PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new Mower for an Irishman

Airwave
09-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi all,

I am in the market for a new mower, I am based in Ireland but am addicted to this site as it is so informative. I am leaning towards a stander as we do a few tricky accounts with some hills. The problem I have is that unlike over there there are very few dealers in my area and the ones that are here all sell tractor mowers Castelgarden mainly.

I have so far read through hundreds of threads and I can see that the Wright mower has a good reputation just quality of cut seems to be a slight issue. Grandstand seems to have the better cut and most of the capabilities that the Wright has.

I am looking to purchase the mower in the US and get my brother to ship it to me who lives in Chicago as he runs a shipping company there. Cost of mowers here is ridiculous and with the positive exchange rate it makes sense.

Anyway as you can see I write as much as I talk must be an Irish thing lol. I hope someone can steer me in the right direction as i will have no chance to demo the unit so it is a gamble but I want it to be an informed gamble. As usual thank you all for your help in advance.

Darren
oh yes you like to know what I own....
Kioti DK 40 tractor
Tree spade/Flail Mower/PowerBox Rake lots more ....
Kubota Diesel Tractor mower
Couple of Honda walk behinds
Blower no idea of make but been with me over 4 years now will need to buy a new one soon maybe buy it over there too when I get the Mower...
Lots of Stihl stuff strimmers, hedge cutters, chain saws
Truck dont have one lol love to have one just to pricey have a Ford van and a Land Rover Defender 110 great work horse no comfort
Tree and Shrub 4 acre nursery
Think that is most if it lol

tacoma200
09-17-2009, 08:40 PM
I am demoing the basic Wright stander a 52" 23 horse power. It climbs hills I would never believe but going across slopes not as good. The ZK models seem to do better but they are expensive. I have found the cut to be good or slightly abov e average. I cut steeper hills than most so I guess the ability to handle a slope is realatve to what you are used to. I can't imagine a small stander on some of the hills I do. I haven't tested the toro grandstand but the turbo force deck works great most places. I will say I have really enjoyed using the wright stander, nice simple unit
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
09-17-2009, 08:54 PM
So far I have only had the opportunity to demo the John Deere Quik-Trak, but will soon be demoing a couple wrights (ZK and RH). I can tell you the Deere is actually a very good mower, even against everyone elses opinions. However, I have heard that wright is more stable on hills than the deere, so it has to have some incredible handling as I was very impressed with the deere on hills. I would probably go with the Deere since it has probably the best cut of any stander.

Airwave
09-18-2009, 10:04 AM
I have found a dealer who may be in my area next week so will be able to demo the Toro Grandstand which would be good to test out. Although dont think I will be buying it from him as it would cost 10,200 dollars for the 19hp 48inch Grandstand compared to 23hp 52inch Grandstand for say about 7200 dollars which is actually even alot less then that as I will be paying in euro. Anyway we shall see how demo goes if I can get to him.

Airwave
09-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Looks like it is my lucky day will get a demo of the Wright stander in 2 weeks. It is the 19hp 48 inch deck Rapid Height cost seems quite reasonable at 8000 Dollars. I shall keeep you posted once I have done my Demo's over here in Ireland. Only thing is that the deck on the Wright stander they use here in Ireland is the rear discharge one. They dont do the side discharge dont know if anyone o here uses the rear?

tacoma200
09-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Looks like it is my lucky day will get a demo of the Wright stander in 2 weeks. It is the 19hp 48 inch deck Rapid Height cost seems quite reasonable at 8000 Dollars. I shall keeep you posted once I have done my Demo's over here in Ireland. Only thing is that the deck on the Wright stander they use here in Ireland is the rear discharge one. They dont do the side discharge dont know if anyone o here uses the rear?

A rear discharge unit usually doesn't cut as well as a side discharge unit. The walls, sides, baffles of the deck are what gives it the lift to pull grass up and cut it level. Most people in the U.S. I think that use a rear discharge are in parks, schools, and other places that it would be safer than a side discharge. But let us know how it goes. We have a lot of guys that have a lot of experience with standers on this site and they are learning more about the Toro also.

grassman177
09-18-2009, 10:20 PM
the rear wont cut as nice, but you can get a feel for the machine. get a side discharge though if you get a wright. they are very nimble and stout. 8000 dollars is insane high to me, but it varies all over i guess. we can get that mower for about 7

STIHL GUY
09-18-2009, 10:53 PM
wright makes great mowers. they are really good for hills too

Airwave
09-19-2009, 03:36 AM
I figured that the rear discharge would not be so popular over there. I see your point on the deck working better with side discharge. Only worry I have is you can only cut one way as you cant go along a kerb and side discharge all over the drive or walk way. To be honest I would prefer if it was just a complete mulching deck and not worry about any side or rear discharge.

Phil G
09-19-2009, 04:39 AM
Hi Darren, have you checked out these folk? http://www.st-mach.com/index.php They do Scag mower. You should have gone to the SALTEX show this month in Windsor, a big Toys R Us for garden machinery.

Good luck with your choice, Phil :ukflag:

skeet
09-19-2009, 06:23 AM
Hi Darren, have you checked out these folk? http://www.st-mach.com/index.php They do Scag mower. You should have gone to the SALTEX show this month in Windsor, a big Toys R Us for garden machinery.

Phil, I like the CRAGAR design rear wheels for the Scag mowers.

skeet
09-19-2009, 06:42 AM

Phil, How does the (verti-Flair System) cutting system work on the remote controlled Flair mower? I scanned thru the pictures and saw the floating fuel tank but couldn't see the blades or how the machine cut. When the cover was lifted it looked like a solid sheet of metal where the blades or cutting device would normally be. Looks like a great mower for cutting along our steep sided interstate hiways.

Airwave
09-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi Phil,

I would love to have gone to the Saltex show but trying to save up to buy a new mower lol. I have looked over in the UK for some mowers and second hand they are pretty good value but new they are very costly. The wright mower is approx 2000 euros more to purchase over in the UK compared to Ireland... I love the look of the Scags and they always get great reviews. Unfortunatly I have to many contracts with lots of hills. There is no Scag dealer in Ireland that i am aware of so spare parts warranty etc would be an issue and they are very expensive.... Still i would love to own a Scag one day nearly bought a Turf Tiger from Stuart Taylors 2nd hand but was just a little pricey otherwise i would have been the proud owner of one.

tacoma200
09-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Airwave, it sounds like you are in rather unusual position. I would take my time and do much more research before making my decision. I don't think most standers are that good on hills, especially as wet as it is there. Yes I would look into mulching, bagging or using a chute blocker when cutting next to sidewalks, flower beds, etc. I would want to demo what I was going to buy if possible. What is the size of your lots, accounts? Anyway you could send pictures of the hills, slopes, or typical account there?

Airwave
09-19-2009, 04:57 PM
Completely agree Tacoma, I wont rush into making the purchase if I make one at all as things are very tough over here. Ireland is in a very bad way with regards to the recession much worse then most countries so I have to ensure I have enough capital for next year to survive. Lucky for me I found some dealers who let me demo the mowers so i can see how they fair in our odd climate and wet climate. I dont have that many accounts as we are a landscaping company and the maintenance work is to supplement the business sometimes it gets in the way of other jobs but great to have the regular work. I will be bidding for a couple of large estates in the new year because of my fear of how bad next year may be (hopefully i am wrong). I certainly wont be going the baggging route as it just doesnt work out as there is no where to dump grass plus it means another trailer to take with us just to collect it all...

Phil G
09-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Phil, How does the (verti-Flair System) cutting system work on the remote controlled Flair mower? I scanned thru the pictures and saw the floating fuel tank but couldn't see the blades or how the machine cut. When the cover was lifted it looked like a solid sheet of metal where the blades or cutting device would normally be. Looks like a great mower for cutting along our steep sided interstate hiways.

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Unless this one differs all our Flail type mower and cutters resemble this system

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/PhilGz/Flail.jpg

Good luck, Phil