PDA

View Full Version : best water times for seeding fescue

ricsin1
09-18-2009, 12:20 AM
i always thought that EARLY AM - around 6am is the best time......... I was going to go out and buy (2) of those electronic timers 'cuz there was no way i could get up at 6am just to water some grass!!!! but my lawn care service guy told me he likes to water at NIGHT........ he is currently overeeding fescue in his lawn and he said he waters around 8pm for 30 minutes -- that way the seed stay moist for a longer period of time....... he said if you water at 6am by the time its 12 noon all that water has evaportated so your seeds were only moist for 6 hours............. if you do it in the evening - lets say 6-7 pm than you seeds stay moist all the evening and overnight as well before the morning/afternoon starts to dry the soil......... it seems like it makes sense ???

So now i've heard some people water just once in the early morning ( 6am ) --- then i've almost heard the multiple times per day ( like 4 times a day ) - and now I just heard from my lawn service guy that he does his PERSONAL LAWN in the evening (8pm for 30 mins) ....

Im planning on overseeding my lawn on Oct 1 so Im trying to get as much info as possible now.... what is the best time to water ... im overseeding ...

Dirt Boy
09-18-2009, 12:37 AM
Experiment
It needs to be kept moist, how often to water can vary due to weather conditions. If you are overseeding into existing grass, then you should be able to get by with less frequent waterings due to the shade, etc. of the existing grass, but that can vary by how thick it is, etc.
Just watch it, and adjust as you see it needs it.

Regards

keepcuttin
09-18-2009, 08:14 AM
I set all my irrigation clocks to early am. I believe that watering at night leads to fungas and disease, (exceptions to every rule). I like to start around 3:30-4:00. All you want to do is keep the seed moist not drown it.

Kiril
09-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Ditto on keeping the seed moist.

That said, when seeding, early morning waterings are generally not needed unless you are dealing with a very sandy soil.