PDA

View Full Version : Went to the Hospital today

AdamChrap
09-17-2009, 06:05 PM
What a freak accident this was but it just shows you have to be careful all the time.

I was cleaning out the shop and grabbed a 1 gallon plastic jug down off a top shelf (been there 9-10 years). The jug burst due to deterioration over the years and gave me a chemical bath from head to tow. It was a super concentrated industrial aluminum cleaner! Had more acids in it then I can count. Here is the label so you can tell how nasty this stuff is http://webfiles.acuitysp.com/psr/psr_1063.PDF . So I spent 4 hours in the ER being bathed (Bad burning feeling in my crotch due to chemical all over my pants). The worst was a 45min eye irrigation, they put a huge rubber contact in my eye with a hose hooked to a I V and run 3 liters of water through it! It was awful and embarrassing due to the cold compresses that were needed in my "Special Area".

Point being BE CAREFUL! You would think considering the things we all do that the last place to get seriously injured is cleaning the shop. You just never know.

4 seasons lawn&land
09-17-2009, 06:30 PM
that is a freak accident for sure.... and it targeted the worst 2 possible areas it could, your eyes and your crank!

Toy2
09-17-2009, 06:32 PM
What a freak accident this was but it just shows you have to be careful all the time.

I was cleaning out the shop and grabbed a 1 gallon plastic jug down off a top shelf (been there 9-10 years). The jug burst due to deterioration over the years and gave me a chemical bath from head to tow. It was a super concentrated industrial aluminum cleaner! Had more acids in it then I can count. Here is the label so you can tell how nasty this stuff is http://webfiles.acuitysp.com/psr/psr_1063.PDF . So I spent 4 hours in the ER being bathed (Bad burning feeling in my crotch due to chemical all over my pants). The worst was a 45min eye irrigation, they put a huge rubber contact in my eye with a hose hooked to a I V and run 3 liters of water through it! It was awful and embarrassing due to the cold compresses that were needed in my "Special Area".

Point being BE CAREFUL! You would think considering the things we all do that the last place to get seriously injured is cleaning the shop. You just never know.Wow, glad your better, get some pictures up will ya....:laugh:

Richard Martin
09-17-2009, 06:34 PM
That is terrible. I hope there is no permanent damage. I've never heard of that happening before to a plastic bottle. The worst thing I have is muratic acid (nasty) and it's on the bottom shelf and staying there.

Scagguy
09-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Off topic, Sorry about your dog Richard.

AdamChrap
09-17-2009, 06:48 PM
I am going to be ok. Luckily I did the right thing and stripped down right away, took a shower with the garden hose. Ya the bottle just cracked in a ton of pieces when I grabbed on to it directly over my head. Still burned like hell for a few hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

americanlawn
09-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Sounds like you dodged a bullet. Lawn/tree pesticides are "lame" in comparison cuz they are designed to be used around people, pets, and wildlife.

Truly sorry about Cricket -- I'm with ya buddy. Larry

grub32
09-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Acids are not usually stored in plastic b/c of their corrosive props. The strong ones should only be kept in glass bottles. I would have to think that quite a bit of the water that the acids were dissolved in must have evaporated and changed the acidity of the solution. That is the only that would have caused that you happen.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Grub

mowerbrad
09-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Glad that you are okay. Thats a pretty bad situation to have acids all over you. Hope you have better luck from now on.

AdamChrap
09-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Sounds like you dodged a bullet. Lawn/tree pesticides are "lame" in comparison cuz they are designed to be used around people, pets, and wildlife.

I feel like a dodged a bullet!

Acids are not usually stored in plastic b/c of their corrosive props. The strong ones should only be kept in glass bottles. I would have to think that quite a bit of the water that the acids were dissolved in must have evaporated and changed the acidity of the solution. That is the only that would have caused that you happen.

Grub

I think that is what happened. It had been up on that shelf for years and years.

Glad that you are okay. Thats a pretty bad situation to have acids all over you. Hope you have better luck from now on.

Thank you, ya when you are sitting in the ER and your privates feel like they are literally on fire and a tube in your eye it is indeed a bad situation!

rusty_keg_3
09-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Wow, that sucks... Atleast you are ok...

hate2work
09-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Thank you, ya when you are sitting in the ER and your privates feel like they are literally on fire and a tube in your eye it is indeed a bad situation!

That's better than a tube in your privates and your eyes on fire :)

Thanks for sharing, I'm gonna go check those plastic bottles I've got stored. Glad you're OK.

LouisianaLawnboy
09-17-2009, 11:01 PM
I am going to be ok. Luckily I did the right thing and stripped down right away, took a shower with the garden hose. Ya the bottle just cracked in a ton of pieces when I grabbed on to it directly over my head. Still burned like hell for a few hours.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol! Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope it never happens to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

AdamChrap
09-18-2009, 08:20 AM
That's better than a tube in your privates and your eyes on fire :)

Thanks for sharing, I'm gonna go check those plastic bottles I've got stored. Glad you're OK.

lol, I'm not sure what would be worse.
Woke up this morning with red burns everywhere the acid was heavy. Not cool.

44DCNF
09-18-2009, 01:10 PM
I would concentrate on staying super hydrated, eat a diet high in cleansing and healing foods for the bodies filtering/waste removal systems involved (liver kidneys, lungs, etc.), do a couple liver flushes, take a mix of digestive and metabolic enzyme supplements, and do an herbal cleanse or two in the coming months. All this, as I imagine you will have some toxicity issues resulting. The groin is one of a few, if not the worst place to have a chemical exposure accident. Best Wishes for a full healthy recovery from you injuries.

MarcSmith
09-18-2009, 01:24 PM
many nasty stuff, you know its bad when its pH is 1-2 AFTER is been diluted.....

Actually most acids are stored in plastic containers since they are generally less likly to break when dropped, unlike their glass counterparts. when I ordered batteries for my motorcycles. the batteries came dry and I had to add the acid... it came in a plastic container...

Glad you are ok...get a lawyer and sue the shop owner for storing dangerous chemicals above eye level... :)

I also concur with the liver flushing....but I'd get help from my freinds: Jim, Jack, Jose, Morgan.

This is by no means meant to be a political statement, But Did you have insurance? Any Idea on the final cost if you did not have insurance?

To help give folks an Idea of what it can cost to be "uninsured"

frotis
09-18-2009, 03:52 PM

Grub

Many acids are stored in plastic containers. Clobber drain cleaner comes to mind, it is sulfuric acid and stored in a plastic container.

http://www.herchem.com/products/drainwaste.html

AdamChrap
09-18-2009, 04:21 PM
many nasty stuff, you know its bad when its pH is 1-2 AFTER is been diluted.....

Actually most acids are stored in plastic containers since they are generally less likly to break when dropped, unlike their glass counterparts. when I ordered batteries for my motorcycles. the batteries came dry and I had to add the acid... it came in a plastic container...

Glad you are ok...get a lawyer and sue the shop owner for storing dangerous chemicals above eye level... :)

I also concur with the liver flushing....but I'd get help from my freinds: Jim, Jack, Jose, Morgan.

This is by no means meant to be a political statement, But Did you have insurance? Any Idea on the final cost if you did not have insurance?

To help give folks an Idea of what it can cost to be "uninsured"

lol, I am a Morgan man myself.

I am the shop owner!

I do have insurance and workers comp. Things like this are why. I will update this thread when I see the workers comp total.

Genlandscape
09-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Glad to hear you are OK, Any chemicalthat has any type of label should be stored at or below waist level under lock and key. Accidents happen, and I,m glad you are OK. Just goes to show that you never can be too careful. Good luck in your recovery, any type of burns SUCK!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

AdamChrap
09-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Glad to hear you are OK, Any chemicalthat has any type of label should be stored at or below waist level under lock and key.

Yes I know that is how they are supposed to be stored. Just one of those things you shove it out of the way, I forgot we even had it.

MarcSmith
09-18-2009, 07:07 PM
lol, I am a Morgan man myself.

I am the shop owner!

I do have insurance and workers comp. Things like this are why. I will update this thread when I see the workers comp total. I know you are the shop owner Hence the smiley...

Insurance is great. better to have it and not need than need it and not have it...

STIHL GUY
09-18-2009, 07:34 PM
never heard of that one before. good thing your fine now

AdamChrap
09-18-2009, 08:06 PM
I know you are the shop owner Hence the smiley...

Insurance is great. better to have it and not need than need it and not have it...

Missed the smiley lol

topsites
09-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Yup, that's some rough stuff, ain't it?

I don't know if you recall but I caught a face full of some Interdynamics Air conditioning flush solvent...
I'll spare the story, your chemical I dare say was at least as potent.
Which...
The pain, that was something else.

Your eyes might be sore or tender for a few days, perhaps other parts too.
I could still smell that stuff almost a week later lol

Wow, glad your better, get some pictures up will ya....:laugh:

NO no no!!! :nono: :nono:

AdamChrap
09-19-2009, 01:09 AM
Yup, that's some rough stuff, ain't it?

I don't know if you recall but I caught a face full of some Interdynamics Air conditioning flush solvent...
I'll spare the story, your chemical I dare say was at least as potent.
Which...
The pain, that was something else.

Your eyes might be sore or tender for a few days, perhaps other parts too.
I could still smell that stuff almost a week later lol

NO no no!!! :nono: :nono:

Ya burned pretty good today. Smell is horrible! Lost my fav pair of shorts and my fav belt in all of this also!
Posted via Mobile Device

THC
09-19-2009, 02:40 AM
I would concentrate on staying super hydrated, eat a diet high in cleansing and healing foods for the bodies filtering/waste removal systems involved (liver kidneys, lungs, etc.), do a couple liver flushes, take a mix of digestive and metabolic enzyme supplements, and do an herbal cleanse or two in the coming months. All this, as I imagine you will have some toxicity issues resulting. The groin is one of a few, if not the worst place to have a chemical exposure accident. Best Wishes for a full healthy recovery from you injuries.
Don't you have workplace health and safety to file a complaint?

btw, I once had poison ivy on my ****. That wasn't fun either.

4 seasons lawn&land
09-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah!!! there you go... SUE!!! Im sure theres a lawyer out there that would help you sue yourself.

Craig3
12-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

If you use lots of acids then you should keep some neutralizing agent (baking soda or vinegar I believe) around. Water is good, a more "basic" solution would be better.
Just a thought, I realize this isn't something that happens often.

grassman177
12-25-2009, 05:15 PM
that is straight up hard core bad. damn dude. i bet your view on storage and the like changed quick.

clean_cut
12-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Not fun, good thing you had someone whatching over you up there, good to hear your gonna be ok.

Merry CHRISTmas guys!

rlitman
12-28-2009, 10:28 AM
If you use lots of acids then you should keep some neutralizing agent (baking soda or vinegar I believe) around. Water is good, a more "basic" solution would be better.
Just a thought, I realize this isn't something that happens often.

Vinegar is acidic. Baking soda helps to neutralize acid, but isn't too good for your eyes (it would help elsewhere).

I'm very doubtful that the acid broke down the container. Acid is often stored in plastic, with no problems. Strong bases actually slowly dissolve glass.
Acids are denser than water, and in lab situations, I've seen the bottom of glass bottles of strong acid, fall off. Its not pretty.

Most likely, the bottle broke down from UV exposure. Did it get any sun (even indirect), or exposure to fluorescent lights?

BTW, I'd say you were kind of lucky it was acid (in an unfortunate sense). The pain from an acid burn is immediate, and it forces you to rinse, while you still have skin left. Acid also rinses off pretty easily.
Strong alkali, such as lye, will cause little to no pain (other than maybe some itching), while it eats its way through your skin, and it takes FAR longer to rinse off (could take hours to fully remove).

4 seasons lawn&land
12-28-2009, 11:26 AM
do not subscribe