View Full Version : Prices for patterns

jeffie
05-01-2002, 07:55 PM
Is there a price difference for laying different types of patterns
in patio pavers based on degree of difficulty example ( straight
brick pattern vs. 45 degree herringbone) :rolleyes:

LawnLad
05-01-2002, 08:46 PM
A box weave with a rectalinear outline will be less time consuming than a 45 degree herring bone with a curvalinear outline.

Anytime you add cutting, you add cost. If you can run a square design (e.g. box weave, running bond, 90 herring bone) out to the edge - and have only half brick cuts on some of your pavers, that's not too bad. But if you have to cut all the bricks because you have to be at a specific dimmension, that'll cost more. Just depends on the job.

Doing it by the square foot could fool you as well. 500 sq ft of patio with edging to cut is different than 500 sq ft of 4' service walk - a lot more lineal feet of edging to worry about.

Bottom line - yes, 45 degree herring bone costs more to install in some situations than other possible patterns. Figure in your additional cutting in your bid depending on the job.

jeffie
05-01-2002, 09:18 PM
I have a customer that doesn't mind paying ( I think
he may be interested in the pattern k) His question to
me was if I pay 40% more for a particular pattern, is the look
worth 40% more. I know this is subjectional but do any of you
that have a lot of experience laying the different patterns think
that a particular pattern that has a higher degree of difficulty
laying, justify the extra cost. Also, I've did the searches and seen
some cost per sq. ft. but if you are laying a harder pattern, how
much more do you charge.

paul
05-01-2002, 09:49 PM
Each paver type and pattern along with job size and and access, sets your cost. If your in a back yard with no way to get your stone and pavers back other than wheelbarrows, it will cost more than a driveway on a per sq. ft. price. As far as any one pattern being harder to install, We've found that three brick units are the hardest, along with random pattern three brick units with direction changes. Toughest of all are designs set in to pavers.

site
05-01-2002, 10:14 PM
For extra cuts add $ for wear to your cutting blade, extra pavers, extra time, extra trash to dispose. Also, look at your opportunity cost. If you got the first one done and moved to the second how much profit would you earn? Try to charge for the second job's profit you are giving up by letting the complex job eat up your time. I love to look at good patterns. I also love to showcase my guy's skills, but simple patterns earn me the most money.

Stonehenge
05-01-2002, 10:21 PM
I'm on board with Digin and Paul; funky patterns can be a showcase of skills, but can also take more time. We've got so much invested in paver saws (more saws then employees) that the cutting part of the job is usually pretty minimal in time, so long as the designer wasn't smoking something when he created the design.

But a 40% project upcharge on 45 degree herringbone sounds pretty steep, considering that for us that might add an hour or two onto a project of 500 square feet or so.

Speaking of showcase, we're doing a drive way right now with Turfstone and Hollandstone - the tricky part is these funky trench grates we're putting in - it was one of those things I really wanted to try.

diginahole
05-02-2002, 06:27 AM
Stonehenge,

Thanks for the support;), this could prove to be a real timesaver for me during this super busy spring.

I agree you have to factor in for cutting, but I find laying time doesn't differ very much among the standard laying patterns.

Stonehenge
05-02-2002, 07:56 AM
Well, look at that!

Digin, I'm with ya even when you don't say anything!!

I think I read Site's post and thought it was yours...sorry for the confusion folks.

I'm with Paul, Site, AND Digin.

steveair
05-02-2002, 11:56 PM
Hello,

There is no doubt that there is a difference in installation between varying patterns.

The problem of charging more for patterns is with the lack of understading among homeowners/clients and also the lack of understanding in less experienced paver installers.

From my own observations, most homeowners haven't a clue what you are talking about when you say 'well mam, the price is this much because of the complexity of the design'

In all liklihood, Joe Smoe landscaping was at the house a hour before you were and gave them a sq foot price for 'any thing they want'. Therefore, your explanation of price difference because of the paver pattern is going to mean nothing to them.

This is why your company's past performance is so important. If people see your work and notice the 'little things' you do differently than other contractors, for example, running herring bones on angles or doing unique patterns within a paver pattern, you stand a better chance of getting the price increase because the people want YOUR work and not just a typical installation.

When giving a price to a client who you know is shopping around for price or giving a quote to someone who you get the feeling is price conscious, I tend not to fill their minds up with any more ideas than the one of having a 'beautiful walkway' . Just install the straight herring bone, take the check, and be happy.

steve

steveair
05-02-2002, 11:58 PM
Hey stonehenge,

I remember you talking about that project sometime ago. How did you finally decide to do the drainage channel? Are you using pavers and forming a trough?

SCL
05-03-2002, 01:39 AM
Boy, did steve hit this on the head. We had one that out bid us by offering a curved walkway for less. We cut all of ours in and fit the soldier, this guy uses one of those curvy paver, (classico, for those who know unilock). Customer is happy cause he's got a paver walkway. Mine look so much better. We try to take pictures with us for our consults, this helps. Most people will spend some more for a "finished look" if they can discriminate the difference.

Stonehenge
05-03-2002, 08:27 AM
Trench grates aren't in yet... another 4-6 weeks. At first I wasn't going to do trenches with grates covering, but as I began the project I really wasn't fond of the alternatives, so I decided to.

I'll post a pic or two when it's done.