PDA

View Full Version : Slit Seeding

Pistol
09-17-2009, 03:28 PM
I was raking a lot of thatch after slit seeding several lawns. It doubled the time to seed. is there always thatch when slit seeding? Blew my time and pricing - took too long.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
09-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Yep, slit seeding is just like verti-cutting except you add a seed hopper in front or back.
You will pull a lot of thatch.

Good rule of thumb is if the existing turf is especially 'thatch'y, run the seeder with no seed first to pull thatch, then bag up with your mower, then seed.
I only like to use the slit seeder on thin bunch-type grass lawns. If you get KBG lawns or other thicker lawns, you can really tear them up. Better to maybe aerate, spread seed, and topdress with compost on those instead.

turfcobob
09-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Always check to see how much thatch there is before you slitseed or verticut. IF it is over .50 or even .375 inch then you should remove it.

I will take the owner over the lawn and review it with them before quoting price.

Wear hard soled boots you can walk a lawn and feel how much thatch there is. Soft like carpet lots, hard and no bounce little. When you get to the soft spots take your soil sampler and pull a core. Show them the thatch and the problem that has to be removed.

Had a guy in Chicago one time tell me he would remove the thatch him self if I would rip it up for him before seeding his lawn. Quoted him a lower price ripped the lawn and left. Came back on Monday to seed the lawn and he had a pile of crap you could hide a pickup in. He understood why there was a higher price to remove it.

Runner
09-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Another thing, is make sure the area is mowed down short prior to this, as well. Much of the material many times is from the total length of the blades that are pulled up. Mowing short does three things. It removes much of the material, it allows more light to the new seed for germination, and it somewhat stunts the existing plants around the new seed so the water uptake won't be sucked up so much - allowing the newer plants to obtain it, and again, the stunting helps keep the growth down longer for that light thing.