PDA

View Full Version : ZTR Tips Over, Traps man in pond.....

mjealey
09-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Here is the linnk...

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/springfield-news/mower-tips-traps-man-under-water-304081.html?showComments=true#comments

Everyday I check the paper where I grew up, and this was the headline. The man was mowing by a lake and it tippped over pinning him under water. Another men came and was able to get the mower off of him and they were able to bring him back. The gentleman that saw the accident and helped him, suffered a heart attack from helping. 2 men in critical condition.

Stories likes this makes me rethink of safety and be very careful.

Total Grounds Maintenance
09-17-2009, 11:28 PM
I wonder if the safety bar was still there? It also appears that he took off the safety pontoons for mowing around the lake.

Not really a funny situation, hopefully they both make a full recovery.

madisonpressurewashing
09-17-2009, 11:31 PM
May God bless them!

mowerbrad
09-17-2009, 11:45 PM
These kind of accidents really do make you realize that we are in a dangerous profession. But that is exactly why we need to be extremely careful and know our limits when we are working around drop offs or water.

I hope these guys make a full recovery.

Kind of bad that the rescuer suffered chest pains from helping this guy out. Hopefully it wasn't an M.I.

Hawkshot99
09-18-2009, 12:03 AM
How did he get trapped under the mower? It is still sitting upright.

tacoma200
09-18-2009, 12:50 AM
I know of at least 2 roll over in my county this year (one went off a small cliff, had to be flown out by helicopter). That's one reason I'm looking at all options for steep areas.
Posted via Mobile Device

soloscaperman
09-18-2009, 12:55 AM
I don't get people mowing on a slop near water. Hire a prof mower or just weed wack the slope or use a small mower.

FastMan
09-18-2009, 12:55 AM
This is an area where a stander appears to have definate safety advantages.

Total Grounds Maintenance
09-18-2009, 01:13 AM
This is an area where a stander appears to have definate safety advantages.

or a sprayer and some remuda Thumbs Up

AmGreen
09-18-2009, 07:57 AM
How did he get trapped under the mower? It is still sitting upright.

I'm guessing they stood it up when they got him out.

pflasch
09-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Did anyone notice that the ROPS was not locked in position, and is folded down?
Geez... some people don't use the systems that come on the mowers anymore... or they defeat the lockout safety systems designed to protect them!

mjealey
09-18-2009, 10:44 AM
It is a little confusong to me. I am guessing the picture you see they had already flipped the mower back over. If I had to guess he was going down the embankment at an angle toward the lake. He lost traction on the rear wheels and the mower sort of slid down into the pond. When one side hit the water it was barely steep enough and caused the mower tires to stick and it rolled on him. The article said he was wearing his seatbelt. That was probably part of the problem. He couldn't bail when it started turning over. Once he turned over, he couldn't undo the seatbelt under water and he was stuck. That is just my guess, but who knows.

Kutz Lawns
09-18-2009, 12:22 PM
I would never wear a seat belt on a mower!

ALC-GregH
09-18-2009, 12:38 PM
it would be hard enough to get the sticks open into neutral to bail let alone pop the seatbelt. I'll never wear a seatbelt while mowing. I get nervous when I even get close to something potentially life threatening.

razor1
09-18-2009, 12:44 PM
I hope they are alright. Although age may have been a contributing factor....I saw a warning in a tractor manual about operators being over 60 (or 65) could be more prone to accidents. I guess "our" judgement and reflexes aren't as good at that age. Plus, never wear a seatbelt w/o a rops in place, talk about a death trap.

kabrac
09-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Most mowers come standard from the factory with the ROPS, around here the dealers take them off. We don't have alot of hills around here, but if I'm paying for something that is a saftey protection...LEAVE IT ON!! If I want it off, I'll take it off. Why they make mowers with seatbelts, I'll never know. How many people do you see go flying off a mower from not wearing a seatbelt? It would be like me buying a truck from the dealer and then they take out the air bags!! STUPID...STUPID...STUPID!!!:wall:wall:wall

milo
09-18-2009, 01:21 PM
good they saved him and hope them both the best. the fact is there is always going to be accidents, atvs, cars, trains, planes, mowers, walking well anything. they are always going to happen and all you can do is hope for the best when they do.

Mowingman
09-18-2009, 01:27 PM
If the ROPS had been lock into the raised position, he probably would have not been seriously hurt. It would have held the weight of the mower off of him, so he could unbuckle his seat belt and escape. I would say the operator is/was an idiot.

ALC-GregH
09-18-2009, 01:50 PM
If the ROPS had been lock into the raised position, he probably would have not been seriously hurt. It would have held the weight of the mower off of him, so he could unbuckle his seat belt and escape. I would say the operator is/was an idiot.

let me guess, your the picture perfect lawboy? The almighty GOD of grass cutting? The maker of no mistakes and a judge too? Karma is a bit ch I tell ya and your setting yourself up with words like that.

Mowingman
09-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I feel sorry for the guy who was seriously hurt. But, only an idiot, or someone totally uninformed, would disregard the safety devices on a mower. The safety interlocks are there for a reason, as are the seat belts, ROPS and deflector chute. If this guy was an employee of some lawncare company, they are probably going to face a lawsuit, as well as a close look from OSHA about there safety practices.
This whole "Foldable" ROPS thing really bothers me. Why would a manufacturer install a safety device that can easily be disabled, by simply folding it down. Sometime, someone is going to sue one of these mower manufacturers over this very issue, and win bigtime. The only ZTR manufacturers who are safe from this potential lawnsuit, are those with fixed ROPS, who also forbid their authorized dealers from removing the ROPS for a purchaser of the machine.

mowerbrad
09-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Most mowers come standard from the factory with the ROPS, around here the dealers take them off. We don't have alot of hills around here, but if I'm paying for something that is a saftey protection...LEAVE IT ON!! If I want it off, I'll take it off. Why they make mowers with seatbelts, I'll never know. How many people do you see go flying off a mower from not wearing a seatbelt? It would be like me buying a truck from the dealer and then they take out the air bags!! STUPID...STUPID...STUPID!!!:wall:wall:wall

The seatbelt isn't there to make sure you stay on the mower while mowing a lawn. It is took keep you on the mower incase the mower were to roll over. So if the mower rolls over AND the ROPS is up, the safest place to be would be on the mower. If you were to fall off while rolling over with the ROPS up, chances would be that you would be crushed/ran over by the mower.

JeffNY
09-18-2009, 06:00 PM
ROPS down, seatbelt on.....not too smart.

prizeprop
09-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Geez... some people don't use the systems that come on the mowers anymore... or they defeat the lockout safety systems designed to protect them!

But the other safety feature almost killed him, the seat belt.

pflasch
09-18-2009, 07:31 PM
which probably wouldn't have happened if the ROPS was up, and locked into place.
He wouldn't have had the weight of the mower on top of him... hopefully!

AdamChrap
09-18-2009, 07:51 PM
The seatbelt isn't there to make sure you stay on the mower while mowing a lawn. It is took keep you on the mower incase the mower were to roll over. So if the mower rolls over AND the ROPS is up, the safest place to be would be on the mower. If you were to fall off while rolling over with the ROPS up, chances would be that you would be crushed/ran over by the mower.

You beat me to it.

I need a folding ROPS, how do you go under trees?

Mowingman
09-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Carefully. We do it all the time. also, you can talk the customer into trimming low limbs. That will help get a better grass cover under the tree also.

You beat me to it.

I need a folding ROPS, how do you go under trees?

topsites
09-18-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm half willing to bet it's stupid news stories like that one, make up at least part
of the reason why some Lco's disable / remove / fold the ROPS.
Please, spare me the excuses.

They have a death wish, plain and simple, but it's as much because if they get killed, at least
the news reporters don't know any better and makes it look like it's just the saddest thing...

I see it every single day, Lco's with Rops removed or folded down.
And every year, we read about them in the paper.
But then I don't really feel sorry for them at all, not in the least, and it might concern me but it's for a different reason.

Unfortunately it is my blunt and honest opinion that stories like these aren't even deserving of making the news,
other than maybe in the "dumb, dumber, and dumbest things to do" section.

Why give them the satisfaction, we go out drinking and driving and kill ourselves or someone else,
it might make the news but it sure don't come up in no "we feel so bad for you" tone.
Reckless driving, killing someone, you know, robbing a bank, none of that ever made someone look good if they died
or got injured or locked up in the process.

But here, disable your ROPS so you can go out in style and become some type of a small-time legend,
it just don't make no sense, they shouldn't print stories like these in that light.

Because maybe if they didn't, a FEW might change their tune.

johnnybravo8802
09-18-2009, 09:20 PM
They could get into big trouble taking the ROPS off at the dealer-I can't believe they do that. A dealer isn't suppose to remove spark arrestors either. I always wear my beatbelt when I mow steep grades but the ROPS is up also-this is what is recommended.

kabrac
09-18-2009, 09:32 PM

Yea, sign me up to be strapped under a 1000 plus pounds with 3 blades turning 18,500. I understand what you mean but if I can help it if I see myself going into a pond or a flip I'm going to do my best to jump off enen though you would still have a hard time doing that with the steering controls in the way. Best thing is don't be too lazy to do a little extra trimming before sacrificing my life. And I'm not just talking to the readers of this post I'm also talking to myself because I've been just as guilty as the other person trying to get as close as possible. I use walkbehinds so I won't run into these kind of problems even though you can have an accident on one of those as well. You just got to be careful,but not too careful, know what I mean.

I use to use a ztr at work around a pond slope and on more than one occasion even going very slow, the back end started sliding toward the pond edge. I almost slide into a ditch the same way, thankfully GOD was watching me.