PDA

View Full Version : front tire not keeping air

bobcatnj
09-17-2009, 03:57 PM
front tire on a billy goat push blower is not keeping air. went to start it up today to make sure everything was working and the front tire was flat. i put air in but it blows out where the rim and tire meet. how do i get it to keep air?

badbart
09-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Green Slime. Get it at Wal-Mart.

fly-4-fun
09-18-2009, 09:23 AM
You might need to take the tire and wheel off the machine, break the tire away from the rim, clean any debris between the tire and rim, apply some bead sealant on the tire. After re-inflating, check the seal between the tire and wheel with soapy water. You might need to do both sides if the wheel is rusty where it meets the tire. If it's really rusty around the bead of the wheel, I have used clear silicone to seal the bead. Clean the tire and wheel and put a bead of silicone around the edge of the tire, air it up and check for leaks.

Slime sealant doesn't seal the bead between the rim and tire according to their directions on the bottle.

Dstosh
09-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Take a ratchet strap and tie it arround the wheel. Tighten it down and inflate the tire. Be careful when you un-do the srap. It can take your teeth out.

Ruben Rocha
09-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Or just get a tube for the tire. I had a similar problem with a toro WB. Gave up with slime etc. Added a tube and all is well.

ricky86
09-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Slime doesnt work so well on bead leaks. As posted, just stick a tube in it.

Ruben Rocha
09-19-2009, 06:33 PM
After you get ticked off enough you will get a tube. The problem with the really small tubeless tires is they hold a very small amount of air so it just takes a bump to break the bead and flat you go.
Of course I would recommend if you go that route. Make sure you clean the interior of the tire and rim very well or the chaff and sand will just wear a hole in the tube also.
BTW when I added a tube I also had a option to get one with a offset valve stem which I did . It is so much easier to get a gauge or air hose on it now.

badbart
09-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Slime sealant doesn't seal the bead between the rim and tire according to their directions on the bottle.

Slime doesnt work so well on bead leaks. As posted, just stick a tube in it.

I had problems with my trailer tires leaking down due to the rims being rusty. I put the Slime to it and did not have to add air for over a year. I have since put new tires on it and used a grinder on the rims, so I don't use Slime on the trailer right now. My Great Dane had a caster tire that leaked down in about 4 hours. I Slimed it and haven't had to air it up either. I even used it on a rear tire on the Scag when I cut the sidewall hitting a sharp edge on a boat trailer. It leaked down, but at a slow enough rate that I was able to complete the yard I was on (about two acres). Plus, I always carry an air tank with me.

bobcatnj
09-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Dstoch great tip!!!!!! The ratchet strap worked!!!!!! thanks for all the info

Dstosh
09-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Dstoch great tip!!!!!! The ratchet strap worked!!!!!! thanks for all the info

Good glad it worked!