegal in all states unless you are an emergency vehicle.
could a volunteer have them?

K/B
09-17-2009, 05:52 PM

It all depends what state you're in and the local cop's attitudes. I know here in NY, according to the books if you have a blue light permit from your FD, you're allowed one rotator that must be visible 360degrees. But it's not enforced at all. I know one guy (volunteer) that has more led strobes, hideaways and lights on his POV than you can shake a finger at. When he goes down the road with them it's like Moses parting the Red Sea.

Junior M
09-17-2009, 05:53 PM
It all depends what state you're in and the local cop's attitudes. I know here in NY, according to the books if you have a blue light permit from your FD, you're allowed one rotator that must be visible 360degrees. But it's not enforced at all. I know one guy (volunteer) that has more led strobes, hideaways and lights on his POV than you can shake a finger at. When he goes down the road with them on + siren (line officers are allowed sirens) it's like Moses parting the Red Sea.
:laugh: :laugh:

I know we can have lights, I am just not sure of the rules..

Kutz Lawns
09-17-2009, 07:30 PM
I know one guy (volunteer) that has more led strobes, hideaways and lights on his POV than you can shake a finger at.

He's got a little one!

mowerbrad
09-17-2009, 08:10 PM

That all depends on your department rules and possible state/local laws regarding this issue. My department doesn't allow lights on our personal vehicles because we are a combo (full time/part time) department, so there are always guys at the station to respond to the call. But most of the other departments allow lights because they are all paid-on-call fire departments. Typically though, all paid-on-call departments allow lights since response time could otherwise be delayed with emergency lights.

LouisianaLawnboy
09-17-2009, 08:51 PM
generally that kind of stuff is frowned upon by most police departments. FWIW I had em in my 94 impala SS amazing how fast cars move out of your way when you headlight flash and you car looks like a cop car....

many disclaimers will say on the packaging "for off road use only" ie for car shows and such...so just be careful...

;)I would NEVER do that.;)

Well almost NEVER!:laugh:

cableguy2
09-17-2009, 09:31 PM
you need to check with your chief first. then it also depends on your local laws. like many said it is frowned upon if you are not LEO.

JohnL
09-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Since this is the Commercial & Residential Lawn Mowing forum, I just use a foot pedal switch on my Hustler to make my headlights appear like flashing strobe lights.

I'll try to post a picture of my flashing strobe night vision helmet in the Picture and Video Form. But you will have to look quick to see the flash. It's very quick.

LilesLawn
09-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Several Different options available at www.galls.com. Public Safety Website

pg250
09-17-2009, 10:27 PM
http://www.ktbs.com/news/security-guard-using-flashing-light-arrested-after-pulling-over-mayor/ :hammerhead:

Pic is the mayor.

Junior M
09-17-2009, 10:33 PM
you need to check with your chief first. then it also depends on your local laws. like many said it is frowned upon if you are not LEO.
I'll check it out and we arent a fulltime station, just a 99% volunteer station. We've got one county provided a paid firefighter to run the place 9-5, 5 days a week..

LouisianaLawnboy
09-17-2009, 10:40 PM
http://www.ktbs.com/news/security-guard-using-flashing-light-arrested-after-pulling-over-mayor/ :hammerhead:

Pic is the mayor.

I heard that story. It happened in my state. Lol.

That's not what I'm talking about. He used a red flashing light on his dash. I'm talking about a wig wag.
Posted via Mobile Device

pg250
09-17-2009, 10:46 PM
I know, I just thought someone mind find the story entertaining because of your topic. Wasn't trying to steer your thread off course (not that you accused). :)