PDA

View Full Version : New Bobcat Predator Pro....Anyone else having issues?

bah1491
09-18-2009, 12:07 AM
I just bought a new predator pro with the liquid cooled kawi motor on it about four months ago. The mower has 260 hours on it as of today. I have had this thing in the shop WAYY too many times if you ask me. This thing was like $9,000...my point is, i bought a new mower to AVOID any future issues.

Problems:
Coil at 100 hours
Middle deck bearing at 130 hours
Throttle cable melted at 150 hours
Throttle cable melted AGAIN at 210 hours (i put a heat wrap over it to avoid this again)
Hydro drive belt pully FALLS OFF at 230 hours

I know its not my dealers fault, he said im the only one in my area to have the liquid cooled model and use it commericially. Has anyone else had any issues with their BRAND NEW BOB-CAT?

Dont get me wrong, ive always used bobcat and probably always will. But as much as the equipment costs and as much as the endorse their equipment at the BEST, why am i having these issues.

Any suggestions as to what i should do?

I currently own two 60" zero turns and a 54" floating deck walk behind all bob cat so dont say switch to another brand :hammerhead:

Pennington Lawncare
09-18-2009, 01:38 AM
Mine has not been back to the dealer. I did have to change the PTO belt with a Dayco brand 101 inch 5/8 belt which was around $25 and that happened just a little over 100 hours.

bah1491
09-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Oh, thats something else i forgot to mention. Mine is on the THIRD pto belt. its been replaced twice. How many hours to you have on yours? I see that you have the 33hp generac, mine is the liquid cooled kawisaki with i believe 26hp.

SimonCX
09-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Mine are 350+ hours and the other 600+ hours with zero problems.

terraman21
09-18-2009, 08:18 PM
we have run bobcats forever we actually just got an 09 60 inch ust like yours its 25hourse kaw aswell and we havent had any problems only 38 hours we will see how it goes

bah1491
09-20-2009, 03:51 PM
should i have my dealer contact bobcat to see if anything can be done?

grassman177
09-20-2009, 04:46 PM
i would, sounds like a lemon to me

cod8825
09-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Bah:

Let me give you are story. We have a Predator Pro with a Generac 33 horse engine. When we got it we believed that it was a great machine and I still do but I agree with you on the idea that it seems to have more issues than should. So far we have broke the bar on the back of the engine that goes from the throttle to governor to idle the engine up and down. We did this at 45 hrs what a crappy design to have both ends have plastic connectors. Also it has some serious idling issues and power issues when not even under any kind of load. This occurred on Wednesday of last week and we have rigged it to idle at certain speed. I do not believe this should occur.

Matt

bah1491
09-20-2009, 07:25 PM
I couldnt believe they mounted the choke and throttle cable where they did. Both cables have melted but only the throttle has needed replaced several times. I finally took some heat wrap and zip tied the wrap over the cables. What should i ask for out of all the issues ive had?

Remington4
09-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Hello bah1491,

Talk with your dealer and see if they will contact the Factory regarding your concerns. Or go to www.bobcatturf.com for help..

It looks like there have been a couple of issues that were simply taken care of after being repaired under warranty but a couple things still could be looked at like cables and PTO belts.

Remington4

pugs
09-21-2009, 04:35 PM
bah1491:

Not sure on the throttle cable issues. I have never had or sold a Liquid cooled Kawasaki model so I dunno how the cables are routed.

The middle deck spindle problem could have something to do with the PTO belts since that is the spindle that the PTO belt drives. Is the belt routed properly? Is it the correct belt? Are the idlers in good shape? Everything else where its supposed to be?

Only had one bobcat ZTR back with spindle problems under warranty. It was actually the customers fault but they covered it. The customer was washing the machine after he finished mowing and then putting it away so some water was just left to get into places it should not be...

As for the coil thats a kawasaki thing so kinda double bad luck that you are having issues with the engine and the mower.

cod8825:

Sounds like the part you broke is a piece of the Generac engine itself. And on that note, good luck.

bah1491
09-21-2009, 07:36 PM
the throttle cables are routed directly infront of the exhaust. No heat shield, or anything. The rubber around the cable melts into the cable " tube " then the cable locks up.

Honestly i dont know what belts are on the machine. Being that i bought it brand new, i shouldnt need to inspect it. The mowers all get washed once a week, and kept inside every night. belts are routed properly with the idlers putting the tension on the belts properly if thats what you mean.

my dealer said the used a lighter flywheel and that may be causing the belts to be junked. I dont know if he put another brand/size belt on it or what but it hasnt happend again for a while.

FastMan
09-21-2009, 10:17 PM
the throttle cables are routed directly infront of the exhaust. No heat shield, or anything. The rubber around the cable melts into the cable " tube " then the cable locks up.

Interesting. I just demo'd a predator pro. The throttle was very stiff, then it snapped on me. I didn't look into what specifically happened, I just took the dang thing back.

bah1491
09-22-2009, 01:11 AM
thats how it starts, the throttle gradually gets stiff.....then it will eventually get so solid that when you force it the bend on the cable where it loops into the carb will actually bend, or come out.

cbegap
09-22-2009, 11:55 PM
This could be a long shot, but do you engage the clutch at full RPM? I have an older 52" Bobcat ZT219 (19hp Kaw). 900 hours and I have never replaced a belt, clutch or spindle. My engine is like a moped taking on a drag racer next to yours though. The engine bogs a lot when you hit the PTO. Is yours just roasting the belt and everything else connected to it because of the high horse power? Like I said, it is probably a long shot, but maybe engage the blades at 1/2 throttle and then increase. One thing I like about Bob-cat is that they haven't changed the basic technology in the machines for a while. So what is the major difference between your and my mower? POWER!! My older Bob cat walk behind has the lever that engages the blades. You can hear the belt squeal a little when you engage it. You would think it would wear the belt fast, but the thing lasts forever. The slipping seems to take some of the shock out of the system. With the electric PTO clutches, there isn't any slip or way to take the jolt out of the system. Also, my Kawi cables run down the left side of my motor and have never melted. Are the new ones running hotter with more HP or are the cables routed funny. Just a thought.

Pennington Lawncare
09-22-2009, 11:57 PM
My 33 hp Generac does not have the throttle or choke cable running anywhere near the exhaust. I'll take a pic of mine tomorrow.

bah1491
09-23-2009, 12:01 AM
i usually engage at full throttle, and im usually moving when they get engaged. im willing to bet the crew guys wont change any habits, especially if i dont think i even could haha.......when i get back from college this weekend ill take some pictures...