PDA

View Full Version : What are your experiences with the Honda HHT25SLTAT string trimmer?

Merkava_4
09-18-2009, 02:46 AM
Since we've been having a flush of threads about string trimmers, I figure I'd throw mine in too.

I've always wondered about the 4-stroke Honda trimmer. Discuss.... :)

Alan0354
09-18-2009, 03:12 AM
I just put on another thread not too long ago, I have problem getting warrante repair from Honda that turn out to be a defect......I found metal fragments in the carb that they blamed I used old gas!!! I heard people here have issue getting warrante repair from Honda too.

On top of that, Honda trimmers are heavy and only come with cable drive and absolutely no attachments option for it. If you like Honda GX25 4 cycle engine, look into Husqvarna 324Lx or LDx. They are lighter, using Honda GX25 engine and you might have better luck with their warrante if you ever need it.

GX25 is a very good engine. I have the HHT31SUNBA big 31cc trimmer and I have the Mantis with the GX25 engine. It is quiet, it make the regular 2 cycle trimmer feel like a vibrator. It is so smooth. I have no reservation with the Honda engine, just with the Honda warrante.

Merkava_4
09-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks for your post Alan. :)

I checked out the Husqvarna, but I don't like the two piece shaft. :(

RonAyersMotorsports
09-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Check out a STIHL. The FS 90R string trimmer or the FS100RX lightweight awsome power. Only $299.95 or $339.95. And alot more power over the Honda that is $329.95.

Alan0354
09-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks for your post Alan. :)

I checked out the Husqvarna, but I don't like the two piece shaft. :(

I want to clarify, when I said attachment option, I don't mean multi tool power head. If you look at Shindaiwa, Stihl and others, you can take out just the trim head and put other devices like cultivator, brush etc. Check out the catalogs. Honda don't make any of those accessories for their trimmers. You only get what you see. The is exactly how I feel about my big Honda. I so wish they have other heads now that I don't use it as a trimmer anymore. It is now become wall flower in the garage. :laugh::laugh: Still look like brand new...............It is an expensive trimmer to show off!!!! It is the Lexus of trimmer!!!:laugh::laugh::hammerhead:

If you like 4 cycle trimmer, check out Makita/Robin 25cc 4 cycle trimmer. Not very expensive. A lot of good reviews. I was told that the engine even have cast iron lining!!!!( don't quote me on this one, I cannot verify this).

equip4u
09-18-2009, 12:44 PM
You have nothing to worry about with honda's warranty. As a Honda dealer they have one of the best working dealer warranties to be had. As far as the carb problem, you will find NO other manufacture to even think about warranting something like metal shaving in the carb. More than likely it was buildup of shellac from junk fuel.

Alan0354
09-18-2009, 12:57 PM
You have nothing to worry about with honda's warranty. As a Honda dealer they have one of the best working dealer warranties to be had. As far as the carb problem, you will find NO other manufacture to even think about warranting something like metal shaving in the carb. More than likely it was buildup of shellac from junk fuel.

That was exactly what the dealer tried to tell me....It is all my fault!!! Problem is I use 91 gas, never over a month old and the trimmer broke down only 8 months old and when I open the carb, it was CLEAN. Just metal fragment fall out and the jet was blocked. It was a piece of something that I need to use a guitar string to poke it out.

That is exact how dealer want to get out of warrante repair and that is the reason I don't make it a rule buying from dealer anymore. Warrante is over rated, I shop online to save a lot of money and I warrante myself. The dealers can keep their service. If people buy Kawasaki new on ebay, they can save enough money to buy spare as backup.

I know you dealers hate what I said, but my story is not unique, there are enough bad dealers around. I don't think they deserve to be supported no matter what. If you have a good dealer, help them out. If you have bad experience with a dealer, spread the words out too.

Merkava_4
09-18-2009, 12:58 PM
If you like 4 cycle trimmer, check out Makita/Robin 25cc 4 cycle trimmer. Not very expensive. A lot of good reviews. I was told that the engine even have cast iron lining!!!!( don't quote me on this one, I cannot verify this).

I checked it out. It's got a strange looking bar sticking out from the center handle. :confused:

lot0210
09-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Do not go honda never used one that lasts more than a year and vibration is a problem will make your arm go numb after 3hr of use. Go with sthil all I can say is way better all around will never switch to anything else.

Alan0354
09-18-2009, 01:20 PM
I checked it out. It's got a strange looking bar sticking out from the center handle. :confused:

Got me on this one!!!

Alan0354
09-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Do not go honda never used one that lasts more than a year and vibration is a problem will make your arm go numb after 3hr of use. Go with sthil all I can say is way better all around will never switch to anything else.

Honda has the lowest vibration!!!! That is the strong point of Honda. Don't know the trimmer part, the engines are durable, they are being used on a lot of other commercial equipments, bike motor and even model airplane. Durability is impackable bar none.

lot0210
09-18-2009, 03:52 PM
There engines are fine the trimmer they make is a piece of you know what I know I have used them. I used them whene I worked for a golf course because the super was cheap during fall cut down I would use them for 10-12 hr a day and my entire right side would be numb after 3-4 hr not only that but about once a week I would have to take it to our in house mechanic. So with the exp I have with them I can reasonably say don't go there !!

Alan0354
09-18-2009, 04:54 PM
There engines are fine the trimmer they make is a piece of you know what I know I have used them. I used them whene I worked for a golf course because the super was cheap during fall cut down I would use them for 10-12 hr a day and my entire right side would be numb after 3-4 hr not only that but about once a week I would have to take it to our in house mechanic. So with the exp I have with them I can reasonably say don't go there !!

I guess we are in agreement.....don't go there....for different reason:laugh::laugh::laugh:!!

I have enough of the weight and their attitude on warrante.

green_with_envy
09-18-2009, 06:34 PM
I have one...a bear with power but I mostly use it with a blade...to heavy to carrl all day.

Need4racin
09-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Haha it's Merk from the the Garage Journal.

sdk1959
10-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Use a shoulder strap with a Honda trimmer and you'll be fine. Get the 35cc model, more power and commercial rated, only $30.00 more than the 25cc model.

mallio
10-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Mow Cemeteries all day long use only Honda String trimmers. Average 400+ stones so we run long and hard. We change the head with a Orgeon head. Just change the oil 1 time a season and let her rip. Have tried shindawa, and john dere, echo when they broke we replaced with hondas. Oldest about 5 years old. None of the other trimmers lasted a full season. We only use the 25cc model tried the 35cc but too heavy