PDA

View Full Version : Need seeding advice

JerseyVinny
09-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Ok just some quick backround I had Kentucky Blue put down a few months ago...I stay on top of all my fertilizing and use lesco products. my lawn looks great now that the humidity is gone. We had a very humid summer here in NJ and I was watering too much got some dollar spot in a few places but it basicly fixed itself. I put down some 20-10-10 today and I am going to aerate soon. After aeration I plan on reseeding but I was told to only reseed the spots that need it. I have a couple spots that are like 1 1/2 feet long 8 inches wide that is basically all dead from when it was burned by fertilizer (sod installers owed me a free fertilization) I want to reseed these spots...should I basically remove the 1/4 layer of hard thatch and brown grass or just loosen it all up? I was told to do these spots by hand can someone post a pic or tell me how much seed would be needed and if i have to press it down into the dirt after its applied? I have some other spots that I plan on using a cultivating tool to loosen the dirt and I will probably use my broadcast spreader for it. Can someone tell me what the spreader setting would be for a Scotts speedy green 2000 spreader and lesco bluegrass seed? I can never pull this up via their website for some reason it doenst work for me even when trying to figure out for fertilizers...thanks! (btw this is my first lawn!)

Smallaxe
09-18-2009, 08:56 AM
I don't waste time 'packing' seed into the dirt anymore. I find the best way is to thoroughly soak the ground to settle the seed into the dirt. Keep it wet from there on.

If you are overseeding various spots, why would you fill up a spreader? Just toss some on where needed.

I doubt that, much ground prep is needed, but you can dig around until you are comfortable with the way it looks.