PDA

View Full Version : pick up (trash) tongs?

Beckham
09-18-2009, 04:37 PM
I usually walk before I mow picking up bits a pieces that will make a mess if hit with the blade. I also wear small ear buds with ear muffs over them and radio in the cup holder. When I find a piece of debris I have to disconnect and get off to clear it out of my path. I want to get a set of tongs that I can reach and pick up that litter, bottle, small item etc. without getting disconnected and getting off. I have seen the real cheap ones but it seems they are too short and maybe a little flimsy. Anyone got any idea? I guess I'd rather not pay the amount for a professional set of snake tongs either. Got to be something in the middle or someone who is multi-tasking with something else.

sc0tt250
09-18-2009, 04:46 PM
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/unger-nifty-nabber-trash-grabber-36-long-reaching-tool/unger-nifty-nabber-trash-grabber-36-long-reaching-tool.jpg

this may be what you're looking for. ive used them before and can see how it would be nice when mowing

GraZHopA
09-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Here is a link (http://www.j-thomas.com/catalog/244_vac_catcher_kit.html) for some.

ALC-GregH
09-19-2009, 12:00 AM
If your going to get one, might as well get a good one. Made in the USA
http://www.grapplersinc.com/

timberbrook
09-19-2009, 12:04 AM
The item scOtt250 mentioned is made by Unger. www.ungerglobal.com. I have used them before, they are made very well made and are easy to use. They also come in different lengths.

LouisianaLawnboy
09-19-2009, 12:57 AM
I bought a dottie picker upper from my dealer for like 36.00 and it is really long and I've gone though a ton of different brands and dottie is the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

N.TX
09-19-2009, 03:32 AM
We buy ours from lowes in the garden tool section. We carry a 5 gallon bucket between your feet and stick the trash stick in the bucket.....wouldn't do it any other way that I can think of.

SLMGT
09-19-2009, 10:27 PM
I understand listening to the radio but I would rather be able to hear any changes in engine sounds in case anything strange happens.

I have used tongs purchased at home depot with much success. This is one tool that I don't demand top quality of.

puppypaws
09-19-2009, 11:01 PM
I bought a dottie picker upper from my dealer for like 36.00 and it is really long and I've gone though a ton of different brands and dottie is the best.
Posted via Mobile Device

Where is the site you can see this tool?

Been using this GG-40 for years with excellent results and zero problems.

http://www.j-thomas.com/catalog/09_jpgs/Page-244.jpg

LouisianaLawnboy
09-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Yup that's the one I use. I just get it with my dealer.
Posted via Mobile Device

fishfacejr2
09-19-2009, 11:32 PM
ungers are the best i have found, i work part time as a custodian and we have some ungers that are around 12+ years old and they still work like a charm. they are like $15 at home depot but are very well made :)

Beckham
09-19-2009, 11:41 PM
I understand listening to the radio but I would rather be able to hear any changes in engine sounds in case anything strange happens.

I have used tongs purchased at home depot with much success. This is one tool that I don't demand top quality of.

We'll the radio is just to occupy time and sorts, I'm one of the old conservatives that listen to talk radio and I live out in the country so unless I get things just right I can only listen to it cutting in one direction! :usflag:The muffs are for hearing dampening, still don't have any trouble hearing the engine with them on. Does cut out some of the noise so I It could present a problem. I guess if I don't wear them now I won't be able to hear changes in the future due to deafness.:headphones:

Two Seasons
09-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Don't like pistol grip trash pick-up sticks.

We bought ours from Grainger.

Rhinox29
09-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Harbour Freight carries them. I got mine from my local flea market only cost me $3 bucks. Going on about a year and a half. Still works great

dunnbar
09-22-2009, 07:49 PM
I have a GRAPPLER brand grabber , it the only thing the company makes and they are bulletproof.