PDA

View Full Version : Just tried Scag and Kubota today.

ertb
09-18-2009, 04:03 PM
I demoed the Scag Tiger Cat 19 hp 48" and the Kubota ZG222 Pro deck. The Scag is $7200 and the Kubota is $6750.00 This is just my opinion,both are excellent mowers and suits my needs as a home owner. But the Kubota just seemed to have more features for the money plus I loved the PTO deck and hydralic deck lift . It also had less vibration when the blades are engaged. Plus the financing of 0.0% for 36 months. It just seems that the Scag is very over priced for a design that has been out for a while. By know means am I starting a feud, I have been set on buying a Scag for a long time but with the Kubota pricing,dealer support, and features I am 95% going with the ZG222. My only concern is the striping performance of the Kubota. Does anyone have pics or info on this? Thanks

ALC-GregH
09-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Personally, I think your better off with the Scag.

ertb
09-18-2009, 04:16 PM
There is not $500.00 difference in the Scag for me. They both have the same warranty and in my area the dealer support is far better for the Kubota.

lawns Etc
09-18-2009, 04:32 PM
The striping should not be a factor in buying, a crisp clean cut without clumps or stringers left and ease of operation and maintenance should be your main priority. Striping can be had in many ways via factory or homade kits. If striping is the main goal go Bobcat with their factory kit but either of the mowers that you tried will stripe well you may just have to try some different setups.

ertb
09-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Both mower cut great, but than again the turf was poor quality with 50% weeds.

Shasta Lake Landscaping
09-18-2009, 04:43 PM
I say go scag. Its a "design that has been out for a while" for a reason

ertb
09-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Also my current mower is a Scotts made by Deere 17.5 kohler with 42" cut, both of these mowers I am considering is a vast improvement in cutting quality and efficiency.

mjealey
09-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Yes, the Scag doesn't need design changes, becuse they do have it down pretty good and make great mowers. However, when you are talking reliability Kubota is just as good. They are very well made mowers, and reliable too. There are a good number of commercial guys running them, just not as many as Scag. I would say you are for sure going to be fine with the Kubota as they are really nice units. Being from the area and know what you are talking about over in Maryville, I for sure agree with you that you would get better service from the Kubota dealer.

ertb
09-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Also in Knoxville at both Mayo's Garden Center they will not go any lower then $7400.00. I told them I would write them a check on the spot for the full amount and still no lower.

Scagmower48
09-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Go with the kubota. It makes the cat look like a little toy. The Bota has a mower gearbox, hydrostatic system, wet clutch, hydro deck lift. Do worry about the cut, it is fine. I think it cuts better than my Scag.

mjealey
09-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Yes, I know I went in there a few weekends ago with check book in hand too, and I was hopefully going to spend more then that on a Turf Tiger. I felt like they could care less I was in there and didn't care for it too much. Unless you are a guy mowing 300 reidentials and 100 commercial properties I get the feeling they don't care too much. Other people feel the same way. I don't expect to get a $1000 discount, but a few hundred would be nice, considering I am about to drop $13,000 with them. I brought my truck and empty trailer with me and left with nothing. I have no experience, but I have heard it taked forever to get something serviced. You are probably talking about Tyler Bros. in Maryville and have heard some good things about them. I have been in East Tennessee Equipment Company a few times in knoxville, and those guys were always real nice and had good prices too. Might want to try them.

JShe8918
09-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Just think of what will happen when the warranty goes out and so does the hydralic deck lift. That would be a nightmare. Keep it simple as far as the deck. I love my scag. I have used a friends kubota ZG and it was nice too but i felt that my scag was more comfortable and also my scag left i nicer cut.

AdamChrap
09-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Worst mower I ever had was a 60" Kubota

EastCoast
09-18-2009, 09:14 PM
You won't be disappointed with a SCAG.... end of story!

Scagmower48
09-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Most of the guys that say Kubotas are no good really have no idea what they are talking about. My kubota cuts better than the velocity hands down. The Kubotas are far superior mechanically than the tiger cat. Any Kubota Z turn needs to be compared to the Turf Tiger from the ZG222 to the ZD 331. Any Kubota to a Tiger Cat is not even a comparison.

Quality Cuts PLS
09-18-2009, 09:32 PM
The 48" Kubota, while nice, has a very low blade tip speed (15800fpm on stamped deck & 17000fpm on Pro deck) and could have issues in certain grass types. Demo before you purchase. The Scag Tiger Cub is a proven design, but I would get the higher horsepower engine option, the 19hp is not enough in some instances.

Mike Blevins
09-18-2009, 09:32 PM
You know what I like. Around here you can't hardly afford the Kubotas. One of the most expensive mowers around here. Dealer suppport isn't there either.

theheisk
09-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Scag hands down!!!!!

JCLawn and more
09-18-2009, 10:03 PM
sound like you and me are in the same situation mower wise. I have a 42in residential toro. I asked around on here and a guy suggested this hustler. He said its around $6500 with a 60inch deck.

JCLawn and more
09-18-2009, 10:15 PM
The dude lied. Its msrp is $7600. That is still not bad when it comes with a 7 gauge fab deck and 8 mph

doubleedge
09-18-2009, 10:21 PM
I bought a zg222 over an exmark for the same reason that you are leaning toward the kubota; more features for a better price. The only bad thing that I have found is that my dealer is slow at getting parts in.

ertb
09-18-2009, 10:38 PM
I am down to picking the 2 mowers listed. I am leaning closer to buying the Kubota. I know a Kubota owner is not going to say buy Scag or a Scag owner say buy a Kubota. In my opinion the Kubota seemed more rigid and smoother. Someone mentioned worrying about the hydraulic deck lift system going out after the warranty is over is crazy,it is one 2" hydraulic cylinder responsible for a 350 pound deck, that is the last of my worry's. Around my area the dealer support for Scags is horrible and they think there machines are worth there weight in GOLD. 95% of people on here says dealer support is key to buying a product.

ertb
09-18-2009, 10:41 PM
How do you like your ZG222? Also how is the cut quality?

JCLawn and more
09-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Kubota is a good brand. I talked to the dealer about them. They sold Kubota, Toro, and Simplicity. They said Simplicity has the best cut of anything, Toro has good durability and cut. Kubota has the most outstanding durability record of anything, but the cut is not as good they said. It says something when a lot of companies use there parts. Grasshopper used there engines for years. There Diesels are legendary.

ertb
09-18-2009, 10:54 PM
I tried the ZD221 also, love the diesel. The dealer wants $8800.00 for that one. It is a little out of my range.

JCLawn and more
09-18-2009, 11:03 PM
the simplicities are pretty awesome too. Wonder if they hold up to the abuse of commercial grade though.

grassman177
09-18-2009, 11:06 PM
alright, we own kubotas and have since the start of the z series. the first ones did not have a great cut, the second were better but had trans probs, the third and current have a great cut and no issues at all. they are built better and trust me, that hydro is not going out, scag guys are rediculous. sure scags are very comfy and cut very well. i have mowed with several, but the kubotas are heavier built, more features and not as scary priced. i am prety sure they will outlast most other mowers out there in the long run , they stem from tractors and are built in many ways like them. i would go diesel though just for the long haul

ertb
09-18-2009, 11:12 PM
People also assume they are built in Japan. They are not, the factory is Gainsville,Ga. As far as the diesel, it is overkill for me. I only mow my 1.5 acre yard.

grassman177
09-18-2009, 11:14 PM
maybe so, i thought for some reason you mowed more. the gas should be fine

John deer Z
09-18-2009, 11:25 PM
. 95% of people on here says dealer support is key to buying a product.[/QUOTE]

That is why I would go to Richie tractor on HWY 321 and talk to Mike Blevins.
I bought my 717 from him and they have been great! for service and if they had to keep the mower they would provide a Loner mower till mine was ready!!

JCLawn and more
09-18-2009, 11:28 PM
lets get this straight. you want to pay 7g for 1.5 acres? I would mow your grass for 5 years for that. Thats nuts I must say.

integrityman
09-18-2009, 11:31 PM
To me, the two primary absolute MUSTS are: Excellent quality and smoothness of cut and CLIPPING DISCHARGE. There cannot be stringers and there must be no clumps. ....just my $.02 worth.

STIHL GUY
09-18-2009, 11:47 PM
they both would be good choices. i have seen some pretty nice stripes from a kubota in the past

ertb
09-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Some people pay $25000 for motorcycles and boats to relax, I enjoy working in the yard and want a great machine to do that with. I know it is more want than need.

AdamChrap
09-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Most of the guys that say Kubotas are no good really have no idea what they are talking about. My kubota cuts better than the velocity hands down. The Kubotas are far superior mechanically than the tiger cat. Any Kubota Z turn needs to be compared to the Turf Tiger from the ZG222 to the ZD 331. Any Kubota to a Tiger Cat is not even a comparison.

Had a Kubota diesel 25hp. Now have Toro's with Kubota 25hp Diesel's. Never had a problem with the engines (well not much) both had other problems but the Kubota had a terrible cut and wouldn't go up hills at all that the Toro runs up.

I am down to picking the 2 mowers listed. I am leaning closer to buying the Kubota. I know a Kubota owner is not going to say buy Scag or a Scag owner say buy a Kubota. In my opinion the Kubota seemed more rigid and smoother. Someone mentioned worrying about the hydraulic deck lift system going out after the warranty is over is crazy,it is one 2" hydraulic cylinder responsible for a 350 pound deck, that is the last of my worry's. Around my area the dealer support for Scags is horrible and they think there machines are worth there weight in GOLD. 95% of people on here says dealer support is key to buying a product.

I don't own Kubota or Scag. I have owned a Kubota, I demoed a scag I would buy the Scag.

I do agree that dealer support is 95% of the decision. Just don'r lock yourself in to those two. if you can find a good dealer that sells almost anything else I would go with it over the Kubota.

Just my .02

tacoma200
09-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Not always the best source of info.

JCLawn and more
09-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Some people pay $25000 for motorcycles and boats to relax, I enjoy working in the yard and want a great machine to do that with. I know it is more want than need.

this is true. Go with what ever has the best dealer support around you. Everything else is trivial when you only have 1.5 acres. I mow up to 25 acres a week with basically the same machine you already have!

grassman177
09-19-2009, 09:29 AM
quote:::Had a Kubota diesel 25hp. Now have Toro's with Kubota 25hp Diesel's. Never had a problem with the engines (well not much) both had other problems but the Kubota had a terrible cut and wouldn't go up hills at all that the Toro runs up.

these older zd series had weak transmissions. t he new ones are a whole different animal and we have had no and heard of zero problems. dont let that scare you

ertb
09-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Went for the last time to the local Scag dealer and now the prices are $7400.00 cash or $7600.00 financed. To me the prices are crazy. They are not coming off the prices at all.

AdamChrap
09-19-2009, 04:58 PM
quote:::Had a Kubota diesel 25hp. Now have Toro's with Kubota 25hp Diesel's. Never had a problem with the engines (well not much) both had other problems but the Kubota had a terrible cut and wouldn't go up hills at all that the Toro runs up.

these older zd series had weak transmissions. t he new ones are a whole different animal and we have had no and heard of zero problems. dont let that scare you

My local Kubota dealer (Who I had the other one from) told me he still will not recommend a Kubota ZTR to a commercial mower. He said they are better on hills but still not good enough. Have not demoed a new one just what he told me about 2 weeks ago.

kb9nvh
09-19-2009, 08:08 PM
I had trouble with my SCAG...I would probably opt for the kubota. I would let the price and feel be your guide since both are good commercial equipment and will last a long time (hopefully).

honeydopm
09-19-2009, 08:19 PM
The striping should not be a factor in buying, a crisp clean cut without clumps or stringers left and ease of operation and maintenance should be your main priority. Striping can be had in many ways via factory or homade kits. If striping is the main goal go Bobcat with their factory kit but either of the mowers that you tried will stripe well you may just have to try some different setups.Striping should not be a factor? So what if it is easy to maintain but doesn't stipe or cut worth a ****?

LilesLawn
09-19-2009, 08:32 PM
If you have an idea of who will give you better service, I would go with them. I have both Scag and Kubota mowers and both are good mowers. Personal preference is the main thing. Go with what feels good to you if you are pleased with both.

FastMan
09-19-2009, 08:52 PM

That's completely understandable. My dads greatest pleasure was coming home from work and getting on his John Deere 400.

doubleedge
09-19-2009, 09:40 PM
My zg222 cuts beautifully; it cuts as good or better than the walker that I demo'd (in my opinion). I bag with it almost all of the time though, so side discharge results may be different.

I have a thread with some pictures of it when it was new (the bagger wasn't in yet, so I side discharged). Keep in mind: the stripes were sloppy because that was the first time I used a zero turn mower, and I took the pictures before I finished mowing.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=240959

JCLawn and more
09-20-2009, 07:48 AM
That's completely understandable. My dads greatest pleasure was coming home from work and getting on his John Deere 400.

Those are beasts. We got one, it needs major work. 430's are even better

JCLawn and more
09-20-2009, 07:50 AM
have you thought about getting a kubota tractor so you could use it all year. Plow snow with it and mow your grass.

lawns Etc
09-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Striping should not be a factor? So what if it is easy to maintain but doesn't stipe or cut worth a ****?

If you read my reply in full you would see what I said is important a crisp clean cut with no stringers. Some on here only want stripes which they come last to me and my customers I want a clean cut with ease of maintenance.

ertb
09-22-2009, 05:01 AM
Called the local Scag dealer before going in to work this evening with a offer to see what they would say. Told the salesman $7000.00 financed plus tax with $2000 down. He came back to phone and said the lady that runs the place will only take $7699.00. I am going with the Kubota, since day one I preferred this mower now if I can just find time to pick one up.

scagmanjosh
09-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Wow......thats a lot. I really lucked out to snag my Tiger Cub this June for $6199 from RTR mowers in Clinton LA.....last of the Mohicans at that price. Yes, I got the BS 26 ELS that many seem to frown on, but to get the Kawie 19 model I would have had to fork over an extra $1300-$1400. No way was that worth it, I can buy 1.5 additional BS 26s to replace my current one (AND get another 2 years of warranty) for that kind of money.

After cutting with it for 3-1/2 months, my only real gripe is that it is a major pain to change the oil due to the location of the oil drain plug. Other than that, the non-foldable ROPS is my only other pet peeve. I have yet to take it off though.

The Velocity 48" deck is awesome, I dont really see how it could get any better-- no clogging, no clumping, awesome dispersal pattern. Even in soaking wet grass. Clippings might be a little long, but its only when your grass is taller than it really should be between cuts. I feel I could bush hug 2' field grass with it.