PDA

View Full Version : bulb spacing

grillnchilln
09-18-2009, 02:36 PM
what is the best c9 bulb spacing for: roof lines, trees, shrubs?
Thanks

turf hokie
09-18-2009, 07:46 PM
IMO
roof 12-15" we prefer 15"
Trees 24-36" we prefer 24"
Shrubs ?? we prefer minis

David Gretzmier
09-19-2009, 05:26 PM
about the same.

I tend to use 12 inch spacing on roofs, but love the power saving on the 15. 15 is also great when you do ridges, but I am anti-ridge.

I use mini's in buhes as well. when brighter is called for, I go 10mm mini bulbs. about 1.5 watts each bulb and plenty bright.

I don't use c-9s in trees. too many amps. I do mini's or 10mm.

turf hokie
09-19-2009, 06:51 PM
We have gone to LED in trees, up to 1200 on one circuit. Wonderful, I say...

We switch from mini's to c-9 at about the 15' point....

David Gretzmier
09-20-2009, 01:23 AM
not to draw blood, but the dig has got to be put out there.

"wonderful" implies that you like the look of LED c-9's. I will grant you the warm white c-9's have come a long way baby, to the point they are about 25% as nice as good old power hungry c-9's. I am even able to go against my better judgement and use them on rare occaisions.

1200 leds in a tree? what do you charge for such a thing?

hotrod1965
09-20-2009, 10:32 PM
The thing I have noticed (being an all LED guy) is that people who have always decorated, or have always been decorators, don't like the LED C9 look. But, people who have never had their house done, or hired someone..etc. think that they look awsome.

I personally think they both look awsome, but I like the ease of installing LED's.

"wonderful" implies that you like the look of LED c-9's. I will grant you the warm white c-9's have come a long way baby, to the point they are about 25% as nice as good old power hungry c-9's. I am even able to go against my better judgement and use them on rare occaisions.

turf hokie
09-21-2009, 06:39 AM

No problem. I was VERY hesitant at first. And I agree with hotrod. Unless you have an inc. house next to an LED house. The differences will not be noticable to the homeowner. I think you are upside down on how good they are, I would say they are 75-85% as good as the old ones and the ease of installation puts them at better than.

That being said, we use 5 Diode LED so that makes a difference. The only real issue I have is that the light does not disperse as well, if you look at the lights from the side they look a bit dimmer.

The colored lights in the faceted are phenomenal. The color is very true, matter of fact when we do trees we have to cut the number of blue bulbs in 1/2 because they are so blue they jump out at you. We are going to give the ceramic look a try this year. We have a customer that has had that look for 4 years and wont change but has a 700 roof, that is a nightmare for power.

As far as a 1200 light tree, we dont have any out there, I meant you could go up to 1200 on a circuit. The most we have is 800 in one tree, we get $1800 every year. We get 2-3 calls a year for 40-60 foot spruce trees and people think I am trying to rip them off when I give the price. They dont understand the cost of the lights and bucket truck. I usually quote it at cost and have yet to sell one.

I will see if I can get some pics up at some point this season. I dug thru my files and dont a good clean pic. Most of them are just documenting photos, not good/clean ones to show you guys.

Any input from the OP now that we have gone off topic?? Did you have any other ??'s

David Gretzmier
09-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Hey, I gave you the fact they have gotten better, but you know I am not a christmas LED fan.

talk about off topic-

The wierd thing is I am a huge flashlight LED fan. I've got several custom made flashlights and they work awesome.

I also do landscape lighting, and in a few years, LED's will absolutely be mainstream on most installs. I still don't reccomend them, but they are getting close.

I actually went up to a house last year that had the latest greatest warm white, and was probably a 5 diode, and was honestly not offended by the look. not good, not great, but the first house not hurtful to my retina's. That is where my 25% number comes into this.

when it is good, I will put it at 50% as good as c-9.

at great, at 75% most people can't tell the difference.

no way are we anywhere close to that now.

when I can't tell the difference between an incandescant and a led, that is 100%.