PDA

View Full Version : Backpack sprayers locking up

gunnah
09-17-2009, 05:00 PM
I've purchased several Solo and Stanley piston backpack sprayers this season to spot treat weeds.

Mostly Surge or Drive herbicides.

Backpacks have been rinsed out after use but they soon become so locked up: can't operated handle to raise pressure and spray.

Does anyone have any suggestion on keeping these units operating?

Thanks!

mdlwn1
09-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Grease/oil the piston?.......like the directions say........

a plus bob
09-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Hit it with some Fluid Film works greatThumbs Up

gunnah
09-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Can lubricating the sprayers be done in the field without taking the entire unit apart to get to the collar and piston where I suspect the the internal parts are that need the grease?

RigglePLC
09-17-2009, 10:22 PM
If...you get them upside down, the air chamber will fill with solution--no air. You can't pump it. Liquid does not compress. Not exactly sure of the cure. Be sure it is right side up and wait. Even if you can get a tiny amount of air into the pressure reserve cylinder you can gradually spray out the solution. Don't try to clean out completely. And do not get the chamber upside down.

Think Green
09-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Gunnah,
Grease the piston.
Empty the chamber........take a hex key and screw driver and remove the outer piston cover. Lubricate the inner piston!!!! Never take the piston cap off with liquid in the tank......the handle will fall down and you will get a nice bath of chemical in the field.
This is said from experience......as with gly--fuscilade--blue tracer mixed. The piston locked up and had to get it working again. The handle fell down while working on it. I looked like Poppa Smurf the whole day.!!