PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Quest

STIHL GUY
09-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Yesterday while waiting for parts at the dealer i noticed a brand new Exmark Quest for sale. the price was $4000. I know this is more of an entry level model but i mow 10-13 lawns a week all but 2 are less than an acre. Would this mower hold up to say 20 lawns a week with proper care??

STIHL GUY
09-18-2009, 12:30 PM
the mower has a 22 HP Briggs ELS Engine

triadlawnandgarden
09-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Probibly not, the new Exmark Quest Model is more of a "home-owner" model than something you could use commercially.

STIHL GUY
09-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Probibly not, the new Exmark Quest Model is more of a "home-owner" model than something you could use commercially.

thanks. thats what i figured but i just wanted to make sure

zman2307
09-18-2009, 04:13 PM
they're built ok if you don't mind a 30 day commercial warranty.

RonAyersMotorsports
09-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Look at a Hustler Fastrak. Usually around 5-6k 1 year commercial warranty, LIFETIME on leading edge of the deck and frame. And commercial engine options. Alot more mower for the money. The Quest was an attempt to compete with the FASTRAK but not a successfull one.

zman2307
09-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Question: what the crap is a warranty on the leading edge of the deck? Is Hustler going to pay to straighten out the front of the deck when I hit something? Why doesn't Hustler make an industry first lifetime warranty on the deck shell?
Posted via Mobile Device

MOHUSTLER
09-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Question: what the crap is a warranty on the leading edge of the deck? Is Hustler going to pay to straighten out the front of the deck when I hit something? Why doesn't Hustler make an industry first lifetime warranty on the deck shell?
Posted via Mobile Device

Totaly agreed, but warranties dont cover stupid, and if you manage to bend a deck shell......well, your stupid!

Soon some are going to be like the auto industry and give you a 10 year 2000 hour warranty. But void warranties and call it abuse. They will only cover parts that are freak failures that usuauly happen in the first 10 hours anyways.

Im happy with the current system.

STIHL GUY
09-18-2009, 08:32 PM
they're built ok if you don't mind a 30 day commercial warranty.

with proper care and maintenance will this mower last anywhere near as long as a commercial model?

zman2307
09-19-2009, 03:07 AM
with proper care and maintenance will this mower last anywhere near as long as a commercial model?

no, I wouldn't say that. But it's not going to fall apart under commercial usage. they're built about like the Hustler Fastrak, Scag Freedom, and the others in that price range. Cut quality isn't as good, they're slower, etc. but built fine.

if you can afford the full blown commercial units, save your money for them because of the productivity, warranty, etc.

RonAyersMotorsports
09-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

From front deck wheel on left side to the right deck wheel on most mowers. If you manage to bend the front end of this deck in Hustler will REPLACE, not repair your deck. So far over 200 machines sold here and nothing but touch up paint sold to repair any impacts. Your not going to bend this deck. Unless you drop it from a crane or off the back of your pickup at 55mph. Thus the LIFETIME warranty.:weightlifter:

grass pro llc
09-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Yesterday while waiting for parts at the dealer i noticed a brand new Exmark Quest for sale. the price was $4000. I know this is more of an entry level model but i mow 10-13 lawns a week all but 2 are less than an acre. Would this mower hold up to say 20 lawns a week with proper care??

I service 20 lawns a week, all residential. My dealer sells exmark and hustler. When I talked to him about what he would suggest he suggested I go with the Quest. He said it is semi-commercial and would be perfect for my needs. I know some will bash him for this suggestion but he is highly trusted by many in this area for knowing his stuff. And we have several dealers in the area. I paid $5000 for mine, so at $4000 I would jump on it.

MOHUSTLER
09-19-2009, 11:24 AM
From front deck wheel on left side to the right deck wheel on most mowers. If you manage to bend the front end of this deck in Hustler will REPLACE, not repair your deck. So far over 200 machines sold here and nothing but touch up paint sold to repair any impacts. Your not going to bend this deck. Unless you drop it from a crane or off the back of your pickup at 55mph. Thus the LIFETIME warranty.:weightlifter:

I asked the warranty processers at hustler if they have ever had a warranty claim on a deck and they said they have only heard of one. And the guy was going 15mph down a hill on a super z and hit a manhole cover in the middle of the road that was graded up for resurfaceing, The guy drove over it every week and didnet think anything about it. He had to put new drive handles on his mower from flying off of it! And the deck just bent slightly right at the front anti scalp wheels.

I dont think you can get much more of an impact unless like Ron said, you drop it off a crane. Hustler builds some stout decks!

triadlawnandgarden
11-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Here is the basics of the quest mower....
The quest is a homeowner model and if used commercially only has a 30 day warranty.
With that said the quest actually does come with much of the same benefits that the full size lazer z comes with. Both the engine and the hydro motors are commercial grade pieces that are used in the phazer which is pretty much a smaller size lazer. The deck is actually a 10-gauge welded steel deck with steel reinforcement bars all around and the frame is 2x2 welded steel tubular frame. The spindle design is a smaller version of the lazer's sealed spindles. This mower can and would stand up to commercial use.
Now with that said their are reasons not to use the quest commercially...
The first is of course the warranty. 30 days.....yeah. Next even though the deck is built to be just as tough as the commercial ones it is not a true full floating deck which will hurt the cut a bit (especially when mowing at faster speeds). Then there is the mowing speed which is only 7 mph foward speed (not nearly as productive as a full commercial unit). And there are other examples on both side of the story but these are some of the main points....
If you have the money for a quest and want a good built commercial unit to start out and grow your company with i personally love the exmark turf tracer hp walk behind mower. They can take a beating and have a great cut. Plus they are near the price range of a new quest mower ( just a bit more).

stuntmanlogan
11-06-2009, 06:22 PM
There is a commercial guy around here that uses one in the 48in deck and he uses it on his commercial properties. So i dont know vs. a commercial zero turn but i do notice hes got a toro commercial zero turn that just sits on the trailer not to much larger that the quest that hes got. Personally if its the right price for you i would go for it cause it beats walking lol.

mowerbrad
11-06-2009, 06:34 PM
I have an ELS engine on my bob-cat and it is an okay engine. It definately takes some maintenance so that it doesn't "blow up", just blowing out the air filter alot. But I also put sea-foam in every tank everytime I fill up, so it does run fine. I have put about 250 on this ELS engine and it does okay, but I doubt it will last to 2000 hours, I will expect it to last about 1000 hours maybe a little more.

RonAyersMotorsports
11-07-2009, 10:44 AM
I have an ELS engine on my bob-cat and it is an okay engine. It definately takes some maintenance so that it doesn't "blow up", just blowing out the air filter alot. But I also put sea-foam in every tank everytime I fill up, so it does run fine. I have put about 250 on this ELS engine and it does okay, but I doubt it will last to 2000 hours, I will expect it to last about 1000 hours maybe a little more.

Keep blowing that air filter and you'll have to replace the engine alot sooner. Blowing out a filter is the absolute worst maintenance you can do to any machine.

alohalawncare
05-11-2010, 10:56 AM
I bought one new with the ELS Briggs to mow just my rental property (One Home 4 acres). It now has 180hrs on it. The only thing that has failed is one spindle and the muffler on the engine broke. Both were replaced by the dealer free of charge.
I have noticed they have fixed the muffler issue. The new ones have a better made muffler. The spindle didnt really break it just started getting louder. They have sealed bearings so I couldnt lube it. The warranty was almost up so I complained and they fixed it.
I will say over all this mower is built like a tank. I put "gator" blades on it which mow well if the grass is dry. If the grass is tall or wet the gator blades do not do well and will leave tall grass behind. I've found that the regular blades do better in tall or wet grass.
If I had it to do over I would have done more demos. Just my opinion.

StigMX5
06-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Funny, my Quest is under a year old with 20 hours on the clock and tonight my right hand spindle was growling like crazy. I took the belt off and the right hand spindle growls when manually turned and has a slight wobble. The left hand spindle is as quiet as a mouse when it spins.

Guess it's time to go back to the dealer.

piediddy
06-08-2010, 09:08 AM
I looked at these also, they were $3,999 i wound up buying the scag freedomz 48' 26hp b&s for $4800. The scag is a lil bigger and seemed to be made better but does cost more. I only have 150 hrs on it but so far its been a good mower for under 5k. I stick to what the manual says on the maintenance and we will see how the briggs holds up. The scag has a 1yr commercial warranty and 3 residential.