PDA

View Full Version : Infestation of Caterpillar? How to treat?

Silverback
09-18-2009, 03:49 PM
There are literally thousands of these caterpillars crawling across my apartment project as of this morning in Houston, TX...What species is this? Should I be concerned and if so what would you guys recommend? My residents are freaking out. :-)

Keep in mind I'm new to lawn/landscape but this is new to me concerning pests...I'll find someone to treat if needed.

Thanks,
Paul M

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/manimalrox/056.jpg

jbrown5
09-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Looks like armyworms my friend. I would load up on Talstar and start spraying. They will move through bermuda like locusts and defoliate everything in their path.

Silverback
09-18-2009, 05:43 PM
I'll contact a local applicator...Do they spray/spread over all turf areas or just where armyworms are visible?

thanks for the indentification.

americanlawn
09-18-2009, 08:36 PM
ditto with jbrown5 - almost identical to eastern tent cats on trees in springtime. When I worked in Dallas, S.A., and Houston, we would spray heavy on the areas were the army worms were feeding & sprayed light on the rest of the lawn. We used Dursban at the high rate. Talstar at ten ounces per 100 gallons should kill 'em all, but you better spray a.s.a.p. cuz they don't hang around long. Next year you most likely will not have an infestation.

phasthound
09-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Several years ago, army worms were blown up to NJ with a hurricane. We knew nothing about them. Suddenly, one day several of my tree PHC guys called in to say Gypsy Moths were all over the lawns. My response was, "Yeah, right. What are you smoking?".

Went out to investigate, HOLY CRAP! Many lawns were eaten up in days.
They haven't been back since.

Silverback
09-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Just this evening i've got birds dive bombing the armyworms...Like Wild Kingdom out here.

thanks for the heads up...have local Pest guy coming tomorrow.

tremor
09-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Tempo, Talstar, Astro, etc will all solve the problem quickly.

americanlawn
09-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Barry - I've been meaning to tell you about the fall webworms we had in our mulberry trees in late June. All I had in my tree tank was Mosquito Barrier, so I blasted the webs with the MB. Guess what ..... no more fall webworms. Go figure. :confused:

But I doubt it would have much affect on army worms. Don't know if you have an organic product for chewing insects such as army worms.??

Thanks for all your help, Larry :usflag::waving:

Several years ago, army worms were blown up to NJ with a hurricane. We knew nothing about them. Suddenly, one day several of my tree PHC guys called in to say Gypsy Moths were all over the lawns. My response was, "Yeah, right. What are you smoking?".

Went out to investigate, HOLY CRAP! Many lawns were eaten up in days.
They haven't been back since.