PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Cub Cadet 173cc lawn mower will only run with choke on

dansikes
09-20-2009, 01:34 PM
I have a 2008 Cub Cadet Lawnmower model# 12a-18mz256. It will only run with the choke on. Once I close the choke (after it warms up) the engine sputters and shuts off. Do I need to replace the carb or is this fixable by kitting the carb? It is also fairly hard to start. Any help would be much appreciated.

Restrorob
09-20-2009, 06:15 PM
is this fixable by kitting the carb?

Yes, Either that or just cleaning the main jet......

DT Lawn Care
09-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Once I close the choke (after it warms up)

Don't want to be a smartass, but "closing" the choke is choking it, "opening" the choke is taking it off choke, FYI

As Restro said, try cleaning the carb, unless the gaskets and rubber are bad, you probably won't even need a kit.

pugs
09-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Yes, Either that or just cleaning the main jet......

Would a kit even be available? This might be one of those MTD engines. I have not had any experience with them yet. I have some experience with the engines Powermate was using right at the end...and those have very few parts available for the engine.

Restrorob
09-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Would a kit even be available? This might be one of those MTD engines.

This is one of those MTD engines pugs and yes there is a rebuild kit part# 951-10868 available.....

pugs
09-21-2009, 05:59 PM
This is one of those MTD engines pugs and yes there is a rebuild kit part# 951-10868 available.....

Cool, I will have to keep that in mind. We arent an MTD service center so we really havent seen any of those engines. Not sure how old they are now but guessing warranty would just be ending on some of the first ones out...I dunno.

I know I needed a valve spring on a Powermate with a knock off Kohler/Yamaha engine on it...under warranty. Guy got a new pressure washer because the valve spring isnt available...LOL. I need to play with that sometime and make a spring work just for fun.