PDA

View Full Version : Stainless lighting

Rainman7
09-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Anyone know of any stainless steel fixture manufacturers? I know kichler has a few and Kunza(crazy pricing) but wanted to see if there are any manufacturers that dont typically come up on search engines.

Looking for mod./contemp style path fixtures for a customer.

Thanks

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Nightscaping makes a number of its fixtures in Stainless Steel.

Intense Lighting has a number of good Stainless Steel ingrade, bullet, and wall mount fixtures.

There are some Stainless fixtures from "no-name" off-shore manufacturers but their quality of assembly, fit and finish is not very good.

You get what you pay for, and quality stainless steel fixtures are going to come at a premium. Hunza's line of SS fixtures are probably the best I have ever seen. They command a premium price for a reason.

lightsinchicago
09-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Vista has several different stainless steel options as well.

sprinkler guy
09-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Vista has several different stainless steel options as well.

I've used some of the Vista SS fixtures, and the quality is nice, but they use brass on most of them. The knuckle on spots, and in the cap on the pathway lights. Most people probably won't mind, but it put me in a bind with one designer and lady of the house when they did the day walkthrough. They liked it so much at night that they let it go, plus the husband was in my camp and downplayed the issue.

Just something to be aware of, otherwise a well built fixture for the price.

The Hunza is a very, very nice product, but also pretty spendy. Justify it to your client and you will be very happy with the fixtures.

BrandonV
09-19-2009, 09:49 PM
If someone is just going for the look of ss Joey posted some nice pics of their powder coat look alike. Might give you more fixture options.
Posted via Mobile Device

irrig8r
09-20-2009, 12:20 PM
If someone is just going for the look of ss Joey posted some nice pics of their powder coat look alike. Might give you more fixture options.
Posted via Mobile Device

FX used to offer something like that... I think using a powder coat to look like SS is cheesy... to me, it's not about the look as much as the durability of stainless.

BrandonV
09-20-2009, 08:09 PM
from the pics joey posted they looked really nice, but I know what you mean.

Tomwilllight
09-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Vision 3 offers stainless steel an option for much of their line. It is handsome but you will sacrifice 50 watt lamps. The are only rated for 35 because of the lousy thermal characteristics of SS.

Tom

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-21-2009, 08:34 PM
How many of you are actually using 50W lamps in LV Landscape Lighting fixtures?

I know that I live in a DARK ZONE and all, but even when working in Toronto and other large urban areas I have rarely if ever (really... I am thinking never) used a lamp over 35w. Maybe it is just me and the techniques that I employ?

I seem to recall doing a spec. comparison of a 50w MR16 flood and a 35W MR16 flood and finding that the 50w produced relatively less increase in output when compared to its increase in power consumption. Time to hit the lamp manuals!

JoeyD
09-22-2009, 10:05 AM
from the pics joey posted they looked really nice, but I know what you mean.

Thanks Brandon!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/P1050417.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/DSC_0787.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/DSC_0779.jpg

irrig8r
09-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Why not plate those brass fixtures w/ chrome Joey? Or would that be too shiny?

JoeyD
09-24-2009, 12:36 PM
we have done that. its just a time and cost consuming process but it is an option.

Our Dynasty PVD line is similar but only moves through specification as the cost is pretty high for those products due to the plating process and the minimum order requirements.