milike
09-19-2009, 11:17 AM
To all the experts...

Please help ID this weed??

another pic

:confused:

RAlmaroad
09-19-2009, 12:22 PM
It's a cherry neddle (southern version). Has thorns and great to step on the the garden. Hogs won't even eat them.

Critical Care
09-20-2009, 12:30 PM
It's a nightshade for sure, and quite likely black nightshade, aka solanum ptycanthum. Other nightshades have purple flowers and different leaf patterns. A similar nightshade, bitterweet nightshade, is a common weed in this area. Nightshades contain toxic alkaloids. Photo of black nightshade in link below.

http://biology.missouristate.edu/Herbarium/Plants%20of%20the%20Interior%20Highlands/Flowers/Solanum%20ptycanthum.jpg

Village Idiot
09-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Looks like either clover or nutsedge

grassman177
09-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Looks like either clover or nutsedge

oh you just didn t say that!!!!!!!!!!!!

grassman177
09-20-2009, 03:50 PM
by the way, hate those plants, i hand pull them from landscapes and get stuck all the time

americanlawn
09-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Eastern Black Nutshade. Summer annual weed most common in row crops (corn, soybeans, etc), but sometimes in new lawns adjacient to fields.

It's a nightshade for sure, and quite likely black nightshade, aka solanum ptycanthum. Other nightshades have purple flowers and different leaf patterns. A similar nightshade, bitterweet nightshade, is a common weed in this area. Nightshades contain toxic alkaloids. Photo of black nightshade in link below.

http://biology.missouristate.edu/Herbarium/Plants%20of%20the%20Interior%20Highlands/Flowers/Solanum%20ptycanthum.jpg

milike
09-20-2009, 07:20 PM

solanum ptycanthum looksk like it...

them berrys get every where:hammerhead:

RigglePLC
09-20-2009, 09:13 PM
If it is a climbing vine--its nightshade. Poisonous. Otherwise I defer to the first poster. Raimroad.

ted putnam
09-20-2009, 11:38 PM
In my area it is Horse Nettle. Like others said, a member of the nightshade family. It spreads through shoots from the roots as well as seeds from the fruit. Pulling it causes it to spread as fast as blowing the seeds everywhere with the lawn mower. I was having a real problem controlling it a few years back. I tried everything in my chemical arsenal and nothing worked beyond curling it a little and of course Glyphos is not a good option. A couple of mowings and it was right back again so I did a little research on it. Turns out Tordon(picloram) in combo with 2,4 D offers about 97% control. Researching further I found that Grazon is exactly that... a combination of Picloram/ 2,4 D. Grazon is not labeled for residential turf, so keep that in mind. This weed does not give me the fits it used to...I'll leave it at that. :)

Critical Care
09-20-2009, 11:41 PM
FWIW, not all nightshades are vines, such as hairy nightshade, silverleaf nightshade, or cutleaf nightshade. And nightshade is the common name for the solanaceae family, which contains edible as well as poisonous and hallucinogenic plants. It's good, bad, and ugly.